F54 Long time NAM'er Interested in F54 Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 06:05 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Long time NAM'er Interested in F54 Cooper S

Hey NAMers!

I am looking into picking up a 2016 F54.

I know I have been out of touch mostly with MINIs since a few years ago (Although I do still have my R53).

First main question would be the reliability of the new clubbies.

I know it was the first year for them and MINI has never been good with 1st year model - reliability wise.

Is there a particular issue that I should be aware of / look for when shopping for a 2016 model?

Secondly, how big is the interior space, compare to R60s? (Wife had a R60 for a couple of years, so we are trying to gauge an actual size, without seeing one yet).

I will be checking one out in person sometime during this week but wanted to check in first !

Old 11-20-2017, 09:00 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
More space in several areas due to the increase size of the new Clubman versus an R60 Countryman[ and we previously had both R60 and R55 cars, so we're aware of how much they grew...]
However, the space is laid differently than either Gen Countryman since a Clubman remains low, and you get height with a Countryman. You'll figure out all of this once you sit in that 2016 and drive it a bit.
I think the changes in features between the 2016's and new 2018's could also be something you'd study a bit too. LED headlights I believe are now standard, was previously an option if they matter to you. Compared to the Xenon's we had on the R60, they are whiter in color and just as bright at night. The Cornering Light function of them is also helpful.
I looked at a couple of used and still new 2016s before I bought my 2017 since the price drop was attractive with the vehicles being now 2 years old. They were either not the color or not the option build I was looking for, so I passed on them.
What's in the 2016 you're looking at?