F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

once again a Mini S owner (2014)

Old 08-31-2017, 11:57 AM
dougvarney1
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
once again a Mini S owner (2014)

I have just purchased a 2014 S with 18,250 on odometer. Looks like new, no rattles and squeaks or so. Pristine (so far). My previous Mini S was a 2003 and I had LOADS of problems and was assured that the Gen 3s were much better. So - I just want to know if 5,000 mile oil changes are still the norm! I have never liked waiting 7,500 or 10,000 to change oil.

Secondly, I have searched online for problem areas and one report in caranddriver.com on the 2014 model (after long term test) said they had numerous problems with lower control arms and squeaks and rattles. We always hear more about problems and far less about good things.

If any person on the forum can give me any preventative advice on things they have experienced that I can get handled before 50,000 miles, PLEASE ADVISE.

If lower control problems are a known problem area, I'll buy the redesigned units and have installed, and etc. Just some friendly advice for me on how to prevent problems by upgrading some known bad parts would be sincerely appreciated.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:00 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Lower Control arm issues were fixed by warranty on my car and many others. You can easily tell by hitting some speed bumps at speed and you will hear/feel clunking.

I've only got 10K+ miles on mine, bought used as well. I think the oil has been changed 2-3 times already, twice by MINI dealer and once by Audi dealer I bought it from. 5-6K oil change seems like a good idea.

No rattles or squeaks is amazing because mine had loads of them, most seem to have been fixed with various bits of felt tape they use at the dealership.

Only upgrades I've done to date are Dinan Sport piggyback module for increased performance and new speakers and amp. I hate the HK sound that MINI/BMW puts in the cars. I actually enjoy the music now.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:57 PM
dougvarney1
1st Gear
Thank you! The Dinan treatment, is that done by Mini dealers?

Old 08-31-2017, 02:31 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
You can buy the $300 sport version and easy one plug install. They have a new $900 version that carries a full warranty on you engine if something goes wrong, but you like me probably don't have much warranty left so it isn't as big of a deal. You can self install that as well although it is slightly more complex. Some BMW & MINI dealers are DINAN dealers as well so you can check with DINAN website to see if your dealer is as well.

Also Berger Tuning has a competing product and NM Engineering also has one. Might want to search on NAM for info about all of them.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:07 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by dougvarney1
I have just purchased a 2014 S with 18,250 on odometer. Looks like new, no rattles and squeaks or so. Pristine (so far). My previous Mini S was a 2003 and I had LOADS of problems and was assured that the Gen 3s were much better. So - I just want to know if 5,000 mile oil changes are still the norm! I have never liked waiting 7,500 or 10,000 to change oil.

Secondly, I have searched online for problem areas and one report in caranddriver.com on the 2014 model (after long term test) said they had numerous problems with lower control arms and squeaks and rattles. We always hear more about problems and far less about good things.

If any person on the forum can give me any preventative advice on things they have experienced that I can get handled before 50,000 miles, PLEASE ADVISE.

If lower control problems are a known problem area, I'll buy the redesigned units and have installed, and etc. Just some friendly advice for me on how to prevent problems by upgrading some known bad parts would be sincerely appreciated.
I bought my 2017 ALL4 Clubman S new...I changed the oil at 2,000 miles and again at 5,000. My plan is to change it every 5,000, but just couldn't stomach waiting til the 10,000 mile interval that Mini suggests. I will have them change it at 10,000.

I've also done the Dinantronix Tune box which is well worth the $300! ECS sells it and it is a relatively easy DIY mod. If you do any work on your car, it's not a hard install at all. Highly recommend it...

Old 11-01-2017, 02:38 PM
dougvarney1
1st Gear
Installed the $899 Dinan elite a month or so ago; Seems to be much "Smoother" than before in acceleration, but no real big seat of the pants feel to the advertised 58HP gain. Not sure of the gain, but very smooth from 60 to 100 in 6th gear when having to get by slower folks. MPG around 32 or so after Dinan install. Maybe a bit higher than that before installation.

Big difference between my 2003 S and the 2014 S. The first one was really a kick in the pants to drive and felt very "Mechanical" as opposed to the advanced improvements of the new model. The 1st Gen felt like a go cart and loved the sound of the supercharger. The 3rd Gen just so much more refined, quieter, smoother and etc. Both fun, just different experiences.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:26 PM
Ben
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
This is an interesting threat as I also had a 2003 MCS that had all the usual mods. I really enjoyed the connected sport feel and all the great noises the supercharger made - especially with the CAI. 5 days ago I found an unloved 2016 languishing on the dealers lot, still new and unsold. It had the sport package, 3 pedals and not much else, but that's fine with me.

I agree it's much more refined, and feels bigger - although so am I (bigger, not really refined). It's still a blast to drive in sport mode and makes different great noises. I'll start with software and exhaust, but right now we're still in the honeymoon stages and I'm happy to get back to the MINI fold.

Everyone on this site is great and the insights are invaluable. Good to be back.

Search this Thread