F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Are you Satisfied?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 11:18 AM
Michael Hayes
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you Satisfied?

We own 2 MINI Coopers and have been thinking about purchasing a 2018 Clubman S, automatic.

If you own either a 2017 Clubman or a 2017 Clubman S, I'd like to know if you're satisfied with your car, or not? What do you like most about it and least about it?

Thank you.

Last edited by Michael Hayes; 06-16-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:11 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
This was explored awhile ago at:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-d-change.html

After 3,600 miles, I am lovin' my Clubman S All4 more and more. Trouble-free, better build than some prior MINI's, recommend if you do decide on a Clubman that you plan on adding some options as the car is more enjoyable, IMO, when it's more 'complete.'

It is not a super light car, so the S or JCW really gives it more oomph, as does a sport tuner box like NM, Dinan, or JB, or others from Europe.

I am surprised how much I'm enjoying the 8 speed auto tranny with paddle shifters though I understand and get that gear rowers love the manual.

The main thing that appealed to us about the car is the very thing that many MINI enthusiasts don't like -- it is more car than other models and has a more settled, refined way about it -- still plenty of go kart feeling, but not your nuts and bolts MINI of yore.

This is my first MINI, having lived with Jags and Range Rovers and BMW's.
Satisfied plus with our Clubby. And I would say I'm picky and demanding.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:16 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
15 months in now for me. Other than the things I mentioned in the 8-month thread, I'm still struggling with a clutch chatter and a persistent rattle in the overhead console. I'm now starting to miss horsepower and torque, so I'll probably add in the Dinan module.

But generally the car is everything it promises to be, and I'll echo 2017All4's comment -- this is also my first Mini (though far from my first BMW) and what I like about it is it's practicality and flexibility while still having the Mini personality.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:28 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by GDGR
I'm now starting to miss horsepower and torque, so I'll probably add in the Dinan module.
GDGR: 15 months in and no sport tuner??? That's like leaving a frat party at 8PM just when the fun is about to start!!!

Old 06-15-2017, 06:17 PM
GP193
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 Clubman

Originally Posted by Michael Hayes
We own 2 MINI Coopers and have been thinking about purchasing a 2018 Cooper S.

If you own either a 2017 Clubman or a 2017 Clubman S, I'd like to know if you're satisfied with your car, or not? What do you like most about it and least about it?

Thank you.
The wife has a new 2017 Clubman. Absolutely loves it! Oddly, she would have liked to have heated seats...yes...even in Florida.

She didn't like the 'S' seats becasue they dug into her lower thigh, so the non-S seats were good for her.

The barn doors have the auto open feature when you swipe your foot under the license plate. Great feature!

Ipod connector / USB. Another good option

Roof Rack rails - future kayak racks

I too like the clubman a lot. The S is nice, but not my driver so there was no need for the sport stuff. I'll just drive my GP

The following users liked this post:
Michael Hayes (06-16-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 06:42 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
I have to echo all of 2017All4 sentiments, however I have the manual transmission vs. the automatic. I love it! One thing I did was get the Cravenspeed shortshifter and **** as I thought the shifter was too sloppy. It has made a big difference for shifting. Only drawback is it is very labor intensive to install as the center console has to come out and it is a challenge.

I optioned the car very well and would do it the same again as I've been happy with all of them.

Car comes with runflats but would suggest ordering spare as it is cheap ($100) relative to the cost of getting one later. I didn't and it cost me almost double to put it together. This also gives you the option to dump the runflats later.

Best part about car: Barn doors, handling and flexibility, color (digital blue), seats, LED headlights.
Dislikes: A/C could be better, head rests are fix (fore and aft) which need to be adjustable.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:48 AM
Michael Hayes
2nd Gear
Interesting comments, thank you.
Being that my wife has severe back problems we will be ordering the power seats, so that she can quickly adjust them.
Anybody have power seats? What do you think of them?

Old 06-16-2017, 07:18 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Being that my wife has severe back problems we will be ordering the power seats, so that she can quickly adjust them.
I didn't order the power seats as just couldn't stomache the additional cost. The benefit is if there are multiple drivers and you need to re-adjust the seat all the time. I think that can be set up in the profile. See this link as Motoringfile did a rundown on the essential options and basically say the same thing about the power seat option... http://www.motoringfile.com/2017/06/...ions-mini-jcw/

Old 06-16-2017, 07:55 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
I like the power lounge leather seats we have. No memory on passenger side, which seems cheap. Memory buttons are located on the side so a little dangerous to try and look at them while driving. I would order memory again. But then, I leased so the cost is less.

If there are back issues, take a long demo ride. The Clubman is more refined, but, especially with run flats, you feel the road. ( I did order the spare and ditched the run flats which improved ride and handling)

Old 06-16-2017, 08:16 AM
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
My wife and I are six weeks into a 2017 Clubman S All4. It’s our first non-Japanese car after decades in Toyotas, a Mazda (’91 Miata) and an Infiniti G37S, all of which were dead-solid reliable, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed in that regard.

The Clubman’s the bee’s knees, as far as I’m concerned. It puts a smile on my face like the Miata used to, but it can still tote our large dogs and whatever else we might typically need to lug around.

I’m happy with the S platform coupled with the 8-speed auto (another first, as until now we’ve always had at least one manual transmission in the garage). Overall the combo is suitably perky, even in mid-mode, and the base suspension is pleasantly firm and fine for our purposes.

We did go for the power seats to have the memory option for both the seats and outside mirrors, as we’re constantly swapping cars back and forth. The seat/mirror memory is tied to the key fob, so you have to unlock the car with your fob, or else use the memory button on the seat itself, to make the adjustment; I believe it operates independently of the driver profile.

I opted for the spare tire kit, which comes from the factory with everything needed and is securely mounted in the storage area in back, with room left over for other supplies.

We’ve found the AC to be fine — it reached 99F here yesterday (central Texas), and no problems.

I also love the barn doors, they’re a hoot and they’ve already proven quite useful. We don’t have the convenience package, though, so I can’t comment on the kick-to-open feature. We included roof rails in our order but have not yet sourced rack hardware.

Negatives:
No specific complaints regarding the engine, but I’m still getting used to being back behind a 4-cylinder after the silky-smooth V6 in our G37S (which was a nice coupe that served us well, but it was also bigger, heavier, and far less practical than the F54).
We do have a couple of minor interior trim rattles that I’m going to track down.
The fuel gauge is straight out of 1986. The updated version that you’ll have on a 2018 looks a lot nicer to me, at least in pictures.
As I think others have mentioned elsewhere, I could’ve done with a traditional parking brake rather than the electric, and of course, a dipstick as well.

Executive summary: Might change a thing or two, but love it.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:22 AM
2nd Gear
I would note, too, that the power seats have a lumbar adjustment that your wife may be able to get some benefit from. The extent of the lumbar "protrusion" can be changed, and also moved up/down along the lumbar area of the seatback. She'll want to check that out, and I hope it helps.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:28 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by gearhead60

Best part about car: Barn doors.
Especially once you master the fast kick technique for hands free opening

Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Especially once you master the fast kick technique for hands free opening
I'll take credit for that tip......

Old 06-16-2017, 02:57 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by gearhead60
I'll take credit for that tip......
Credit where credit is due. Son, you changed my life.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:42 AM
Michael Hayes
2nd Gear
Thanks to all of your information above. We decided to place an order for a Clubman S, automatic with power seats and a spare tire. It should arrive mid August.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:16 AM
2nd Gear
Thanks to all of your information above. We decided to place an order for a Clubman S, automatic with power seats and a spare tire. It should arrive mid August.
Excellent, congratulations! I hope you'll post some pics when it arrives...

Old 06-22-2017, 01:12 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Color?

Old 06-23-2017, 05:20 AM
Michael Hayes
2nd Gear
The colors will be: Digital blue with a white roof and mirrors.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:30 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Great color!

Old 06-24-2017, 05:27 AM
miniluvrF54
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats! You will love it. I went from a 2014 Cadillac CTS to my Clubman just 2 weeks ago and I'm so in love with it

Old 06-24-2017, 04:25 PM
Michael Hayes
2nd Gear
minluverF54:
I see you're in Buffalo, NY. Our son lives and works there, and he's getting our 2010 BRG and white MINI Cooper when we get our Clubman. I hope the local dealership is OK.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:48 PM
miniluvrF54
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Towne MINI is our local dealership and at least for the sales process they've been great. I've heard great things about their service as well.

There is also an active MINI club on Facebook called MINI Club of WNY (Western New York)