F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

Engine stopping the last 2 days after coming to a stop (not stand-by)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 06:24 AM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine stopping the last 2 days after coming to a stop (not stand-by)

I've had my Carbon stall (engine stop?) on me twice the last 2 days. Manual, but not user error and the stand-by feature is turned off. First time it stalled after I came to a stop and started to pull away, clutch pedal was just starting to come back from full depress. The second time was this morning. It stalled right when I came to a stop and the clutch pedal pushed all of the way down.

It actually seems more like the engine went in to stand by and stopped as opposed to a stall. Like the car thinks stand-by is enabled, but not quite as designed. No CEL lights or anything.

Tried a search and didn't find anything useful.

Thanks,

Tim

Old 12-08-2017, 05:20 AM
CooperT
3rd Gear
So I'm guessing this hasn't happened to anyone else? So far, only these 2 times it's happened. Will keep my fingers crossed it's gone away.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:02 PM
shmandrew
2nd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Have you had a software update recently? I've noticed that I've been stalling on occasion since a recent software update and it's been similar to what you described where it seems like the car is almost in the start/stop standby mode rather than the engine being fully off. It's weird because I never used to have problems with stalling and I don't think I suddenly forgot how to drive a manual...

Old 12-09-2017, 01:10 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
It's been happening to me occasionally for a couple months. Seemingly for no apparent reason. I have the auto start/stop disabled. Sometimes it'll start back up when I depress the clutch and other times I have to use the start toggle. Never had the trouble before either. I know that if I take it to the dealer they'll not be able to duplicate the problem and I'll have wasted a 150 mile round trip.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:10 PM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Just had it in right after I got it for an update. It's been about a month. And I was thinking the same. I know how to drive stick. My R60 All4 was easier to stall though due to AWD and the crappy clutch.

Originally Posted by shmandrew
Have you had a software update recently? I've noticed that I've been stalling on occasion since a recent software update and it's been similar to what you described where it seems like the car is almost in the start/stop standby mode rather than the engine being fully off. It's weird because I never used to have problems with stalling and I don't think I suddenly forgot how to drive a manual...

Old 12-09-2017, 02:12 PM
CooperT
3rd Gear
They need more dealers! Especially due problems like this. But yeah, without codes or immediate reproducibility, there's nothing they'd do.

Originally Posted by vetsvette
It's been happening to me occasionally for a couple months. Seemingly for no apparent reason. I have the auto start/stop disabled. Sometimes it'll start back up when I depress the clutch and other times I have to use the start toggle. Never had the trouble before either. I know that if I take it to the dealer they'll not be able to duplicate the problem and I'll have wasted a 150 mile round trip.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:36 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
How about driving around some with the auto stop enabled? Then switching it back?

Also, maybe, just because there's no cel displayed doesn't mean there might not be a code.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:27 PM
CooperT
3rd Gear
It might be induced only in sport mode. Hasn't done it the last few days and I've only used sport mode sparingly. I'll try enabling stand-by and see.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:11 PM
shmandrew
2nd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
The dealer not being able to reproduce problems is the bane of my existence. Luckily my dealer is a 10 minute drive from my house and even closer to my office. I've been in countless times now to attempt to fix an engine whine/squeal that only seems to pop up after spending an hour or more on the freeway. Threads on that issue have not been any help...

Old 12-16-2017, 09:52 PM
CooperT
3rd Gear
So far this problem hasn't popped up again.

Hopefully you're squeal gets figured out.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:17 AM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Happened again yesterday evening. In sport mode, raining. Came to a full stop, went to get going again and poof, engine shuts off. Have an appointment Monday to get some step-daughter induced front end damage (backed in to it) done at the dealer. I'll see if they can figure this out while it's there.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:59 AM
graff48
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Any updates?

My Carbon is suffering from this exact same issue! My car has stalled 7-8 times in 72 hours since having multiple software updates applied at the dealer. It happens in both normal and sport modes, with or without start/stop enabled.

And don't get me started on how much DDC Sport has been watered down...

Old 02-17-2018, 06:48 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by graff48
And don't get me started on how much DDC Sport has been watered down...

Software update watered down the DDC??

Whats the new update??

Old 02-17-2018, 08:26 PM
graff48
1st Gear
The dealer applied 3 updates, so I assume my car had the original 2016 program from the factory.

Prior to the update, the steering would significantly tighten when switching from Normal to Sport. Post update, it tightens only a modest amount.

The suspension seems to be less harsh in sport as well.

I'm guessing BMW decided to retune DDC to appeal more to the masses.

I'm really bummed. The steering was my favorite part of the car.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:41 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Time for spring or coils now

Old 02-19-2018, 01:40 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by graff48
The dealer applied 3 updates, so I assume my car had the original 2016 program from the factory.

Prior to the update, the steering would significantly tighten when switching from Normal to Sport. Post update, it tightens only a modest amount.

The suspension seems to be less harsh in sport as well.

I'm guessing BMW decided to retune DDC to appeal more to the masses.

I'm really bummed. The steering was my favorite part of the car.
I had the latest update a couple of months ago, but DCC and Sport is still stiff.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:10 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by CooperT
Happened again yesterday evening. In sport mode, raining. Came to a full stop, went to get going again and poof, engine shuts off. Have an appointment Monday
Let us know what you hear. I still have the problem occasionally and have not had any software updates during the same time frame. I'd like to hear more from other people who are experiencing this and their solutions. I'm not worried about the suspension. That won't leave you with a dead engine in the middle of a busy intersection.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:25 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Is this with AT or MT??

Old 02-19-2018, 03:29 PM
vetsvette
Manual.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:52 PM
graff48
1st Gear
Manual also.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:31 PM
vetsvette
Happened to me again today. Making a left turn with plenty of time to beat oncoming traffic. Ended up stalled blocking both lanes. After a lot of blaring horns and hand/finger gestures from said oncoming traffic I got it re-fired and laid rubber all the way across the street. I'm hoping my Byteronik tune will remedy the situation because I hate driving the 160 mile round trip to my dealer.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:46 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Man, thats scary to hear!

Could your clutch stop be out to far? Just thinking out loud. I stall mine from time to time, its my own fault though, and I bet 99% of it is because I have the stop at the highest setting

Old 02-20-2018, 06:17 PM
vetsvette
Not that. It died after I started rolling. I had gone maybe 20 yards before it just died.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:21 PM
graff48
1st Gear
Car back from the dealer to triage stalling issue. Could not reproduce.

My theory (in my case) is that the software update softened the throttle response to the point that it's tricky to get rolling from a stop.

I feel like my car went from the "easiest stick shift car to drive" to the ""hardest stick shift car to drive". First car ever I've stalled backing out of a parking space (three times now).

The only upside to the software upgrade is that I feel like the car pulls smoother and harder in the mid to upper RPMs.

I guess the "free" software upgrades will only cost me a grand or two in the aftermarket to get the car back into a state where I enjoy driving it again....

Old 02-27-2018, 06:33 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Im really curious to see if the Byte Tronik flash solved this.

Also, I wonder if its just a JCW issue because I start a lot in 2nd gear and (knock on wood) dont seem to have this issue