F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Adding a USB Port

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 04:01 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've the snapin adapter... Do you think it would be possibile to change it to a USB port? I find insulting paying another 250€ for the snapin adpater. (Now im using a 2nd hand iphone 5 snapin paid 35€ but i would like to put my iphone 7 in the armrest)

Old 02-06-2019, 02:18 AM
pw1114
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Nimrandir
I've the snapin adapter... Do you think it would be possibile to change it to a USB port? I find insulting paying another 250€ for the snapin adpater. (Now im using a 2nd hand iphone 5 snapin paid 35€ but i would like to put my iphone 7 in the armrest)
You just need to unplug the snap in adapter from the head unit and plug in the USB port into that spot.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:58 PM
bgdrewsif
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pw1114
Just in case, as an FYI, if after you plug in the HSD wire and USB port you find that your phone doesn't charge and it is not connecting, it is likely because the wire/USB port combo you purchased has the pin connections rotated 180 degrees, so you have to rotate the connection position at the USB port/HSD wire by 180 degrees from the default position... This was the case for me, which I'm guessing is because I purchased items meant for some other BMW model.
I just retrofitted the secret compartment and added a click and drive to the back of the instrument cluster this afternoon and hooked up the USB port on the click and drive to the back of the center instrument computer. I coded the system to recognize the second USB port and then could not get it to connect to my iPhone... I went back and did the same thing, sawed off a small clip with a steak knife and flipped the connector cable around 180 degrees and now it works perfectly! My USB port on my Click and Drive is now fully integrated to the car's computer system just like the USB port behind the gear shifter. YAY!

I should note that the head unit connection ports do appear different than what was pictured earlier.

The connecting cable i used to conncet my click and drive USB port to the vehicle's computer system. I purchased this cable off of ebay here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/glovebox-US...72.m2749.l2649

The connecting cable I used to connect my click and drive USB port to the vehicle's computer system. I had to cut off a small tab/clip on the green end that connected to the white USB port and then flip the green cable around 180 degrees for the connection from my phone to the vehicle to work. I then wrapped the green cable, white/black USB port, and the male end of the USB cable that leads to the click and drive USB port in electrical tape to prevent any of the connections from coming loose and detaching.

The head unit behind the center instrument screen. In my 2016 mini the available port is yellow in color and is labeled "USB2" directly in front of the yellow connection port

The head unit behind the center instrument screen. In my 2016 mini the available port is yellow in color and is labeled "USB2" directly in front of the yellow connection port

Last edited by bgdrewsif; 05-25-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:32 PM
ChazzGR
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,
Total newbie here with a 2016 F55 S. I am looking to do this modification (seems like it would make an awesome instructional thread) I have the Bimmer app and have used it only in the basic setting.
What is the process for doing the coding for this mod? A few of you have said it is easy but having never used the app to code in expert mode I don't know where to begin. Could someone lay out the steps for getting the center instrument to re-code to see the center console snap in adapter port as a second usb port? I have installed a USB cable as described in the thread above just need this next piece.

Last edited by ChazzGR; 06-04-2020 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:44 PM
bgdrewsif
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChazzGR
Hello,
Total newbie here with a 2016 F55 S. I am looking to do this modification (seems like it would make an awesome instructional thread) I have the Bimmer app and have used it only in the basic setting.
What is the process for doing the coding for this mod? A few of you have said it is easy but having never used the app to code in expert mode I don't know where to begin. Could someone lay out the steps for getting the center instrument to re-code to see the center console snap in adapter port as a second usb port? I have installed a USB cable as described in the tread above just need this next piece.
I will be happy to work on this over the weekend... I'm working all day Thursday and Friday and spending Saturday with my dad but Sunday afternoon I will go out to my car and try to take some screenshots with my iPad to better illustrate where to go in Bimmercode to change the coding. there is literally only one code that has to be changed [Code so that second USB port shows up on the list of external devices (for click and drive USB connection to head unit) CDMM_USB_AUDIO = all (0x03) ] but if you have not spent much time fiddling around with Bimmercode in Expert mode it can feel a bit overwhelming at first (especially since it is all in German!). But once you get the hang of it and do your research first it is really no so hard. I keep a text document that I save in the cloud with the lists of all the coding I have done or want to do and I write it all out in a format to guide myself through the process one code at a time before I start changing anything. Usually, I only change one or two codes at a time so that if I do foul something up or get an unexpected result that doesn't work right I can easily revert to the backup file to undo whatever it is I just did without having to troubleshoot and try to figure out where the problem is.

For example, from my coding cheat sheet this is what I have written down for changing the clock times to automatically update via the GPS navigation system: Automatic clock set by GPS:

In HU_NBT_EVO:
Under 3000 HMI, set CLOCK_CHANGE_AUTOMATIC and SETTINGS_TIME_AUTOMATIC to aktiv (default is nicht_active).
In KOMBI:
Under 3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration, set GPS_UHR to aktiv (default is nicht_active).

Once this is coded, if you go to the clock settings, you will be able to activate "automatic time setting". It may take a few minutes for the time to update.

I try to take what can sometimes be some obscure coding instructions and write them out for myself in step-by-step plain English.
The coding changes I have successfully done include adding the JCW sport displays to my head0up display in sport mode and adding the JCW lighting display to the center LED ring, set the navigation information in my head-up display provide more detailed distance information in guidance mode, enabled video in motion so that video files can be played on the center screen while the vehicle is moving (good for passengers on longer road trips but remember to keep your eyes on the road when driving!), Have my MINI always start in GREEN mode, Have the center instrument display both tire pressure AND TEMPERATURES for each tire under vehicle information, enabling the second USB connection to show up in the list of available connections, getting rid of the iDrive safety disclaimers from appearing on the screen at startup and when in reverse (so annoying!), changed the GONG sound from the awdful MINI sound to the much more pleasing and less jarring BMW sound (they also have Rolls Royce sounds available in the system but I thought it sounded a bit too pretentious...), my clock time is automatically updated by the GPS navigation system so I never have to manually adjust the time (nice for the dreaded daylight savings time changes or when driving from one time zone to another), activated my rear fog lights after installing a new lighting switch with the button for the fog lights, set my sunroof and windows to close with comfort access or key fob and automatically fold the side mirrors when locking the vehicle, and a few other minor things here and there...

Last edited by bgdrewsif; 06-03-2020 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:53 AM
MiniMe1999
Neutral
Possible on a non-nav head unit?

Hi, I have a ‘19 F56 with the basic audio (no navigation, no touchscreen, no HK). Does anyone know if the basic head unit has the port for the second USB?

Old 08-26-2020, 08:19 AM
Warren Davoile
Neutral
eBay link expired

Originally Posted by pw1114
I was able to add a second USB port.

Since most of us don't have the armrest snap in adapter, the port for that is open in the head unit. It's the BLUE one. You just need to buy the wire and the USB socket, and plug it into the open blue spot. You can see it without detaching the head unit, just take off the screen/center instrument from the dash. (I have visual boost, but it should be the same for Navigation XL. I don't know what the headhunits for the touchscreen with apple CarPlay looks like, might be the same?)

I bought something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-NBT-ret...72.m2749.l2649

Then you need to code so that Snap in adapter shows up on your list of external devices.

CDMM_USB_AUDIO = all (0x03)

It's up to you where you want to put the USB port, in the armrest, glovebox, wherever. It's pretty easy. Now I use the original USB port for my Sandisk micro memory stick for my saved Audio and Playlists, and I use the new USB port to charge my phone, and control Apple Music or Spotify or MINI Connected from the iDrive. You could also use another memory stick as well.

If you have the Click n Drive thingy behind the speedo, I would keep the second Usb port behind the dash and then send your charging/data cable to the steering column.

BLUE spot is where to plug in new wire

Now snap in adapter is in list of devices

great post and really useful, but the eBay link has expired, so I can’t workout what cable I need, can you help?