North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-f57-stock-problems-issues-430/)
-   -   Strange popping sound (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-f57-stock-problems-issues/279733-strange-popping-sound.html)

hammerhands 11-10-2014 02:54 PM

Strange popping sound

Last night, about 7 blocks from leaving home, slowing down from 50 km/h [30 mp/h] I heard a pop, then pop pop pop. I was listening to a podcast and at first I thought Tom Magliozzi was tapping his finger on his desk to emphasize a point. In fact, I kept driving and rewound that part of the show, no pops.

I made a U-turn and went back over the same road, but I still heard no pops and haven't heard them since. Nothing shows on my OBDII.

Maybe it was a BB gun or something. I will have to go look for damage...

No visible damage. It was sharp, like popcorn kernels.

nkfry 11-10-2014 03:03 PM

Exhaust burbles??

hammerhands 11-10-2014 03:06 PM

Maybe, I wasn't driving enthusiastically!

siriuszero 11-10-2014 04:01 PM

Sport mode?

hammerhands 11-10-2014 04:55 PM

Mid mode, 3-cylinder.

siriuszero 11-10-2014 05:25 PM

Hmm...*strokes beard contemplatively*

Landspeeder 11-11-2014 09:46 AM

Small stones wedged in your tire tread... could make a ticking sound as you begin to move and then a popping (whacking) sound as they are flung out of the tread against fender liners or other parts of the body work.

ECSTuning 11-18-2014 10:06 AM

Have not heard this on the 4 cylinder ( have to be in sport mode, maybe it does it on the 3 out of sports mode? I think it was the burble - pop.

angrymini 11-21-2014 10:11 AM

i hear the same kind of noise sometimes when i am talking to someone using the bluetooth with my phone

Spoooolin 12-11-2014 07:26 PM

Backfires from the exhaust. Nothing to worry about.

When you let off the gas, and are slowing down, the computer goes into a "Decel fuel cut mode" and when that happens, the start of it somethings, you will get a few backfires.

angrymini 12-12-2014 08:32 AM

don't think its backfire noise since i only hear the sound while talking on my phone while using bluetooth.

hammerhands 12-12-2014 10:59 AM

I haven't heard it since. I think it was my keys hanging from the wiper switch bumping the platic cover over the steering column, but that hasn't happened again either.

It could be burbles, maybe you drive more aggressively when you're talking on the phone, angrymini? Who are you talking to?

TheBigNewt 12-12-2014 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by hammerhands (Post 4022626)
It could be burbles, maybe you drive more agressively when you're talking on the phone, angrymini? Who are you talking to?

He's talking to a guy in a Mini with a badass modded exhaust system. :grin:

Spoooolin 12-12-2014 08:17 PM

I must have misunderstood the post, didnt realize it was only when using bluetooth!

aafflyer 01-01-2015 02:27 PM

Using bluetooth today streaming music, terrible ear drum breaking sounds that sounded like my sun roof shattered went on for about ten to fifteen seconds -- intermittent extremely loud crackling sounds like something terrible was happening.

Pulled over as soon as I could do so safely. Switched to radio, and turned off phone thinking maybe it did something wrong. Drove five minutes to destination. Was out of the car for ten of fifteen minutes. Upon restarting, absolutely no sound from speakers. Radio showed station, bluetooth showed streaming. Turning knob made volume indicator show more/less bars. But no sound.

Guess it's time for my first service visit.

Headed back out to the car to look for amplifier fuse perhaps...

aafflyer 01-08-2015 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by aafflyer (Post 4028603)
Using bluetooth today streaming music, terrible ear drum breaking sounds that sounded like my sun roof shattered went on for about ten to fifteen seconds -- intermittent extremely loud crackling sounds like something terrible was happening.

Pulled over as soon as I could do so safely. Switched to radio, and turned off phone thinking maybe it did something wrong. Drove five minutes to destination. Was out of the car for ten of fifteen minutes. Upon restarting, absolutely no sound from speakers. Radio showed station, bluetooth showed streaming. Turning knob made volume indicator show more/less bars. But no sound.

Guess it's time for my first service visit.

Headed back out to the car to look for amplifier fuse perhaps...

Follow-up.

Car radio, all sounds, bluetooth all worked fine the next day.

Car went to the shop today. There was an amplifier fault stored. But they said "reprogramming should fix".

So, it's getting the four hour reprogramming done tonight / tomorrow.

We'll see if that fixes it -- though it's really going to take a year of no issue to know with these types of issues...

angrymini 01-19-2015 01:25 PM

Took sheldon to the dealer today and found out that the bluetooth speaker was bad and has to be replaced.

angrymini 08-18-2015 09:41 AM

still have this issue with my mini. the dealership has had my car for a month and a half with no idea what the problem is.

ECSTuning 08-19-2015 02:01 PM

Bluetooth antenna under the dash or feedback from the phone ?

angrymini 08-19-2015 06:28 PM

Dealer said that it was the am fm antenna, after 45 days I'm ready to have my car back