F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

Lost Key Fob (comfort access)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:57 AM
Half_p1nt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost Key Fob (comfort access)

quest for knowledge:

I recently lost my one of my MINI key fobs. (still have the other to use and drive car with)
I have comfort access.

If I go to get in my car, without having near me the key, the start button light flashes red, then an alert saying that key battery is discharged, to replace battery, and to bring the key near the steering column.
It does this when my non-lost key is 500ft away inside the house.
This leads me to believe the key is inside the car somewhere, but ive gone through the entire car 5 times and still havnet found it.
Is this warning an indicator that it sees the key but its discharged? or is this warning persistent (i.e. the key could possibly not be in the car)

Old 12-07-2018, 10:34 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I honestly have no idea on this since I do not have C/A but I’m cringing for you if you decide you need to replace it! I had to buy a new fob not long ago, and the price is ridiculous and even more so for a C/A fob! I hope you can find it
on that side of it, it sounds like you have searched pretty thoroughly already inside, but I know my Mini love to take thing from my jacket pocket and hide them beside and under the seat! There are a couple of recesses and such under the seats and also a few seams in the carpet under there, could it have slipped into one of the seams?
Good luck

Old 12-10-2018, 02:35 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Originally Posted by Half_p1nt
quest for knowledge:

I recently lost my one of my MINI key fobs. (still have the other to use and drive car with)
I have comfort access.

If I go to get in my car, without having near me the key, the start button light flashes red, then an alert saying that key battery is discharged, to replace battery, and to bring the key near the steering column.
It does this when my non-lost key is 500ft away inside the house.
This leads me to believe the key is inside the car somewhere, but ive gone through the entire car 5 times and still havnet found it.
Is this warning an indicator that it sees the key but its discharged? or is this warning persistent (i.e. the key could possibly not be in the car)
seems like you need someone with comfort access to tell you what happens when they get in the car and try to start with no key near the car ...... someone who has a fully functioning system. If 'no key nearby' says something different than what you report here, you have your answer . .

(My FOCUS ST with CA equiv' tells me it can't find a key AND a different msg when the key needs a new battery)

trying to help ......

Sorry, I don't have CA ......

Old 02-02-2019, 03:31 AM
sgscomps
4th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Goto your car and unlock it with your only key. Leave this key outside the car 10-15 ft away. Get in and try to start the car, if it starts the key is in the car, if it doesn't start the key is someplace else. The proximity sensor will only start the car if the key is within the car.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:33 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by sgscomps
The proximity sensor will only start the car if the key is within the car.
...or on a shelf right next to where you park the car in the garage or does this happen even when out and about town?