F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Kick Open?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 07:18 AM
Seedyman
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kick Open?

Does anyone know what model year the clubman first had the "kick open" feature for hands free opening the back doors? I have a 2017 as a loaner and think it's a cool feature.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:55 AM
OJ MINI
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Clubman has it from beginning, so MY2015, if you opt for it. In Europe it is part of the package called "convenience access"

Old 02-23-2017, 08:34 AM
Seedyman
2nd Gear
Well, I'm going to feel silly if I've had it on my 2009 all these years I've been juggling groceries.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:20 PM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Seedyman
Does anyone know what model year the clubman first had the "kick open" feature for hands free opening the back doors? I have a 2017 as a loaner and think it's a cool feature.
only the F54 Clubman have it

Old 02-26-2017, 11:38 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Only on the F54 Clubman (MY2016+) and only with Comfort Access

Old 02-26-2017, 11:47 AM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How does it work? Is there a button under the bumper or something?

Old 02-26-2017, 12:13 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Two motion sensors coupled with an antenna. Car detects proximity of key, sensors detect foot waving motion under the plate.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:42 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by 03mini-S
only the F54 Clubman have it
The new Countryman will have the same kick to open feature.....

Old 02-27-2017, 12:31 PM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Two motion sensors coupled with an antenna. Car detects proximity of key, sensors detect foot waving motion under the plate.
Huh... Interesting bit of tech. Sounds like something that will end up getting dirt or mud on it or breaking it in a way it will cost its owners a fistful of cash to fix. I'm dealing with a similar "issue" on my BMW convertible where the interlock between the trunk and tonneau thinks the tonneau is open, thus it won't allow me to access the trunk at all. The result is I'm going to both have to have the whole interlock replaced (by taking the tonneau off) and probably drilling into the trunk to get to the solenoid that disables the trunk lid opening to rearm.

This kind of technology where none is actually needed is a vexing one for me. "Let's see, we can help the owner avoid having to set down a bag of groceries and pulling on a handle by putting $1k worth of technology under the bumper that will probably fail sometime in year 5 of ownership. Sounds great!"

Old 02-27-2017, 12:55 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by dkdzyn
Huh... Interesting bit of tech. Sounds like something that will end up getting dirt or mud on it or breaking it in a way it will cost its owners a fistful of cash to fix. I'm dealing with a similar "issue" on my BMW convertible where the interlock between the trunk and tonneau thinks the tonneau is open, thus it won't allow me to access the trunk at all. The result is I'm going to both have to have the whole interlock replaced (by taking the tonneau off) and probably drilling into the trunk to get to the solenoid that disables the trunk lid opening to rearm.

This kind of technology where none is actually needed is a vexing one for me. "Let's see, we can help the owner avoid having to set down a bag of groceries and pulling on a handle by putting $1k worth of technology under the bumper that will probably fail sometime in year 5 of ownership. Sounds great!"
Also, it requires highly refined kicking technique to activate. We amuse ourselves frequently by betting on if we will place the required foot movement correctly with the first attempt. My wife enjoys speculating regarding how many attempts will be required for me to succeed in activating the feature. Might need to seek treatment for castration anxiety. Other than that, and the point you make about costly part failure, its a great feature. A feature that is available on much less expensive Fords as well.

Last edited by 2017All4; 02-27-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:29 PM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Also, it requires highly refined kicking technique to activate... (SNIP) Other than that, and the point you make about costly part failure, its a grest feature. A feature that is available on much less expensive Fords as well.
LOL, sounds like learning to play hacky sack under the bumper...

Really I sometimes feel a little like a Luddite on cars which is ironic because I was one of the most forward thinking car designers amongst my team mates when I worked in the industry in the late 80's and early 90's. I've always been an early adopter of technology and love each new haptic feedback feature or advancement in ergonomics for products, but on cars I am pretty traditional... maybe it comes from my fascination with racing where less is more. For instance, I HATE that there are laws against cell phones, but the interface for radios and air conditioning on modern cars is FAR less intuitive and more distracting than any handheld device. I also don't like flaky electric technology that works one moment and then fails catastrophically in an instant without warning and costs a fortune to replace, because there is no fixing it. It also has low recycle-ability... I enjoy my electric windows, but I sort of miss the manual ones in my old Civic Si from the 90's because it was so dead simple and light weight.

This feature on the surface sounds like it would be like being a Magician and feel pretty satisfying to use but then thinking about it further, especially because I either buy used cars or hold onto my cars a LONG time, it ticks all the NOPE boxes from reliability, cost, frustration, ability to self-diagnose, etc...

Old 02-27-2017, 02:24 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
LOL, sounds like learning to play hacky sack under the bumper...
I also don't like flaky electric technology that works one moment and then fails catastrophically in an instant without warning and costs a fortune to replace, because there is no fixing it. ... I either buy used cars or hold onto my cars a LONG time, it ticks all the NOPE boxes from reliability, cost, frustration, ability to self-diagnose, etc...
You'll appreciate these 2 quick 1980's-era Lucifer Electric Jaguar stories.
My wife's 1984 Jag, purchased near-new in 1988 from a dealer. My wife (correctly) diagnoses that the starter is getting ready to fail. Back to the dealer who replaces it. Same issue. On advice of a friend we visit an independent Jag/Rolls Royce garage with genuine British owner/mechanics. They put the car up on the hoist, remove the "new" dealer-replaced starter and examine it and, in droll British fashion say, "Well... lovely paint job on this bad rebuild..." The mechanic glances around and picks up a greasy starter sitting in the corner and bolts it into my wife's car and says we should give it a try for awhile. A few weeks later I returned to the shop to report all appeared to be well with the greasy salvaged starter. They seemed pleased but refused to accept any payment for the work or the part. It is now 2017, my wife is still driving that same Jag which was maintained by those mechanics until, literally, they died and closed shop.

Second story: On a Friday evening I go to gas up and top off fluids on my 1989 V-12 Jag prior to leaving the next day for a road trip. After gassing up I go to start the car. It cranks fine but won't catch. I call my trusted British mechanic who's office phone rings into his house after hours. He tells me to hold my cell phone "under the bonnet" and crank the car so he can hear it. Having done this with the assistance of a bemused gas station attendant, I ask my mechanic if he heard what he needed to hear. He instructs me to wait 10 minutes and then restart the car and drive it home and park it in the garage. He says to plan to have it towed to his shop on Monday as it won't start again after the one restart.

I wait 10 minutes, the car starts, I drive it home and park it in the garage. We take another car on the road trip. Monday, before I call the tow, I try to start the car. It doesn't start, as promised. When I arrive at the mechanic he has an electrical part ready. He pops it in, the car fires right up and less than $100 later I'm good to go.

Before I leave the shop I ask my mechanic how he knew what the problem was. He smiled and retorted, "Well, how do you know what you know?"

As long as we can find parts, those old Jags will keep doing their controlled seepage in our garage. After all, we all know that's the true best use for kitty litter!

Old 02-27-2017, 02:52 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear

The antenna system works the same as the rest of the Comfort Access system to detect the key - nothing new there, it has been around for over 10 years. The sensors measure capacities - mud or dirt will not affect them. The two sensors measure specific movement patterns between the two arrays so they are not falsely triggered by a cat or something. The activation area and movement required does require a bit of practice, but once you get it, it's not difficult to do on demand. The problem is, sales people don't seem to be educating owners properly (or they don't know themselves!). It's not a new technology in the industry and there are no moving parts so failure rate is low.

I can understand why self described "luddites" may not like new features, but I think some of that stems from just not understanding it or not knowing how it works or how to use it. I also believe that part of that problem is dealers not properly educating their customers, which is ironic because these new technologies get added to address customer complaints. I also understand that there are features that we personally wouldn't use, but I wouldn't go so far as to dismiss the technology altogether. If I had a penny for everyone that asks if MINIs have blind spot monitoring and lane departure warnings and getting confused why they don't....well...I'd have a lot of pennies. I think it's a useless feature, but people want it, who am I to judge? If MINI wants to make it standard, fine.

Sorry, as a tech guy, I don't get the hate for new stuff. Progress is a good thing!

Old 02-27-2017, 04:49 PM
Landspeeder
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I took delivery of a 2017 Clubman S All4 three days ago. So far I am very happy with my decision. Because I was trading in a Gen 3 hatchback, the sales advisor spent most of his time on the Clubman specific features. The first point he made was the proper way to find the 'sweet spot' to open the barn doors via a foot pass. Made me do it several times before he went to the rest of his check list. The last thing he covered was a review of the barn door procedure. Got it! I have discovered that there is the slightest delay in the tail lights flashing and the door popping open. Without any science to back this up I think it is to allow you to get both feet back on the ground and move back slightly as to not be in the way of the automatically swinging door. If you do not wait for the delay and continue to kick away at the car it seems to understand that you have no idea what you are doing and waits until you perform the drill correctly. Somewhat similar to banging on a keyboard expecting it to magically read your mind!

Old 02-27-2017, 06:14 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
I initially had issues trying to get my doors to open consistently. My salesman told me the trick was in the speed of the kick. I was too slow on my motion under the sensor. Once I sped it up, I never have it not work....go figure.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:09 PM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
I can understand the novelty of the kick open and am aware that it has actually been around for quite a while on other makes. I am also quite familiar with the sensor technology for its function, as I have been working with various kinds of automation assembly equipment for many years...it really is proven, stable technology.

But I do have to wonder if it is really 'better' than using your fob to pop open the doors?? I don't have the comfort option package on my car, so I just pop open the doors as I walk up to it and can actually trigger it from enough distance away that I don't have to stop and wait to dump my stuff in the back as the doors are open and ready before I get there. Now, there are the occasions when my hands might be too full to handle the fob, but that is a very, very rare event. I have even popped my doors from down the parking aisle a bit as someone is walking by and snickered a bit as they 'jump' a little...hey, I am easily amused! Just another viewpoint to toss in.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:40 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Yes, it's better. It's really nice never having to take your keys out of your pocket.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:36 AM
rfg123
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After some trial and error, it seems the best place to "kick" is right below the license plate. That said, I can't get it to work every time.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:59 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rfg123
After some trial and error, it seems the best place to "kick" is right below the license plate. That said, I can't get it to work every time.
Try increasing the speed of your kick. I found, I was too slow. Once I increased the speed of the motion, it seemed to work more consistantly.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:28 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
As I mentioned in a prior post, "highly refined kicking technique." Part of the joy of ownership.

Now, if we could just get those rear doors to close automatically....

Old 02-28-2017, 11:31 AM
zagman
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
My current ride has the "kick to open" feature and I have come to love it. It is wondering with full hands and two kids in two to not have to fish for a fob or reach for the hand actuator. It took some patience to learn the right move but I have it now.

I am looking forward to trying it on my F54 JCW, if and when I get a production date!

Old 02-28-2017, 02:05 PM
Seedyman
2nd Gear
I just ordered a JCW Clubman, and there wasn't any comfort access option.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:11 PM
zagman
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Seedyman: Do you have a production date for yours? I am still waiting for a date.

Comfort access is standard on the JCW F54. I just double checked my build and its there.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:18 PM
Seedyman
2nd Gear
Yeah, I thought I recalled seeing that. I just ordered mine over the weekend, so no dates yet. I guessing delivery will be in June though :(

Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by gearhead60
Try increasing the speed of your kick. I found, I was too slow. Once I increased the speed of the motion, it seemed to work more consistantly.
What can I say, I'm 4 for 4 since this thread explored the Zen of rear door activation and coached me on proper technique

Quick Reply: F54 Kick Open?