F54 Brake light issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 08:03 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Brake light issue

Anyone seen this one?

Yesterday, on my way home from work, I hit the brakes and got the warning on the dash that I had a brake light failure on the left side. Okay, I thought, I got this.

However, by the time I actually got home, the warning had dismissed itself and was not returning.

I checked it when I got home, and all was working fine, except that MAYBE the left bumper brake light (post-recall, so only the outer) was coming on a little slower than the others when the pedal is pressed. Maybe it was just in my head.

This morning's commute, no issues, no warnings. But when I got to the office, I locked the doors, then went around to the barn doors and opened them (comfort access). When you do this, the bumper-mounted brake lights come on. Only, no doubt, the left was MUCH dimmer than the right.

Tonight at home, I experimented a bunch, and although the light appears to be fine with the brake pedal, it is dim and a little bit flickery when it's on with the doors locked but the hatch open.

I tried swapping the two left-side bumper bulbs, since the inner one isn't used anymore -- but still, same issue. Appears to be wiring-related.

Car needs its 22K service in a month or so, so I'll probably let the dealer deal with it. But just curious ... anyone else seen something like that?

Last edited by GDGR; 04-24-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:34 PM
ZiaMan24
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
This was happening to my 2016 MCS Clubman. Warning came and went within a day. Then eventually came back about a week or so later, this time the light was actually out. Mine was the right side.

I was still under warranty, so I just went to the dealer to do my ~20K service and they just replaced it for me.

Less than a month later, the warning came back up, and it was the same brake light that went out. This time I asked the dealer to do a thorough inspection in case there was a wiring issue. They just replaced the bulb again and said it was probably just a bad bulb.

It's been another month or so now, and I am at ~23K miles. No issues.