F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Rooftop Box for storage

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 05:52 PM
sbreech
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Rooftop Box for storage

OK, as I await arrival of my new Clubman from across the pond, I am considering a rooftop box for vacations. I have considered just purchasing the Mini branded rooftop box, but I'm wondering if there are nicer units that look a little better on the Clubman. If you use a rooftop box, please post pics and descriptions for me to get some ideas.

Thanks a million!

Old 06-06-2019, 06:59 PM
sbreech
2nd Gear
I think I found the box that I want, but I cannot find a US reseller, and the company has not responded. Does anybody here know of a place to purchase a Packline NX premium roof box?

thanks!

Old 06-07-2019, 06:58 AM
Virgilstar
1st Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sbreech
If you use a rooftop box, please post pics and descriptions for me to get some ideas.
I don't have pics, but we run a Thule Pulse Alpine box (https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/cargo...pine-_-1680041). 4 good things... (i) It's about the cheapest Thule you can get. (ii) The length matches almost perfectly to the Clubman roof-line, so it doesn't protrude front or back. Looks good on the car. Clamps onto the MINI crossbars easily. (iii) It's narrow enough that I still have room to run a rooftop bike rack alongside it, to bring a mountain bike along on camping trips. (iv) I really don't notice much wind noise or any drop in gas mileage with it.

It's big enough for a ski or camping weekend if your stuff is in bits (e.g., sleeping bags and duffel bags thrown in). Not big enough for suitcases though. Weatherproofing is pretty good - have never had serious water intrusion despite driving through some bad storms. The ribs along the bottom do a good job of keeping the contents raised off the floor of the box, so if water does get in it sits low in the channels and doesn't get things wet. Nevertheless we usually wrap whatever is gonna be at the front in a trash bag just to be safe.

Only down-side is the lock closure mechanism can be a bit finicky if the box is crammed to the gills. We bought it at a close-out sale at the local bike shop - check your LBS first because this is a popular model for biking (see (iii) above) and they often have display models to let go for cheaper.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:05 AM
Landspeeder
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Try packasport.com - they are produced in Oregon. Had one of their models for about 20 years. Fiberglass, very durable, several sizes available.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:28 PM
sbreech
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Virgilstar
I don't have pics, but we run a Thule Pulse Alpine box (https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/cargo...pine-_-1680041). 4 good things... (i) It's about the cheapest Thule you can get. (ii) The length matches almost perfectly to the Clubman roof-line, so it doesn't protrude front or back. Looks good on the car. Clamps onto the MINI crossbars easily. (iii) It's narrow enough that I still have room to run a rooftop bike rack alongside it, to bring a mountain bike along on camping trips. (iv) I really don't notice much wind noise or any drop in gas mileage with it.

It's big enough for a ski or camping weekend if your stuff is in bits (e.g., sleeping bags and duffel bags thrown in). Not big enough for suitcases though. Weatherproofing is pretty good - have never had serious water intrusion despite driving through some bad storms. The ribs along the bottom do a good job of keeping the contents raised off the floor of the box, so if water does get in it sits low in the channels and doesn't get things wet. Nevertheless we usually wrap whatever is gonna be at the front in a trash bag just to be safe.

Only down-side is the lock closure mechanism can be a bit finicky if the box is crammed to the gills. We bought it at a close-out sale at the local bike shop - check your LBS first because this is a popular model for biking (see (iii) above) and they often have display models to let go for cheaper.
Thanks for the info! I will consider the alpine. The Packline NX can be had, but it will cost me about $3000 including shipping, and I'm not willing to shell out that cash for a rooftop carrier that I will use once or twice a year.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:52 AM
sbreech
2nd Gear
Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Thule Motion XT Alpine in black to perch on top of my black Clubman, which I also do not have yet. It is fairly similar in dimensions to the Packline NX, but over $2000 cheaper. I couldn't stomach shelling out $3000 for a rooftop carrier, but dang it, the Packline looks amazing.

Old 08-07-2020, 04:24 PM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by sbreech
Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Thule Motion XT Alpine in black to perch on top of my black Clubman, which I also do not have yet. It is fairly similar in dimensions to the Packline NX, but over $2000 cheaper. I couldn't stomach shelling out $3000 for a rooftop carrier, but dang it, the Packline looks amazing.
hey SBreech, I’m in the market for a Thule motion now. Was looking at the XT size large. I thought the alpine was too long? How’s the fit? Do you have an image you can share by chance?

Old 08-10-2020, 04:42 PM
RazorRamon
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thule Motion XT

I have Thule motion XT on my car. I wish it could be slightly thinner looking, but overall, I think it still looks great and proportionate to the car.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:11 PM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by RazorRamon
I have Thule motion XT on my car. I wish it could be slightly thinner looking, but overall, I think it still looks great and proportionate to the car.
Looks bitchin’ slammed. I’ve got to do the big brake kit next. Forgot to ask, size L or XL motion XT? Thanks for being a super help. I can see exactly what it’s going to look like.

The following users liked this post:
RazorRamon (08-27-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 05:49 PM
RazorRamon
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AirborneMini003
Looks bitchin’ slammed. I’ve got to do the big brake kit next. Forgot to ask, size L or XL motion XT? Thanks for being a super help. I can see exactly what it’s going to look like.

Mine is a large I think. XL is a bit too big.

Old 08-10-2020, 06:43 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RazorRamon
Looks great. I've been trying to decide between the Thule Motion XT and the Thule Vector M. Mostly I love the Vector but it's about 6" longer than the Motion XT.

The following users liked this post:
RazorRamon (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 05:37 PM
Masada
3rd Gear
Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts
Hey all,
I recently installed a Thule Flow 606 box. It is big at 90 inches long but with the barn doors clearance is not an issue.
​​​​​

The following 2 users liked this post by Masada:
gearhead60 (08-31-2020), rabia (02-07-2022)