F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Caliper covers or paint for F54 FTC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 08:10 AM
Tcgorm
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Caliper covers or paint for F54 FTC?

After a month of ownership and almost 3,000 miles, I am very happy with my Cooper S fwd. Except I want a little more color behind my factory black 17" wheels. My Clubbie is British racing green w/black rook and mirrors. I fancy either red or yellow for contrast.

I don't want to spend the $$$ for the JCW big brakes so I think my only alternatives are caliper covers or caliper paint. Caliper paint is probably the easiest choice although I am somewhat concerned about flaking, etc.

There is about 1/2" of clearance between the wheel spokes and the factory calipers. Is that sufficient for caliper covers or will I need spacers?

Anyone out here have any thoughts?

Curious in Charleston

Old 10-23-2017, 09:24 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
I painted them several years ago and they still look great. Use G2 caliper paint. And, while you have the wheels off, paint the disc hats as well for extra pop.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:33 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
I think painting them is the way to go. I get tons of complements on Scarlet (Chili Red) and the painted calipers. I've gone one step more and have painted the BMW that is stamped on the calipers black, a very nice contrast. Black enamel paint with a painters brush, or nail polish brush...

Old 10-23-2017, 12:47 PM
Tcgorm
1st Gear
Caliper color?

I like red for the calipers, it seems to be the "traditional" performance brake color, but I am intrigued by yellow with the BRG body color.

Any comments on color choice? Also, seems like there isn't much love for for caliper covers, right?

Old 10-23-2017, 12:52 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I would suggest just painting them using a quality caliper painting kit.

I do NOT recommend the caliper covers. We have seen so many issues with them coming loose, making noise, not fitting, and so on we refuse to sell them. Let alone they advertise they make the calipers cooler which is 100% false as they hold the heat in. And their test shows them measuring the cover and not the actual caliper so that is why they claim that. Don't do it.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-23-2017, 06:48 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Definite no to the covers. Just asking for trouble with a cosmetic cover. ++1 on the G2 Caliper Paint Kit. High quality kit that will give you good results if you follow the directions. I would however recommend a better quality paint brush for applying the epoxy paint. Best results if you put it on jack stands and remove all wheels before cleaning all the components to be painted. I used an additional can of cleaner and a small wire brush for prep. After cleaning, start on one corner with a thin coat of paint and the move on to the next corner. By the time you return to you first corner the paint will be ready for the next coat. Repeat until you're happy with results. Don't sweat any runs you might see because they'll clear up overnight. I wouldn't replace wheels for 12-24 hours. YMMV

Old 10-24-2017, 01:03 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
I would go with Gold or Yellow on a British green mini Trust me you will not regret it!

Old 10-24-2017, 07:26 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tcgorm
I like red for the calipers, it seems to be the "traditional" performance brake color, but I am intrigued by yellow with the BRG body color.

Any comments on color choice? Also, seems like there isn't much love for for caliper covers, right?
If I had the BRG, I would go for the yellow or gold look...Have fun..

Old 10-24-2017, 08:04 PM
Masada
3rd Gear
Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts
Painting them looks so much nicer. Caliper covers look cheap and tacky IMO...not to mention any issues they might cause.

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (10-24-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 04:32 PM
Loonysup
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Probably a stupid question, but do you have to remove the calipers to paint them? I’m contemplating doing them since I want to coat the barrels of my wheels anyway and could take care of both at the same time.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:22 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
No. Put 'er up on floor stands, remove the wheels and get started. How to get it up on floor stands you ask...BlimeyCabrio has the answer and I've done it numerous times. Open the link below and scroll down to "How a stud lifts a MINI":
http://www.blimeycabrio.com/2007/04/

Old 10-26-2017, 07:12 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Loonysup
Probably a stupid question, but do you have to remove the calipers to paint them? I’m contemplating doing them since I want to coat the barrels of my wheels anyway and could take care of both at the same time.
I removed the calipers off the rotors, I did not removed the brake lines. I used a bungee cord to suspend them and plastic to cover the rotors and the other parts I did not want painted. If I had to do it all over again, I would remove them from the brake lines so that I could flush the brake lines and use new fluid, which I did at a later date anyway. Hope that helps..

Old 11-04-2017, 02:20 PM
RYANR56
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have done both. I have caliper covers, which are a thin shaped aluminum with a patented bolt system. Not too bad. Made by MGP. I have also painted calipers in the past. Caliper covers for about 200 bucks. Painting them will definitely be cheaper. But more time intensive. Either way, a pop of color is nice! I have a red Cooper with red calipers, but I might do yellow calipers behind my black wheels just for a different look I like the yellow idea for the green car.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Tcgorm
1st Gear
Talking Ok, I give up

Y'all have just about convinced me to go with yellow, although I might just buy a can of red as well.

I kinda like the yellow as that is the caliper color German cars use for their ceramic brake systems. Not that I want to be a ceramic brake poser, but if it's good enough for them....although I could also buy some Brembo decals, hmmm

Old 11-14-2017, 06:41 AM
1RavingLunatic
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Just write "brembo" in sharpie

Old 11-16-2017, 02:07 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Sale on MGP covers:

Code AWBF50 saves $50
Code AWBF75 saves $75