F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 MINI has downshift rev match manual transmission!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Kinetic89
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeepBlueMCS
There will not be a rev match on an up shift since the rpms will naturally drop between gears and there is no reason for the ecu to apply rpms. On the downshift, depending on the speed and gear that you downshift too, the ecu will apply rpm (rev match) to match the rpm for that gear and speed for a smooth shift.
It actually DOES rev-match on upshifts, I noticed it today. I have not tried this in the lower gears. But lets say up shifting from 3rd gear and up.

If you move from 3rd gear to 4th gear, and leave the clutch pushed in, as the revs naturally fall the car will keep the revs matched to 4th gear for a few seconds, keep it pushed down any longer and it will drop down to idle speed.

Its more smooth the smaller the RPM drop, so its easier to try in the higher up gears.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:34 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Sorry for the necro bump, but this feature sort of irritates me. I've always been accustomed to rev matching downshifts myself, and can definitely drive this car more smoothly (and more my speed) with DSC off where that feature isn't on. I could live with just doing that all the time if cruise control worked, but that's not the case. Is it possible to code the feature out or make it possible to use cruise with DSC (or at least traction control) off? I have a pretty good diff, so the traction control feature isn't super helpful anyways.

--Matt

The following users liked this post:
MINI_42 (07-31-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 05:13 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by mattkosem
Sorry for the necro bump, but this feature sort of irritates me. I've always been accustomed to rev matching downshifts myself, and can definitely drive this car more smoothly (and more my speed) with DSC off where that feature isn't on. I could live with just doing that all the time if cruise control worked, but that's not the case. Is it possible to code the feature out or make it possible to use cruise with DSC (or at least traction control) off? I have a pretty good diff, so the traction control feature isn't super helpful anyways.

--Matt
It took me some getting used to this feature on my manual JCW, but I don't think about it much now. You will be glad you have it if you miss a shift when downshifting! Something rather easy to do on the manual. I'd prefer a much tighter shift pattern personally!

Old 05-11-2017, 05:36 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
so it's disabled when your actually on the track? that seems odd but I'm ok with that I enjoy doing the heel toe thing

Old 05-11-2017, 08:24 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
I'd prefer a much tighter shift pattern personally!
Try the CravenSpeed adjustable short shifter and Pro Shifter retaining clip. That tightens up the pattern considerably and removes the slop. I also have the S4S Billy Club shift **** on mine. Perfect combination IMO.

https://www.cravenspeed.com/adjustab...fter-for-mini/
https://www.cravenspeed.com/mini-shi...ning-clip-pro/
http://www.sneed4speed.com/mini-cooper-shift-****/

Old 07-31-2017, 09:02 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Sorry to regurgitate this thread...I'm a little confused, can someone clarify a thing or two please?

1. It is possible to disable the rev matching? If so, awesome that's what I want.
2. However if you do disable it, is it disabled until you the driver re-enable it?
3. If/when you do disable it, do you also disable DSC and cruise control?

I hate the automatic rev matching. I took a 2017 MCS for a test drive and felt like a ponce. May as well get a self driving Tesla if I wanted all automation garbage to take the fun out of driving.

I asked the MA about whether it was something you could disable, poor dear had no clue. I was told she was the expert on new Minis. They must've been pulling my leg. She was hot though.
TIA

Old 08-01-2017, 04:23 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI_42
Sorry to regurgitate this thread...I'm a little confused, can someone clarify a thing or two please?

1. It is possible to disable the rev matching? If so, awesome that's what I want.
2. However if you do disable it, is it disabled until you the driver re-enable it?

I hate the automatic rev matching. I took a 2017 MCS for a test drive and felt like a ponce. May as well get a self driving Tesla if I wanted all automation garbage to take the fun out of driving.

I asked the MA about whether it was something you could disable, poor dear had no clue. I was told she was the expert on new Minis. They must've been pulling my leg. She was hot though.
TIA
You'll get used to it....I didn't like it either when I drove my JCW for the first time, but I don't even think about it anymore! Turn your radio up and just drive! lol! If you ever miss a shift you'll be glad you have it as it can save your engine!

The following users liked this post:
MINI_42 (08-03-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 05:13 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI_42
I'm a little curious too, tagging along

Old 08-01-2017, 06:17 AM
MiniTony2
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mega72
I'm a little curious too, tagging along
Also curious. I am not a fan of this feature at all.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:07 PM
jkwireless
Neutral
I have a 2017 JCW Manual and there is no way to disable the automatic rev matching. You only notice it if you jump down a couple of gears as it isn't really noticeable if you are going down a single gear in normal driving. However, if you are doing a rapid deceleration to round a corner, etc., you'll experience it every time. It may be a matter of personal preference, and perhaps somebody else can chime in if this can be coded out, but there is not a setting to turn it off. I quite enjoy it - it's rather intelligent. Likewise for the momentary brake hold when lifting your foot off the brakes on an incline.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:32 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jkwireless
I have a 2017 JCW Manual and there is no way to disable the automatic rev matching.
This leads me to believe it can be coded on and off.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Kazmini
1st Gear
I go from six to three sometimes through town with no issue. Usually in sport mode and notice that from six to two from 45, she really doesn't slow down much. If I'm in green mode, however, it's like an eighteen wheeler. I also notice that sometimes shifting up when really on the floor, she slides right into gear. Rarely do I think I did anything right. Always feels great!

Old 09-11-2017, 04:58 PM
Tandaina
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mattkosem

--Matt
So I have a 2015 that they called to say had a "programming campaign." Sure, whatever. Took it in. Now it does this and I absolutely HATE IT. If I wanted a bloody automatic transmission I would have bought one. I am perfectly capable of rev matching my self. How the hell do you turn this off? I was not warned they were messing with my transmission I just suddenly have a car that drives entirely differently. (and the service manager is suddenly "extremely busy" and won't call me back.) You don't mess with a woman's transmission and not tell her. You sure as heck don't change how it works without asking permission. I bought the 2015 NEW in 2016 (last of the model year) to avoid the increased size and some of hte "features" announced in the 2017 models and now I'm stuck with one? NOT OK.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:05 PM
Tandaina
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
You'll get used to it....I didn't like it either when I drove my JCW for the first time, but I don't even think about it anymore! Turn your radio up and just drive! lol! If you ever miss a shift you'll be glad you have it as it can save your engine!
I've driven a manual transmission for 20 years. I have never. ever. had to replace a transmission or damaged an engine. I do not need a dumbed down shifting system that interferes with the way I drive. I'm amazed a motor head forum isn't filled with real hatred for this feature! (But I'm old fashioned, I see no point to hill assist either. If you want an automatic buy one. Leave the manual transmissions to the folks who LIKE to drive.)

Old 09-12-2017, 08:51 AM
Tandaina
1st Gear
Good news all. The dealer CAN disable the rev matching. I don't know if there is a way for the user to do it. But my 2015 got an update pushed that enabled this "feature." 7am the next morning I was back at the dealer and they investigated and got it turned off permanently. So it can be done, if you don't want it, call your dealer.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
And how about those self canceling turn signals? They must think we're not smart enough to turn them off ourselves!

Old 09-12-2017, 06:00 PM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
It is actually rev matching to your SPEED in a lower gear. Personally I love it. It has saved my engine and tranny a few times. My wife's 2013 does not have it (along with gear number on status screen) and when driving hers, I have missed a few times. Could be age, but I have been driving manuals for over 50 years and have a few trophies in autocross. With the new autos (with paddle shift) it appears that the manual will be obsolete in a few years and I am OK with that.....kind of like land line telephones.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:45 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Turn DSC off - i.e., FULL OFF, with a long press of the traction toggle.

It'll turn rev-matching off.

Last edited by Zillon; 09-14-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:31 PM
Kazmini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Zillon
Turn DSC off - .e., FULL OFF.

It'll turn rev-matching off.
would you say that the way I feel all gear shifts in mid mode are smooth as compared to when I feel I shift the with the same methods in sport mode? I'm going to check tmrw.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:08 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Kazmini
would you say that the way I feel all gear shifts in mid mode are smooth as compared to when I feel I shift the with the same methods in sport mode? I'm going to check tmrw.
Que?

Old 09-17-2017, 06:36 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Well, I've had my car for over a year and this is still one of my least favorite features. It cheapens the manual experience for me. I don't want or need to have the car rev match. I'm happy to do that myself. I really really don't like its little fits when taking off from a stop where it matches the 1-2mph roll, and harshens the takeoff. I don't like having to drive around without stability control or cruise control to get rid of it.

If someone knows how to code it out with ESys, I'd love to see how.

--Matt