F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Cravenspeed Adjustable Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 07:29 PM
Diablo243
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I optioned DDC myself and may be regretting that decision, we'll see. I'm still holding out hope for JCW Pro suspension and exhaust but that seems like a long shot. The 3gen Clubman has been around long enough that it seems pretty certain people aren't modding them much, I can only hope with a JCW model now it may change things, but Clubman sales have plummeted so who knows. I took such a bath on my 2013 Clubman not really sure why I bought another but hope I don't regret it! Delivery is supposed to be this Monday so time will tell however I'm wondering if a 4 door hardtop JCW might have been a better choice.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:52 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Diablo243
I optioned DDC myself and may be regretting that decision, we'll see. I'm still holding out hope for JCW Pro suspension and exhaust but that seems like a long shot. The 3gen Clubman has been around long enough that it seems pretty certain people aren't modding them much, I can only hope with a JCW model now it may change things, but Clubman sales have plummeted so who knows. I took such a bath on my 2013 Clubman not really sure why I bought another but hope I don't regret it! Delivery is supposed to be this Monday so time will tell however I'm wondering if a 4 door hardtop JCW might have been a better choice.
I don't think you'll regret the decision. Personally, I don't care about the resale value. It is what it is. Last car I had (1999 Honda Civic Si), when I sold, people were beating down the door to buy it. Kept it for 17 years. Not to say, I will keep the clubby for another 17. I optioned it how I wanted it with the idea that I will hang on to it awhile. Although this is a 3rd gen car, it is based on a BMW platform. Since the new Countryman is based on it, it might prod the aftermarket to develop more stuff for them. Time will tell.....

Old 06-05-2017, 01:46 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Cravenspeed Shifter is installed. Warning! This install is not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced home mechanic. It took me and a friend approximately 5 hours to complete this install! I've worked on cars for over 30 years and have done everything from engines, clutches, brakes, struts, etc., but always deferred to others when doing interior or stereo installs. Fortunately, my friend is a former Professional Car Stereo installer and if he didn't have the knowledge he has about how the Germans design their interiors, it wouldn't have happened. I had planned on creating a tutorial for others, but it was so involved I only took pics at major stopping points.

Basically, you have to remove the outside 5 pieces to the console (only show 4 in the picture), and only then can you unbolt the console from the car. 4 bolts and about 15-16 screws and it will come out. Also, ½ a dozen plugs and the A/C vent to the rear to come out. Now the shifter area is open like shown on the F56 tutorial. The back piece where the AC vents are and the side panels need to unsnap and release in order to reach any of the screws or bolts. If you didn’t know better, you might never figure this out.

Fit and feel of the shifter is excellent! There is no fitment issue with the shifter, **** or bushing. We did have to do a little trimming on the replacement bushing to get the tabs to push in, but it wasn’t a big deal. Replacement bushing it definitely a must. You will likely damage the old one trying to remove the old shifter.

You must make sure you use wheel chocks or something to keep the car from rolling if you are not on a level surface as you will be unplugging the electric handbrake switch. It stays engaged, but I wouldn't take the chance.

Tip for an easier install would be to remove the seats, but this requires a rather large torx that I didn't have. You will need one to remove the seats, but would make life a lot easier to get the console out.

Shifter is installed

May the force be shift you......

I'm sure I didn't think of everything and welcome questions or comments!

The following users liked this post:
rmepilot (05-26-2021)
Old 06-05-2017, 03:41 PM
Diablo243
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Holy crap, thanks for taking one for the team but YIKES that is one hell of a center console frame. Would love to get a play by play on the take apart even without the pics. Thanks again for being the ginneapig on this one, I hope craven hooks you up with something!

Old 09-02-2017, 08:18 AM
DevilsReject1011
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Machining adapters for stock shifter

Sorry to butt in. The cravenspeed looks great but I definitely want my shift to be much taller (I'm 6'5). I am a machinist by trade and thought maybe modifying the stock shifter would be better. A couple of things I don't have are.
1. Shaft size on the bottom of the stock shifter.
2. The size of the ball on the bottom of the stock shifter.
3. What material is the stock shifter.

If anyone can give me a hand I'd really appreciate it.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:26 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DevilsReject1011
Sorry to butt in. The cravenspeed looks great but I definitely want my shift to be much taller (I'm 6'5). I am a machinist by trade and thought maybe modifying the stock shifter would be better. A couple of things I don't have are.

I can't give you these specs, but I will tell you the Cravenspeed shifter is adjustable in height. What you see in the photo is the shifter set at the shorter range. You can make it taller by about 3-4 inches if you want.....

Old 09-05-2017, 02:22 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
The shifter feels like it undergoes a radical change, but in terms of height, it is actually only one inch lower!

If you are machining your own then the attached blueprint for the shaft may help. Open Source! (NAM only wants jpegs, so this is the best I have on short notice. Email me if I can help with anything else.)

Old 09-13-2017, 05:31 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by DevilsReject1011

If the CS short shifter is too short for you, you might consider a different shift **** in addition to the short shifter. This is my setup. CS adjustable short shifter, CS shifter retaining clip pro, and a S4S shift ****. This adds ~3" to the shifter height. I'm 6'4" and this is a perfect combination for me. YMMV

https://www.cravenspeed.com/adjustab...ifter-for-mini
https://www.cravenspeed.com/mini-shi...ning-clip-pro/
http://www.sneed4speed.com/mini-cooper-shift-****/

Attached Thumbnails Cravenspeed Adjustable Short Shifter-fullsizeoutput_321.jpeg  

Last edited by vetsvette; 09-13-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:39 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by gearhead60
Cravenspeed Shifter is installed. Warning! This install is not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced home mechanic. It took me and a friend approximately 5 hours to complete this install! I've worked on cars for over 30 years and have done everything from engines, clutches, brakes, struts, etc., but always deferred to others when doing interior or stereo installs.

I'm sure I didn't think of everything and welcome questions or comments!
I am replacing the shift **** on my F60, like I did on my F56. I hate the stock one. Two questions:

1) was the stock shift **** also glued at the retention ring, at the base of the ****, like they did as a recall action on the F56, or was it easy to remove?

2) My shift **** has illuminated numbers. I tapped the shift mode ring for power last time, but since they moved that switch to the dash in the 2018's, I'll have to find another nearby site to tap. Perhaps the iDrive controller? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:18 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Originally Posted by darex
I am replacing the shift **** on my F60, like I did on my F56. I hate the stock one. Two questions:

1) was the stock shift **** also glued at the retention ring, at the base of the ****, like they did as a recall action on the F56, or was it easy to remove?

2) My shift **** has illuminated numbers. I tapped the shift mode ring for power last time, but since they moved that switch to the dash in the 2018's, I'll have to find another nearby site to tap. Perhaps the iDrive controller? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
1) No glue, just held in by tabs. You have to pull up very hard and it will release.

2) Mine is not lighted....got nothing for you here...

Good Luck!

Old 02-08-2018, 11:08 PM
Sailingsumo
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeeze what did I just get myself into?! Ordered craven adjustable shifter and these install stories make it seem much more difficult than their online instructions. Wondering whether I can tackle this myself or if I should try and find a shop to do it....
Any thoughts? Has anyone else tried it with no prior interior experience?

Old 02-08-2018, 11:39 PM
vetsvette
I had mine installed by an independent Mini Tech. The most involved part I saw was removing the console to get access. If I still had the full use of both arms I wouldn't hesitate to try it. If you are feeling hesitant give Kellen a call at CravenSpeed. They're good guys and will do everything they can to help.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:33 AM
Sailingsumo
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I’m reading it looks like the install is easiest on the F56.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:43 AM
vetsvette
It is easier than the R56 because it's all done inside the cabin of the car. No need to work under it to access the cables and doesn't require another part to protect the connections to the cables.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:27 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
It is easier than the R56 because it's all done inside the cabin of the car. No need to work under it to access the cables and doesn't require another part to protect the connections to the cables.
I would definitely spring for the clip they sell. The original one, while well made was not durable at all. I went through 3 of them before I got the new style one which is rock solid.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:53 AM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am installing the Cravenspeed short throw shifter on my F56 this weekend. A quick question regarding the shifter housing bushings:

This is the bushing my car had, I assume it is original. Anyone know the advantage to replacing these with the stiff plastic ones provided by Cravenspeed? They seem to elliminate some slop in the housing, perhaps thats it?

Also, the shifter came with four washers. The Cravenspeed install instructions do not explain where these washers should go. I assume they go either above or below the replacement bushings. I see gearhead60 chose to place the washers directly below the flange head hex nut. Thats what I was planning on doing, but I wanted to make sure this is correct.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:35 PM
vetsvette
The CS bushings raise the pivot point enough so the bottom of the shifter doesn't touch the carpet/floor.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:51 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Originally Posted by vetsvette
The CS bushings raise the pivot point enough so the bottom of the shifter doesn't touch the carpet/floor.
That's right. On a Third Gen MINI like your Clubman, the bushings are required to allow you to shorten the shift.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:56 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool. Thanks guys! What about that washer? Above or below the bushing?

Old 05-25-2018, 01:31 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
We all just discussed it, and those washers are not necessary. Thanks for bringing it up.

You could use it between the flanged nut on the shifter housing after it is seated on the bushings, but there is really no need. We are going to remove the washers from now on, but we are going to add an extra one of these press washers instead:

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (05-25-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 05:31 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by CravenSpeed
If you are machining your own then the attached blueprint for the shaft may help. Open Source!
Just found this old thread. Craven, you have just jumped from “respectable, proven maker of useful parts” to “most awesomely great maker of useful parts”!

(I hesitate to add up what I’ve spent on Craven’s plate and phone mounts across four MINIs...)

Old 05-29-2018, 09:05 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Thanks for your support on the whole Open Source thing. We've still been really slow to take the necessary steps with each print to release it, so not many are posted yet. If anyone has a request, we can prioritize it.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:50 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
In other good news. The second version of our F54/55/56 Shift Well Cover is looking good.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:55 PM
vetsvette
Old 02-20-2021, 06:38 PM
jackiechuikei
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Cravenspeed F54 Short Shifter Adaptor

Hi all, i have a F54 All4S.
I’m in the process of installing a cravenspeed short shifter adaptor. After hours of work, I finally installed the adaptor on the bottom of the shifter, then I found out the cable is being way to low and rubbing the carpet, what worst is the cable is making contact of the side of the channel, avoiding me to get into reverse.
I have searched and doesn’t seems like anyone have this kind of problem with the adaptor, I made sure it sits at the bottom of the flange. I guess I could try to bore out the flange deeper, so that it will sits higher. Or go with the adjustable short shifter.
I will still need to verify why am I contacting the carpet and not be able to get into reverse.
Any comments would be appropriated!

Quick Reply: F54 Cravenspeed Adjustable Short Shifter