F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

To extend the warranty or not to extend....?

Old 01-12-2019, 09:31 AM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To extend the warranty or not to extend....?

I have a 2015 F56s. I bought it in November of 2015 and have now racked up 45k miles on the odometer. I’ve kept up on all the maintenance and do oil changes every 5k miles.

At about 16k miles I noticed a noise in the front end. I had the control arms replaced. Later on I had a loose pinch bolt that needed replacement. There is still a “ghost” clunking noise that I hear at low speeds from the right front of the car. Usually occurs when backing into a parallel parking spot. The dealer has changed my motor mounts thinking that that’s was the problem...but that wasn’t it. Last service, I had them do a full inspection of the suspension. They couldn’t find anything wrong. They said it’s probably just the body flexing or the suspension settling. 🤷🏻*♀️

At 35k miles the dealer found a small oil leak in my automatic transmission. They replaced the transmission under warranty.

I’ve also had various trim replaced for fading, cracking, and bubbling. Also a new steering wheel because of the horn delay issue.

So because I’m creeping up to the end of my warranty, my question for you guys is...would you buy the extended warranty? It seems I have had most problematic issues with the F56 already handled. However that front end noise bothers me. Part of me thinks I should just pocket the $3k is cost to buy the warranty and keep it as a mini repair stash. Or I buy the 3k warranty and may never use it

Thoughts?

Old 01-12-2019, 10:20 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
No way do I buy warranties. Bank the money for future needs or use the money and trade up to a newer car with less miles and warranty left. You are probably dreaming of a lightly used JCW?

Old 01-12-2019, 11:48 AM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
No way do I buy warranties. Bank the money for future needs or use the money and trade up to a newer car with less miles and warranty left. You are probably dreaming of a lightly used JCW?
Hahaha! Yes, I am dreaming of a JCW but that’s not in the cards yet. I have an emotional attachment with this car. My dad was sick with cancer and passed 6 months after I purchased the mini. He helped me with the whole process of picking out the color and was even there with me when I bought the car. It’s not going anywhere for a long time. I am thinking about the JCW tune, however, I think I’m better off keeping this one mostly stock and then getting a JCW to tune and have fun with in the future as a second mini.