F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Wireless Charging = Hot Phone

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:42 PM
MINIMac1115
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wireless Charging = Hot Phone

I’ve only had my new Clubman for two days. It is equipped with wireless charging. On my way home from work (20 min drive) I popped it in the charging cradle in the armrest and when I removed my iPhone X it was quite hot. I use a wireless charger like 90% of the time to charge my phone at home and in the office and have never experienced it get this warm.

Just curious if if anyone has experienced something similar?

Old 07-01-2018, 08:19 AM
Nyles
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MINIMac1115
I’ve only had my new Clubman for two days. It is equipped with wireless charging. On my way home from work (20 min drive) I popped it in the charging cradle in the armrest and when I removed my iPhone X it was quite hot. I use a wireless charger like 90% of the time to charge my phone at home and in the office and have never experienced it get this warm.

Just curious if if anyone has experienced something similar?
yep. Same problem here. Got so hot one time my phone shutdown because the thermal sensor was activated.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:33 AM
MINIMac1115
1st Gear
Yeah it’s sometimes a little too hot for my comfort. I haven’t had it shutdown...yet. Just wanted to see if it was common or something I needed to have MINI service take a look at.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:44 AM
Lefooey
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've noticed this as well. I think there's insufficient ventilation in the armrest when it's closed. Mine gets warm enough that the charging speed is significantly diminished.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:34 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
My suspicion is that the charging station might be pushing too much amperage into the phone causing it to get hot. Might need to have Mini check that if possible.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:36 PM
MINIMac1115
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Lefooey
I've noticed this as well. I think there's insufficient ventilation in the armrest when it's closed. Mine gets warm enough that the charging speed is significantly diminished.
Totally agree. I feel they easily could have added a small slit to vent heat out the compartment. I just got the car 2 weeks ago so I thought it was simply because the east coast has been brutally hot. Curious if during fall/winter months it charges at a normal temp.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:39 PM
MINIMac1115
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gearhead60
My suspicion is that the charging station might be pushing too much amperage into the phone causing it to get hot. Might need to have Mini check that if possible.
I’m by no means an electrician, but doesn’t the phone pull the needed energy vs. having energy pushed to it? I’ve also been running Apple CarPlay every time it’s been charging. I thought it’s possible that the excess heat could also be due to the phone’s processor in conjunction with wireless charging.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:09 PM
Mayfair
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Gonna contact the garage tomorrow. Did anyone find any reason as to why is it getting so hot? I have a wireless charger at home, and the phone never gets hot or shows the message that the phone needs to cool down.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:30 PM
MINIMac1115
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mayfair
I'm having the same problem. Gonna contact the garage tomorrow. Did anyone find any reason as to why is it getting so hot? I have a wireless charger at home, and the phone never gets hot or shows the message that the phone needs to cool down.
I use CarPlay 100% of the time I’m in my car. It auto-connects when I turn it on. I’m guessing part of the heat is actually heat generated from the phone’s processor and charging combo. I’ve noticed the battery % from the start of a 30 min trip and when I grab my phone at the end of the trip it’s reads the same %.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:15 PM
Mayfair
2nd Gear
I use CarPlay 100% of the time I’m in my car. It auto-connects when I turn it on. I’m guessing part of the heat is actually heat generated from the phone’s processor and charging combo. I’ve noticed the battery % from the start of a 30 min trip and when I grab my phone at the end of the trip it’s reads the same %.
Yes, good point. Im gonna turn off CarPlay tomorrow for the day and try charging that way.

Either way, BMW should do exhaustive testing before adding wireless charging to their cars. What's the point of adding wireless charging, if we can't charge the phone as intended. ?

Old 08-17-2018, 10:13 PM
Mayfair
2nd Gear
I heard back from the mini garage that it's a known issue. However, they don't have a solution or fix for it yet.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:05 AM
MINIMac1115
1st Gear
I heard back from the mini garage that it's a known issue. However, they don't have a solution or fix for it yet.
thanks for sharing! Glad to hear they are aware of it...now let’s hope they do something about it!

Old 08-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Mayfair
2nd Gear
thanks for sharing! Glad to hear they are aware of it...now let’s hope they do something about it!
Welcome. Apparently this issue occurs in BMW's as well. They made couple of recommendations though:

1. Avoid using Spotify or stream music while charging.

2. If the battery is already very low, then the phone will heat up faster. They recommended that charge over 50%, would cause less heating.

Either way, it's an issues and I hope they recall the part & replace it with a proper functioning wireless charger.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:07 PM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
The armrest in my 2019 F57 has wireless charging built in (same as it seems is being discussed here). It also has a perforated section on the passenger's side of the armrest, and there's a small fan in there. The phone does get warm, but it's never been HOT and certainly hasn't shutdown or anything.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:13 AM
ND40oz
3rd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Welcome. Apparently this issue occurs in BMW's as well. They made couple of recommendations though:

1. Avoid using Spotify or stream music while charging.

2. If the battery is already very low, then the phone will heat up faster. They recommended that charge over 50%, would cause less heating.

Either way, it's an issues and I hope they recall the part & replace it with a proper functioning wireless charger.
It works fine in my X3 with an iPhone X, the phone doesn't get hot at all, probably because it's up in front of the cup holders and not stuffed in the armrest. Now that Mini is offering the choice of 6NW or 6NP, is better to forgo the wireless charging and just get Enhanced USB or do you need 6NW to have wireless CarPlay?

Old 08-19-2018, 10:20 AM
Mayfair
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ND40oz
It works fine in my X3 with an iPhone X, the phone doesn't get hot at all, probably because it's up in front of the cup holders and not stuffed in the armrest. Now that Mini is offering the choice of 6NW or 6NP, is better to forgo the wireless charging and just get Enhanced USB or do you need 6NW to have wireless CarPlay?
Actually I'm not sure. If I remember correctly, it was called the wired package for my 2018 F54 and don't know the product code associated with that package.

Now, For 2019 I think Mini has just three packages to chose from.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:30 AM
MINIMac1115
1st Gear
Actually I'm not sure. If I remember correctly, it was called the wired package for my 2018 F54 and don't know the product code associated with that package.

Now, For 2019 I think Mini has just three packages to chose from.
Here’s the technology/wired package codes for my car. I believe that the wired package was required with the tech package as you had to have the 8.8” screen. 2019s changed in that set packages/options defined 3 tiers. In 2018s, CarPlay required the tech package and with the tech package was the wired package.

Its interesting that MINI sees an issue based on the fact that they added a fan and more vents in the 2019 LCI. While I know it’s pretty common for phones to get warm with wireless charging, it is rather excessively hot...to the point of my phone becoming extremely laggy but hasn’t shutdown yet. My bigger concern is what is all that excess heat doing to the longevity of my phone’s battery?

Old 08-24-2018, 04:59 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Here’s the technology/wired package codes for my car. I believe that the wired package was required with the tech package as you had to have the 8.8” screen. 2019s changed in that set packages/options defined 3 tiers. In 2018s, CarPlay required the tech package and with the tech package was the wired package.

Its interesting that MINI sees an issue based on the fact that they added a fan and more vents in the 2019 LCI. While I know it’s pretty common for phones to get warm with wireless charging, it is rather excessively hot...to the point of my phone becoming extremely laggy but hasn’t shutdown yet. My bigger concern is what is all that excess heat doing to the longevity of my phone’s battery?

I think there always used to be a fan, when the charging cradles were optioned, on previous-gen MINIs. I actually half expected to have one this time, and was a little bit surprised that there isn't -- just passive venting.

The wireless charging is so slow and ineffective, it's barely worth using except on a long trip. I hope they add fast-charging at some point as an option, that you can swap out for.

After all:
https://www.bury.com/business/maerkt...uktive-ladung/

Old 09-24-2018, 08:51 PM
MINIMac1115
1st Gear
I got an iPhone XS last Friday and thought I’d see how it does with the wireless charging. So far, my experience has been much better. The phone is no where near as warm/hot as it was previously on my iPhone X. Albeit, I only outfitted my new phone with a bumper and left the glass back exposed. I ditched the case I was using (Pitaka MagCase).

Out of curiosity, those that have experienced excessive warming, do you have your phone in a case? Is so, does that case also have a magnet that is used to mount the phone magnetically to a vent mount? Could this be a cause?

Old 09-25-2018, 10:09 AM
Lefooey
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got an iPhone XS last Friday and thought I’d see how it does with the wireless charging. So far, my experience has been much better. The phone is no where near as warm/hot as it was previously on my iPhone X. Albeit, I only outfitted my new phone with a bumper and left the glass back exposed. I ditched the case I was using (Pitaka MagCase).

Out of curiosity, those that have experienced excessive warming, do you have your phone in a case? Is so, does that case also have a magnet that is used to mount the phone magnetically to a vent mount? Could this be a cause?
I’ll have to try this and report back. I’ve had my iPhone X in an Apple leather case since day one.