F54 Resonator Delete Clubman All4 S

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 09:23 AM
Mayfair
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resonator Delete Clubman All4 S

Hi Everyone,

Just got the 2018 Clubman All4 S in manual. Wanted to check if anyone did a resonator delete? If so, does it crackle louder in sport?

Any other cheap mods you guys recommend?

Old 08-02-2018, 01:15 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Mayfair
Hi Everyone,

Just got the 2018 Clubman All4 S in manual. Wanted to check if anyone did a resonator delete? If so, does it crackle louder in sport?

Any other cheap mods you guys recommend?
Congratulations on joining the Clubman Club. Some say resonator deletes don't sound very good -- a matter of taste. Probably better to redo the muffler.

I've found best bang for my buck was the Dinan Sport Tuner -- though opinions and your mileage may vary on this mod. But for me, it changed the car substantially for the better for less than $300.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:30 AM
Mayfair
2nd Gear
Thanks very much. I was simply looking for more/louder crackles

Old 08-03-2018, 07:56 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Wink

Thanks very much. I was simply looking for more/louder crackles
Right. In SPORT mode the crackles and pops are more pronounced, as I'm sure you've discovered. But they are muted in the F54. I have read that resonator removal can result in an unpleasant 'drone' sound. Several BMW owners have tried it without satisfaction.

There are good quality flow-through mufflers that can be retrofitted and some people have done interesting things with rigging by-pass tubing so some of the flow goes from the resonator straight out one of the exhaust tips, bypassing the muffler altogether. Depends on how you feel about your neighbors.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:59 AM
Mayfair
2nd Gear
Yeah, you are right. The sound is quite muffled. I think the cut out solution would be just too loud.

As you suggested, I'm gonna look into some mufflers. There aren't many YouTube videos out there for the car yet.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:32 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Yeah, you are right. The sound is quite muffled. I think the cut out solution would be just too loud.

As you suggested, I'm gonna look into some mufflers. There aren't many YouTube videos out there for the car yet.
I remember seeing a vid some time back showing guys cutting open, and then gutting, stock mufflers and then re-welding them. As I recall, on a BMW they did it sounded pretty good, though a bit raspy.

Some MINI owners have used Magnaflow. I know they claim to have a cat-back system for the F54 Clubman under development. https://www.magnaflow.com/products?p...archTerm=19318

I wonder if there isn't a stock generic dual outlet flow-through muffler that can be fitted??

Of course, there are some excellent, but very pricey systems out there. NAM vendors can help you there, if you want to spend the bucks for different noise and a very, very modest performance increase.

And then there are the down pipe boyz…

But, I have to say, the refinement of the Clubman is often perhaps best enjoyed.... quietly. (I'm old).

Best of luck.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:35 PM
tdeange
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just came from a muffler shop and they suggested taking a Magnaflow muffler that they called a "Camaro muffler" that has two opening on one side and one on the other. They would take the single pipe from the resonator and bend a pipe going into the end with the two openings and make pipes to match the stock ones coming out of each side. There is enough room there. They would cut from the entire muffler-back so I can reinstall if I want later in one piece. Not cheap, but cheaper than a full cat-back exhaust + installation. They quoted me all stainless with new tips (you need new tips) around $650 installed. They can do aluminum for about $100 less and if I bring them my own tips they'll take another $100 off. They said they've done it on a couple BMWs and he knows there's enough room to do it on the clubman.

The following users liked this post:
2017All4 (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 08:32 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by tdeange
I just came from a muffler shop and they suggested taking a Magnaflow muffler that they called a "Camaro muffler" that has two opening on one side and one on the other. They would take the single pipe from the resonator and bend a pipe going into the end with the two openings and make pipes to match the stock ones coming out of each side. There is enough room there. They would cut from the entire muffler-back so I can reinstall if I want later in one piece. Not cheap, but cheaper than a full cat-back exhaust + installation. They quoted me all stainless with new tips (you need new tips) around $650 installed. They can do aluminum for about $100 less and if I bring them my own tips they'll take another $100 off. They said they've done it on a couple BMWs and he knows there's enough room to do it on the clubman.
That sounds like a fair price for all the cutting and plumbing plus the muffler itself and tips. But still pricey. Might be interesting to get the part # for the muffler and shop some NAM vendors just to compare.