F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 F56 Hood Scoop, cosmetic only?

Old 04-19-2014, 07:21 PM
torpeau
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slag1911
The difference is French (Peugeot) R56 engineering vs. German (BMW) engineering. I think the Germans, especially BMW, know how to build engines. As for the French, well the R56 stands as a testament to their engineering prowess.
I guess that's the same engine that they have boosted to 300 hp and 295lb ft of torque. It's going in the new Citroen DS 5LS R.
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...cial-pictures/

Last edited by torpeau; 04-19-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:52 PM
slag1911
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by torpeau
I guess that's the same engine that they have boosted to 300 hp and 295lb ft of torque. It's going in the new Citroen DS 5LS R.
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...cial-pictures/

Snicker.. read the comments. Peugeot at its finest... what a "Prince"

Old 04-19-2014, 08:44 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by slag1911
The difference is French (Peugeot) R56 engineering vs. German (BMW) engineering.
The engine block is manufactured by Peugeot but BMW did most of the engineering for the Prince engine. It is no accident that it has HPFP issues like BMW models:
https://www.google.com/search?q=hpfp+failure+bmw

Old 04-20-2014, 04:34 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Wow I find this blind love for all things German pretty weird. It's like saying all American engines are great. The truth is some are great and some are not. I would say the same of the French and Peugeot. BMW have made some of the worst standard transmissions I have ever driven. This is not a company run by Gods....it is run by people trying to make money and they will cut corners when they think they can.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:24 AM
slag1911
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
The engine block is manufactured by Peugeot but BMW did most of the engineering for the Prince engine. It is no accident that it has HPFP issues like BMW models:
https://www.google.com/search?q=hpfp+failure+bmw
I think its a safe bet to say that the F56 drive train quality is going to far exceed that of the R56... simply based on all that is wrong with "Prince Turd". The real question is can the F56 erase the brand damage done by the R56... and return a reputation of building quality cars to the Mini brand.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:37 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
If you want a quality build by a Japanese car...

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/br...reliable-cars/

German cars are not reliable... you don't buy them for that reason. They are drivers cars that are vaguely reliable.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:33 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by GregoryK
If you want a quality build by a Japanese car... http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/br...reliable-cars/ German cars are not reliable... you don't buy them for that reason. They are drivers cars that are vaguely reliable.
That's funny.

A few days ago, having just replaced the thermostat in my R55, I said to a coworker (who also owns a MINI) "I love driving my car, hate working on it."

That's the opposite of my wife's former Subaru Outback. Boring to drive, an utter joy to work on. Everything was well thought out not just for ease of assembly at the factory, but ease of disassembly for repair!

Still wouldn't trade my MINI for much else. As mentioned earlier, can't wait for the F-series five door.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 04-20-2014, 09:46 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
That's funny.

A few days ago, having just replaced the thermostat in my R55, I said to a coworker (who also owns a MINI) "I love driving my car, hate working on it."

That's the opposite of my wife's former Subaru Outback. Boring to drive, an utter joy to work on. Everything was well thought out not just for ease of assembly at the factory, but ease of disassembly for repair!

Still wouldn't trade my MINI for much else. As mentioned earlier, can't wait for the F-series five door.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Part of the reason I'll more than likely be keeping both in my garage going forward. Subaru's are bullet proof, very little maintenance required but boring as hell to drive. MINI's are tanks, a blast to drive, but you know you'll be spending some time in the shop.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:22 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Exactly. If we are making generalizations ...my favourite cars are Italian.
I've 6 Fiats an Alfa Romeo and a Lancia. Those cars had real personality compared to a German car that seem a bit bland by comparison. The sound of the Italian cars, the way they drive - they are almost human! But... The 124 sport had twin-twin choke Webber carbs that went out of tune after driving around the block! That is the difference....
So when I hear "Quality cars" ...I laugh. We know Mini's have all been some what unreliable but we don't care..we like to drive first and foremost.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:55 AM
russmini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you want a quality build by a Japanese car...

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/br...reliable-cars/

German cars are not reliable... you don't buy them for that reason. They are drivers cars that are vaguely reliable.
Interesting that Skoda is more reliable than VW.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:20 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by russmini
Interesting that Skoda is more reliable than VW.
Probably only certain VW models use the Skoda name.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:35 PM
russmini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by torpeau
Probably only certain VW models use the Skoda name.
All Skodas are based on VW platforms and engines, with the exception of the Roomster which is based on the Audi A4.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:00 PM
torpeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by russmini
All Skodas are based on VW platforms and engines, with the exception of the Roomster which is based on the Audi A4.
Yep, VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, the company chooses whatever names suits them for their target market.

Last edited by torpeau; 04-20-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:44 PM
zwazoo
2nd Gear
Exactly. If we are making generalizations ...my favourite cars are Italian.
I've 6 Fiats an Alfa Romeo and a Lancia. Those cars had real personality compared to a German car that seem a bit bland by comparison. The sound of the Italian cars, the way they drive - they are almost human! But... The 124 sport had twin-twin choke Webber carbs that went out of tune after driving around the block! That is the difference....
So when I hear "Quality cars" ...I laugh. We know Mini's have all been some what unreliable but we don't care..we like to drive first and foremost.
How did we wind up here? A 1969 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe with a engine and transmission from a 71, twin side draft Weber carbs. Yes, out of tune or better yet, out of sync, hitting the accelerator and stalling. Yet, when it ran all sins were forgotten. Several others followed. Not sure why the really fun to drive cars have reliability issues, but we gladly except it as the price of admission.
Back to the original topic, I had a chance at my dealer's open house event this past Saturday to spend time looking closely at the current F56 hood scoop. It seems as though it could be opened and with some minor cutting serve as a fresh air intake. While I don't plan to mod mine, I can take pictures once it arrives in a few weeks. The air intake plenum is mounted right below it in the F56.

Tom

Old 09-29-2016, 08:33 AM
j.p.francis@wanadoo.fr
1st Gear
The hood scoop on my 2007 want missing yesterday.....I think some kids yanked it off.
There is definitely an opening there now........

My most resent hallucination: The car runs better.....

Questions to the higher gears:
Does a cooler turbo run better?
Would air rushing in affect any heat sensors ?
Does rain entering the scoop cause damage?
Thanks a bunch!

Old 09-29-2016, 09:46 AM
j.p.francis@wanadoo.fr
1st Gear
Interesting bit here at about 3min: mentions that the ECU will retard advance on a hot engine. He is using methanol injection ........but; Is a cooler engine re an open scoop going to work too?.....at least a bit?

Old 09-29-2016, 06:16 PM
Joespeed
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nice.. awesome car.. When I used to visit SuperCar Sunday in the Valley I'd see that car all the time.. seems like a cool dude!

Old 10-01-2016, 04:58 AM
j.p.francis@wanadoo.fr
1st Gear
Will the older SC 01-06 hood scoops fit on to the TC 2007 hood?