F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

P144b

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 06:46 AM
Dbartondpt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P144b

i was driving to work earlier this week and my car had a drivetrain malfunction and shut off in the middle of the road. It restarted after about 5 tries and the malfunction code on the screen went away after a few minutes. Then about 10 miles later the CEL came on and it says P144B. I can’t find anything specific about this code for minis anywhere. I have noticed a few other things as well recently such as the heat taking a while to heat up intermittently or it blowing out cold air until i start moving then it heats up. Slight hesitation at idle. Maybe i have more than one thing going on here. Not sure. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:23 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Canister purge valve?

Last edited by TVPostSound; 11-25-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:25 PM
Dbartondpt
1st Gear
No clue. There has been little to no info about this code anywhere. But maybe it is? Thanks for the reply

Old 11-26-2017, 05:45 AM
andy303
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MINI Mania has a tech article listing trouble codes for Gen 2 here: https://new.minimania.com/Mini_Coope...wertrain_Codes

May be generally the same for Gen 3. P144B has something to do with the fuel level sensor

Old 11-27-2017, 06:17 PM
Dbartondpt
1st Gear
I rechecked the code with a different reader and this is what came up.
P144B Manufacturer controlled auxiliary emissions controls.
Not sure if this helps anyone else out with pointing me in the correct direction but here you go. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:28 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Looks like there will be some debate about this code and how it relates to your MINI. A quick search brings out a couple different scenarios. As noted above on MINI Mania, you have:

- P144B - Fuel level / Fuel consumption correlation

- P144B - Tank fuel-level sensor: Fuel consumption rate does not correlate with change fuel level

From the Bimmerfest forums, you get this:

- P144B - Thermostat heater control circuit open; 0pen rr short circuit condition; Probable cause: Poor electrical connection, Failed engine cooling thermostat

Based on your explanation both of these definitions have a place. The MINI definition would likely explain the car shutting down, as the cause could be a severe gas leak. The BMW definition would likely explain your HVAC system actions.

You may want to consider a visit to your local MINI dealer or a trusted independent shop to have that looked at and make a definitive call. Having your ride shut down while driving can be a really bad situation depending on where you are at the time. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.