F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Can you add stock fog lights to 2017 Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 08:49 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Daveybeer30
So my wife has a 2017 Clubman all4 and when we purchased it the sales person said it had "fog lights". What she should have said is it has day time running lights...

That seems a little funny to me, so was hoping someone here had a suggestion.
Not giving legal advice here, but if you were told the car came with fog lights, even if it was an honest misstatement on the part of the salesperson, you are owed a car with fog lights, IMHO. The dealer needs to find a way to give you the fog lights you understood you were purchasing when you agreed to buy the car they sold you -- a car they told you came with fog lights.

Some of us remember W. Edwards Deming who liked to tell the story of purchasing a train ticket to Chicago. When he attempted to get on the Chicago train the conductor told him he had purchased the wrong ticket, to which Mr. Deming replied, "No, I purchased a ticket to Chicago. They sold me the wrong ticket, so I'm getting on this train." His point was that the only way to improve quality is to insist on holding those responsible for their mistakes.

Not suggesting anyone be an *** about this. Nor am I suggesting that the salesperson's statements regarding the fog lights were anything other than an honest error. HOWEVER, the error is theirs and it is theirs to correct.

If the dealer is not disputing that they misinformed you, then you are all in agreement as to what happened.

Now the next step is for them to own the consequence of this misinformation -- being you purchased a car you might not have purchased had you been correctly informed regarding its safety features.

The example I would use with the dealer and, if necessary, with the customer satisfaction people at MINIUSA, is, suppose you had been told the car you were purchasing had brakes and it came without brakes. Would the dealer really feel it was not their responsibility to provide you with a car with brakes? Let them tell you that's ridiculous and different and you can then ask them how, exactly is that different if the underlying principle is that you were sold something without a safety feature you were told was on the car you purchased.

I don't know how MINI fixes the issue, but I bet their engineers can figure out a way to deliver the car you were promised.

So, I wouldn't roll over on this one yet. I would remain polite and keep saying that you want to be reasonable. But I think, regardless of the honesty of their mistake, if they recognize their mistake, they need to fix it, whatever it takes. And asking you to pony up close to a thousand bucks for driving lights that change the look of your car, which means they are asking you to fix their mistake, would not be the option I would agree to just yet.

DISCLAIMER: I ain't giving no legal advice here, I'm just giving free advice which is probably only worth what I'm charging for it.

Last edited by 2017All4; 03-02-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:30 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
One more small point if I may:

It was obviously important enough for you to focus on fog lights when you were discussing the car's features with the salesperson. You need to remind the dealer that you made a point to inquire about the presence of fog lights before you agreed to purchase the car. Thus, the salesperson had the additional burden of giving you correct information in response to your query regarding a specific safety feature that was important for you to have on your car.

We know how car sales people roll. Customer satisfaction is not usually their first priority. But since they talk about it so much and are so focused on getting the money behind high CSI scores, let's make them walk the talk. Thankyouverymuch.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:37 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
New** We have Led front F56-F54 Ziza parking light bulbs now for the NON led lower fog/parking light MINIs. And some other LED kits. Those are for the inner parking lights, not the center upper drl halogen bulb right beside it. These come on when the headlights are on or when the parking lights are on. You can also code those if you want to stay on but it would require NCS expert and coding.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2017-Cooper-F54-Clubman_S-Coupe-B46A20A/Lighting/LED/

Front marker light leds

Glove box led

Reverse light kit: Clubman F54 only.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 03-09-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:41 PM
HZBJCW
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seems like you could salvage yard the fog lights from an S to get the oem look. plug in your drl. Go to an off road shop to take care of the harness and old school switch. Get the OEM look and function without braking the bank.

This issue with "DRL only" set up on the justa coopers with halogens has been that way since 2009, maybe earlier. . . and the wire harness excuse was accurate back then so I would believe them now too. There really is no easy way in the front. Does not hurt to pop the cover off and look however. On my 2009 in the rear I was able to add rear fogs after the fact after hearing a similar story. The wiring was tucked up inside the rear bumper. I used the stock connection to OEM rear fogs then to bypass the 125.00 reprogram fee I just ran a jumper wire from the rear fogs to the front fogs. To keep the electrical load down I used bright LEDs. Its as bright as the brake lights and has been reliable for 8 years without touching a thing.

Last edited by HZBJCW; 03-27-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:47 AM
ND40oz
3rd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
It looks like the dealer could retrofit the full fog lights though. At least looking through the parts catalog:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=63_1542

They'd need the fog lights for vehicles with fog lights but without LED headlamps parts 63177298331 and 63177298332.

Switch looks like it's part 61316824873.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_3283

It looks like the main wiring harness all has the same part numbers and they're made individually based on options. So they will need to figure out which single components they need when it comes to plugs and additional wires and wire that up for you, but they have part numbers for everything: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...i-Cooper&mg=61

Looks easy enough to make right for you though OP if the dealer is actually committed to doing so.