F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

Vibration during idle

Old 03-19-2017, 11:55 AM
the_edge8
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration during idle

I just took delivery of a 2017 MINI Cooper S 4 door, and I notice a vibration when I release my foot from the brake pedal. It happens when I let the car's idle move the car forward. The engine is smooth running under normal acceleration.

Is this normal? My last MINI was a justa, and didn't do that, but maybe it's an S thing? Any thoughts? I've got just under 600 miles on the new one.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:10 PM
spyked
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
That's interesting. I got rid of my 3 cylinder MINI because of the "rough" idle/low speed characteristics. My new S is much smoother though far from 100% smooth and silent. I think it's just the way the cars are tuned/configured on the sporty side of things.

If you want to feel better about it, go test drive a 3 cylinder automatic. Your S will feel like a 5 series BMW by comparison, lol.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:22 PM
the_edge8
2nd Gear
I did notice that on the 3 cyl. when I test drove one to see: do I really 'need' a 4 (answer turned out to be yes). And I remember thinking the exact same thing about the 4 cyl, like you said, about how much smoother it was. I just can't remember if I experienced this vibration, due to being excited on my test drive. it may be just a MINI thing like you suggest.

I would say when I put my foot on the brake, the RPMs would be around 600-700 and seemingly smooth. Then, let's say the light turns green, release my brake pedal, engine vibrates and RPM goes to around 900, press on gas and the engine returns to smooth as could be.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:53 PM
spyked
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
This might be an obvious question.....do you have the STOP/START enabled? That would definitely explain the vibration. The car is literally starting up every time you take your foot off the brake from a stop.

Make sure the toggle switch is set to off (orange light will be ON). Then it will never turn off, so it won't take back on, and then you won't feel the engine powering up and perhaps vibrating.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:04 PM
the_edge8
2nd Gear
Hmm interesting thought. My auto on/off has been enabled, however up in NY it has been too cold for the car to turn off. So I guess I could try disabling that, but I doubt that would have anything to do with it. I'll try turning it off and seeing if that makes a difference anyway.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:16 PM
Zazoh
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll know if the engine is shut-off as the center display drops two green lEDs down the side then glows them on the ring in the center display.

If my wife is with me, she complains of the start ... but you said you are lifting off the brake and "creeping" forward, I'm not experiencing that, but I wonder if it is just from the cold ?

Old 04-02-2018, 04:26 PM
Joe Burkle
Neutral
Same exact issue

I have been searching for others posting on this issue. I have exactly the same problem. Engine vibration when I start to release the brake slowly, as in to roll forward. The faster I release the pedal, the shorter the duration of vibration. Did you fine a solution/did the dealer find a fix? I have 800 miles, been doing it since day 1. I don't think I noticed at test drive. I have a 2017 Clubby, # cyl auto.

The following users liked this post:
crownm (11-18-2021)
Old 04-02-2018, 04:37 PM
the_edge8
2nd Gear
I never got a solution to this. I should have pressed them harder. I’ve got nearly 15k on it now, it’s the same every time. I guess I just accepted it as the nature of it, but you’ve now reminded me of it...perhaps I should mention it again.

the other weird thing is this electronic noise that happens periodically. However I couldn’t reproduce it for the dealership of course.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:56 PM
Joe Burkle
Neutral
Thanks for the reply. I am going to head to the dealer. I also will test drive another Clubby to see if it does it. In any event, I'll post an update after my visit. I have asked numerous other owners of 2017's, they all say they do not have the issue...

Old 04-02-2018, 05:03 PM
the_edge8
2nd Gear
Ugh that’s kind of alarming. I should probably bring mine back and press them on this. I wish I could remember if my demo had it, I think I was too excited to notice though. Do you think it has anything to do with being a 4cy turbo?

Old 04-10-2018, 03:35 PM
Joe Burkle
Neutral
I see no connection to the 4 cyl. I have a 3 cyl!

Old 06-14-2018, 04:57 AM
PrivateHudson
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spyked
That's interesting. I got rid of my 3 cylinder MINI because of the "rough" idle/low speed characteristics. My new S is much smoother though far from 100% smooth and silent. I think it's just the way the cars are tuned/configured on the sporty side of things.

If you want to feel better about it, go test drive a 3 cylinder automatic. Your S will feel like a 5 series BMW by comparison, lol.
Yeah and the 3 cyl stall out easy too. I had a G35 coupe for 10 years and I don't ever remember stalling it. I've had my 3cyl mini for 2 months and I've stalled it probably 4 or 5 times. The gearing is way too tall for the weak little engine.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:57 AM
Win_N
Neutral
Originally Posted by the_edge8
I just took delivery of a 2017 MINI Cooper S 4 door, and I notice a vibration when I release my foot from the brake pedal. It happens when I let the car's idle move the car forward. The engine is smooth running under normal acceleration.

Is this normal? My last MINI was a justa, and didn't do that, but maybe it's an S thing? Any thoughts? I've got just under 600 miles on the new one.
I think this is the same on my 2019 jcw. Vibrates noticeably when moving slowly using the brake especially in traffic or on uneven surface like speed bumps in parking lot. I would say it feels like when I have my foot on brake pedal and release it (like when moving inch by inch in traffic or when going down a building entrance slope) and press it again thats where i get the vibration everytime. Its very unsettling as when it happens it can be felt through the seat, the chasis, and the steering wheel as well as the footwell, its the whole car. In addition the car also vibrates on idle, not continuously but in patterns and sometimes this happens, sometimes it doesnt. It feels like the car has trouble breathing and need to breathe harder. Dont really know how to put it in words

The following users liked this post:
David Reboin (03-20-2021)
Old 08-06-2019, 08:33 PM
ESulli
Neutral
Question

I have a 3 cylinder F56 that has rough idle at stop signs and lights. When it was new it used to smooth out every time (you can feel it as if it "disengaged" and idled smooth), but it seems to be about 90% of the time this no longer happens. Does anyone have any idea why? Seems I constantly need to shift into neutral so it doesn't bog down and idle rough.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:56 AM
GravityThought
Neutral
Originally Posted by Win_N
I think this is the same on my 2019 jcw. Vibrates noticeably when moving slowly using the brake especially in traffic or on uneven surface like speed bumps in parking lot. I would say it feels like when I have my foot on brake pedal and release it (like when moving inch by inch in traffic or when going down a building entrance slope) and press it again thats where i get the vibration everytime. Its very unsettling as when it happens it can be felt through the seat, the chasis, and the steering wheel as well as the footwell, its the whole car. In addition the car also vibrates on idle, not continuously but in patterns and sometimes this happens, sometimes it doesnt. It feels like the car has trouble breathing and need to breathe harder. Dont really know how to put it in words
Mine is doing the same thing. I'm suspecting variable valve solenoid, head gasket, or something that would cause a rough feedback for fuel. DId you ever find a solution for this?

Old 01-31-2024, 09:44 AM
GravityThought
Neutral
I'm experiencing this, did you ever resolve this? I have 2019 1.5L cooper hardtop. It's this exact thing happening.

Old 01-31-2024, 10:41 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Is it idle or bad motor mounts? https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2014-.../Engine/Mount/

This is very common on the F56 S for the mount to fail :: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...placement.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Search this Thread