F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Disabling the trunk button on the Key fob

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 05:24 PM
Pseudarius
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disabling the trunk button on the Key fob

Hey all, I'm not sure if this has been addressed as I assume the new (larger) key fobs date back to the start of the Gen 3s. In any case, I keep my key in my pocket, and have on several occasions gone outside to find 1 or both of the barn doors opened. My MA warned me of this when I picked up the car, but the real kicker was while getting off the highway and sitting at a stoplight at the end of the exit ramp the engine auto-'powered down' (as it should while idling), and the button must have been depressed in my pocket because the door opened right there on the exit ramp!

I contacted my dealer about disabling the button since I can simply tug the door handle or kick my foot under the car to open them - there is no need to ever touch the key (I still like to use it to unlock doors before getting to the car). Apparently they can go into the cars computer to make it so the button must 'double click' to open the back doors, but I was wondering if I could simply open the key fob and disable that button.

Anyone else have this issue and/or find a fix?

Old 09-27-2017, 05:39 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
You can use Bimmercode to delay the trunk opening.
Not sure the light of time.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:59 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Key fob, cup holder

Old 09-28-2017, 11:30 AM
godskid
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Key fob, cup holder
Yeah. Or, key fob, attached to belt, arranged NOT under seat belt.

I too have had a door pop open when the car came to a stop. Now I know better. I don't have the comfort-open, though, so I can't just kick to get them open.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:47 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Three options:
- Get something like this that will physically block your trunk button: https://www.shapeways.com/product/MY...ionId=61539561
- If you're using ESYS to code features, there is an option to disable the trunk opening from the keyfob unless the doors are unlocked (In BDC ECU, change VAM_DISABLE_OPEN_LID_AT_NOT_UNLOCKED to "aktiv")

- OR....you can take it to the dealer to perform this change. There is a bulletin addressing this issue and they can reprogram the behavior under warranty. (Bulletin SIM 51 09 16)

The following 3 users liked this post by siriuszero:
darex (10-31-2017), godskid (10-02-2017), TVPostSound (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 12:13 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Avoid Shapeways.
Both of mine lasted all of 3 weeks.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:40 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Avoid Shapeways.
I did one from one vendor that broke pretty quick but the vendor I listed is much better. I've had the same one for over a year and I just ordered another for my new car. Shapeways is just the service that does the 3D printing. Vendors make their own designs and some are better than others.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:08 PM
jbing
3rd Gear
Can you attach a picture to show what it looks like, please?

Originally Posted by siriuszero
Three options:
- Get something like this that will physically block your trunk button: https://www.shapeways.com/product/MY...ionId=61539561
- If you're using ESYS to code features, there is an option to disable the trunk opening from the keyfob unless the doors are unlocked (In BDC ECU, change VAM_DISABLE_OPEN_LID_AT_NOT_UNLOCKED to "aktiv")

- OR....you can take it to the dealer to perform this change. There is a bulletin addressing this issue and they can reprogram the behavior under warranty. (Bulletin SIM 51 09 16)

Old 10-01-2017, 05:29 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
If the keyfob is designed to come apart (to replace the battery, for example) it would be a small matter to unsolder the board mounted microswitch that operates the trunk, if this key design is similar to the early MINI keys. I doubt that it is, however, as the last MINI keyfob that was designed to come apart was in 2004. Since then they have all been sonically welded together, making disassmebly difficult, and often destroying the case in the process. Your best bet would be to have the car coded to make it a two-button push or to not open unless the doors are unlocked.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:51 PM
pw1114
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Avoid Shapeways.
buy the stainless steel version. It requires some sanding/buffing when received, but it stays pretty much immaculate through use and is more durable than even the OEM flying saucer thingy.

i also have the high-def acrylate version for my spare, but i can't speak to the durability because its my spare. sand and polish this version to make it shiny; great if your car is thunder grey.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:25 PM
jbing
3rd Gear
Which stainless version, give us a link? The links you have go to Fred Meyer Jewelry.

Originally Posted by pw1114
buy the stainless steel version. It requires some
sanding/buffing when received, but it stays pretty much immaculate through use and is more durable than even the OEM flying saucer thingy.

i also have the high-def acrylate version for my spare, but i can't speak to the durability because its my spare. sand and polish this version to make it shiny; great if your car is thunder grey.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:37 PM
pw1114
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jbing
Which stainless version, give us a link? The links you have go to Fred Meyer Jewelry.
mine doesn't have the button protector though. but you can message the person that is selling the button protector version to unlock the stainless steel material option in the dropdown menu in shapeways.

edit: i'm gonna msg the guy myself to have him unlock the aluminum material option, and I'll let you know what the results re if he unlocks it and i order it.

Last edited by pw1114; 10-01-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:14 AM
godskid
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered one of those button guards from Shapeways, but it was the first one that I ever installed. I broke off some of the bits while installing it, and lost the cover on day 1. The other cover I bought (without the button guard, darn) has lasted 3 months so far. Very nice.

I should go order the button-guard one again. My garage door wouldn't go up this morning. Walked to the back of the car and discovered that the barn door was part way open, and the garage door was catching on its bottom and trying to lift up the door. I hope neither the MINI nor the garage door was damaged.

And it's clear that protecting the barndoor button while driving is not enough. I need to protect it while I'm simply living in the rest of the house, too. Sigh.

(Edit: PS Thanks for the link above, to Shapeways. That's what it took, to get me to actually order one.)

Last edited by godskid; 10-02-2017 at 02:33 PM. Reason: a thank youj