F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

F56 Cooper S rear suspension issues

Old 12-13-2017, 05:21 AM
Donnaj1dlh
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry F56 Cooper S rear suspension issues

Hi guys,

I posted on here a couple of years ago about the problems I had been having with my rear shocks (under the 'rattles' thread). I'm having more issues and wanted to ask if any others are suffering the same issues.

My car is a jun14 registered Cooper S. I live in the NE Scotland.

I had my original shocks replaced Feb15 - after reporting the issue over the festive holidays. Diagnosis too ages as the dealer couldn't pinpoint the problem traditionally (i.e. by listening to it!). On BMWs instruction, the dealer purchased Chassis Ears, after which the problem was easily diagnosed. Both rear shocks were replaced under warranty without any problem.

Jan 2016 - 2nd set have begun to knock again but this time it's easily diagnosed and replaced - the technician this time agreed the problem by merely hearing the knock.

Now December 2017 - my third set have begun to knock after almost 2 years. I haven't yet been to the dealer to report it.

I fought with MINI UK in order to get a 4th year extended warranty FOC due to the numerous issues my car had suffered - the crankshaft issues, door seals etc. Which they eventually did after I refused point blank to own their car outwith warranty - I have a 4 year PCP deal.

I did a bit of online research today.

My initial theory (and I'm no motor mechanic, so I could be waaaaay off) but I think during the cold weather, the seals get brittle so they crack rather than flex, causing leaking? Could this be?

I googled the weather patterns for Aberdeen over the time I've owned the car (at this stage I can't confirm whether road conditions have aggrevated the problem).... right now we are suffering heavily snow compacted, rutted roads which I think is not helping.

But.....

December 2014 we encountered to prolonged periods of subzero temperatures lasting for several days (coincides with faulty shocks)

December 15/Jan16 two periods again of prolonged subzero temperature, only lasting 3 days, the other 7 days (faulty shocks again - replaced)

December 16 - only two single subzero days - three weeks apart (no issue this winter)

Dec17 - right now we are entering week two of subzero temperatures, with the snow/ice compacted, rutted tarmac. Shocks are appearing to be faulty.

My question to you guys is...... you lot can suffer excessive cold weather, have you noticed this issue/pattern developing?

I hope to get my suspension seen to again without issue, but my car is due to be replaced next summer and whilst I'd love to get the JCW, I'm hesitant to go through these problems again. Would the upgraded/sports/variable suspension suffer the same issues in the cold?

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading and I hope some of you will be able to advise......

Old 12-13-2017, 06:00 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Put an aftermarket suspension kit on. Ive had B14 coilovers and havent had an issue one. I live in Minnesota so we, unfortunately, get winter.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:36 AM
Donnaj1dlh
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Put an aftermarket suspension kit on. Ive had B14 coilovers and havent had an issue one. I live in Minnesota so we, unfortunately, get winter.
If I had been considering holding on to the car after PCP buyout then I would consider Bilsteins. But at this late stage it's not worth the expense. On the other hand, if I were to get another MINI then it might be something to consider from the outset.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:12 AM
Donnaj1dlh
1st Gear
Booked into the dealer on the 27th - also getting the gloss black bumper insert swapped out under warranty 'cos it's turning milky. Fingers crossed for the shocks.......