F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 AC not turning off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:31 PM
ZiaMan24
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
AC not turning off?

So after running the AC for some time, whether its on the Auto Climate or the "Max AC" setting, the AC doesn't turn off immediately after pushing the button. I know it's still on because with just the fan running, cold air still comes out for quite a long time. Also during this time, my car doesn't auto-start/stop. It isn't really a serious issue, but kind of annoying, like just a little bit. Is this normal on Minis?

Old 07-26-2018, 07:42 AM
Virgilstar
1st Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Do you have the system set to blow/deliver air on the windshield? Most cars nowadays have an interlock so that the AC compressor runs automatically whenever it's blowing air on the windshield, to aid in defogging. On our other car (Honda) we couldn't figure out why the fanbelt was running all the time even on cool days, and eventually confirmed it was the cooling fan blowing across the AC coils because the AC was running all the time, because we always run the position switch in windshield mode (it's humid here!) Try moving the blower to feet or dash vents, no windshield, and see if the compressor turns off.

The following users liked this post:
iwashmycar (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 01:27 PM
ZiaMan24
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Virgilstar
Do you have the system set to blow/deliver air on the windshield? Most cars nowadays have an interlock so that the AC compressor runs automatically whenever it's blowing air on the windshield, to aid in defogging. On our other car (Honda) we couldn't figure out why the fanbelt was running all the time even on cool days, and eventually confirmed it was the cooling fan blowing across the AC coils because the AC was running all the time, because we always run the position switch in windshield mode (it's humid here!) Try moving the blower to feet or dash vents, no windshield, and see if the compressor turns off.
No, I don't put it on the windshield mode, since I am also familiar with this situation when I had my Honda Fit. You can really feel the difference in power when driving a small car with the AC on.

I have the air pointed to face and feet as my preferred mode. I'm not sure why it keeps the AC running for so long after turning it off.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:59 PM
MINIMac1115
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I can’t remember off the top of my head on the setting name (it’s called Comfort Ventilation on BMWs), but near the bottom under Vehicle Settings there’s an option to continuously blow air when you turn the car off. It’s basically meant to keep air circulating if you run into a store on a hot day so you come back to a cooler car. Worth checking if this setting is switched to on.