North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-f57-stock-problems-issues-430/)
-   -   Sitting on the lot for a prolonged period -- first oil change when? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-f57-stock-problems-issues/337971-sitting-on-the-lot-for-a-prolonged-period-first-oil-change-when.html)

reidmefirst 04-14-2019 05:00 PM

Sitting on the lot for a prolonged period -- first oil change when?

I bought my car with the B46 motor after it was sitting on a dealer lot for about 10 months (it was built 11 months ago, in May 2018). I'm sure there will be very differing opinions on this question but I'll ask anyway: is it better to change the oil after ~1 year of life, or better to wait until I've racked up more miles on the car? I've only owned the car for a few weeks and have just 500 miles on the odometer, 100 or so of which were from dealer test drives. I always hear rumors that vehicle manufacturers use a break-in oil with some wacky additives for the first fill, and that it is better to let those oils do their thing for a bit...

I also wonder if anyone has an inkling as to what kind of oil MINI uses for the factory fill? Worst case, I might pull a sample for analysis by Blackstone to see how the oil composition is doing after a year, would be helpful to know what kind of oil it is, of course. I guess to do that, I'll have to figure out how to pull a sample from the motor, grrrr this lack of oil dipstick!

N0B0DY 04-14-2019 05:03 PM

If it was bought as a new car, the current oil change interval is 10,000 miles or 12 months, and it should be included with your purchase for 3 years 36K miles.

Fly'n Brick 04-14-2019 09:06 PM

With the strongest forum wide recommendation, change oil every 5K regardless. Also, that's a good time to rotated the tires.

TVPostSound 04-21-2019 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by reidmefirst (Post 4463491)
I bought my car with the B46 motor after it was sitting on a dealer lot for about 10 months (it was built 11 months ago, in May 2018). I'm sure there will be very differing opinions on this question but I'll ask anyway: is it better to change the oil after ~1 year of life, or better to wait until I've racked up more miles on the car? I've only owned the car for a few weeks and have just 500 miles on the odometer, 100 or so of which were from dealer test drives. I always hear rumors that vehicle manufacturers use a break-in oil with some wacky additives for the first fill, and that it is better to let those oils do their thing for a bit...

I also wonder if anyone has an inkling as to what kind of oil MINI uses for the factory fill? Worst case, I might pull a sample for analysis by Blackstone to see how the oil composition is doing after a year, would be helpful to know what kind of oil it is, of course. I guess to do that, I'll have to figure out how to pull a sample from the motor, grrrr this lack of oil dipstick!

Mine was the same, my first oil change was at 1000 miles!! 3 months after buying it.
I was surprised.
You will get an oil change reminder may 2019, Dealer will gladly service it under the plan.

Capt_bj 04-22-2019 04:11 PM

I bought an R59 that sat on the lot for over a year

dealer had changed the oil at the 12 month mark as required under the standard maintenance plan. I changed it 3000 miles after delivery and went to the factory schedule after that

even Jiffy Lube has given up on trying to convince folks the factory recommendations are bad . . . .

TVPostSound 04-22-2019 05:21 PM

Dealers are pretty generous, even if you come in 2K miles early, they will service it under the plan.