F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Power Folding Mirror Activation

Old 03-26-2017, 01:47 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by gearhead60
Perhaps on later production date Mini's (mine was Nov 10, 2016), the coding corrects them all.
Could very well be...

Old 03-27-2017, 06:48 AM
Carlisle
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd love an explanation for why power folding mirrors are not available for the Canadian market... if anyone knows a definitive answer.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:04 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Anyone try to see if this function:

can be done on US Mini's?

Old 03-27-2017, 01:19 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gearhead60
Anyone try to see if this function:

can be done on US Mini's?
Only on the F60 with the power tailgate. No other MINI has the physical capability.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:29 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Only on the F60 with the power tailgate. No other MINI has the physical capability.
I suspected as much, but was curious if anyone saw this....

Old 03-27-2017, 01:55 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
You find a lot of stuff like that while coding and it usually refers to BMW features that don't connect to anything on a MINI. The opposite is also true. Keep in mind the software is made to work with multiple BMW/MINI models - it is not unique per model. Makes for some interesting experimentation though!

Old 03-31-2017, 05:39 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero

There is a way to turn off active sound via coding in ESYS, but I'm not sure if the Carly app has it.
Got an update to Carly this morning. It has added the option to turn off the Active Sound which I did. Initial impression is that I can now hear the true sound of the engine and some other sounds. It definitely has some sound canceling abilities that you lose when turning it off. Around town, I like the real sound, but for a long road trip, it might be worth it to turn it back on.

Interestingly enough, it makes for rowing through the gears easier for me, especially as you near redline. I don't typically shift by watching the tach, I do it by feel and sound. After turning off the active sound, it made me realize that the piped in sound was too artificial to sense the shift point. This might sound crazy to some, but I've been doing this for 40 some years.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:22 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Gearhead: How does the Carly app update? I went to itunes and there was no update indicated. Is it automatic?

Old 03-31-2017, 08:44 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Gearhead: How does the Carly app update? I went to itunes and there was no update indicated. Is it automatic?
On your phone, you go to the App Store. Once the app is open, in the lower right corner of the screen, you will see "Updates". Hit this icon and it will show you your apps that need updating. Hit update all, or just the one you want to update. Carly should show up here.....

Old 03-31-2017, 08:56 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Thanks Gearhead. I did your steps and Carly showed up and updated. Very weird that an hour ago it didn't show up on updates. Clearly you have the magic to make itunes work!

Of maybe it just takes the pony express longer to get the updates out here to the Left Coast.

Thanks again.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:58 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
I'm assuming we will need to re-do our coding mods after the brake light re-coding recall.

Anyone done the brake light recall yet?

Old 03-31-2017, 10:06 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
I'm assuming we will need to re-do our coding mods after the brake light re-coding recall.
2017All4, I was thinking the same thing about the brake light recall....dammit!

Old 04-05-2017, 08:33 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Did a little informal testing today.

It APPEARS that the digital speedo readout AND the digital cruise control readout BOTH have adjusted using Carly. The two digital readouts were in sync.

The main analog speedo still reads slightly higher than the digital readouts, HOWEVER, and this may just be wishful thinking on my part, it APPEARS that the analog needle is reading closer to the digital. But it varies, anywhere from 1 to 3 MPH difference, and it is not in lock step. At 45MPH it appeared to be about 1MPH difference, at 60, AND at 30, it was closer to 3 MPH difference.... I think.

I'm going to keep observing until I hit a tree or rear end someone because my eyes are glued to my gauges.

We get our thrills where we can.

But the mirrors are still folding and unfolding, so life is good.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:10 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Did a little informal testing today.

I'm going to keep observing until I hit a tree or rear end someone because my eyes are glued to my gauges.

We get our thrills where we can.

But the mirrors are still folding and unfolding, so life is good.
2017All4, please don't hit a tree as you keep us entertained..

I also did some testing. I turned off the Active Sound. While I like the real sound of the engine, it was not enough of a aural inprovement to negate the added road noise. I turned it back on as there is definitely sound canceling at work with the Active Sound.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:07 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Folding update for all my fellow OCD Carly Coders.

I modified the mirror fold timing to a shorter delay. It's cool because I can lock with the fob or the door button and keep the mirrors unfolded if I wish, or continue holding the button down for an additional half a second and the mirrors will fold. But the crisis I am now facing is that if I have the sunroof open in the vent position, which is nice in the warm weather, and I hold down the lock button long enough to trigger the mirror fold, it also activates the sunroof part of global closing and, if in the vent position, thus activated, the sunroof closes tight.

If I set the fold function to instant activation when locking, the sunroof in vent mode can remain open.

I intend to obsess over this difficult choice until summer. Fold but no vent/fold preserving vent but loss of ability to lock without fold. What would Brian Boitano do?? (He'd make a plan and follow through, according to South Park lore)

Meanwhile, I SWEAR the analog speedo, while still reading faster than both the re-coded digital speed displays, reads a little less fast than before coding.(BTW, both cruise digital and main digital read the same). So I guess I'll need to carefully note the exact amount over the digital that the analog reads, uncode it, and see if there is a difference. Or not.

But it's all cool because all the dollar bills in my wallet are facing the same way so I am still protected from any evil. Right?

Old 07-07-2017, 10:59 AM
miniluvrF54
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey everyone, bringing back up an old thread and hoping someone can give some guidance.

I local MINI driver here has both Carly and Esys and I just got back from attempting to code my mirrors to fold when I lock and unfold when I unlock.

We started by using Carly since it's easier to work with. Carly seemed to work just fine with the car and we actually attempted to program the function to have the mirrors auto unfold at 6mph instead of the standard 25mph. When we did this it wouldn't let us do the fold/unfold functions until we did the car re-start, so we proceeded with that (we didn't test if it actually worked though).

We then went back into Carly and proceeded to set the "Comfort Closing delay (mirrors) to 0.5s

Comfort folding for sideview mirrors to active

Unfold mirrors after comfort close to active

We did the shut down and restart etc and tried it out and nothing. Tried to reset just one of the functions to see if it would take and still nothing. We had no luck with Carly.

So we tried Esys and ran with the following code that we found which also is supposed to close the windows as well with the lock function (we couldn't find more info in short order on which functions were just for the mirror fold/unfold):

3056 -> KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB = aktiv 00 (Comfort Access ONLY)
3056 -> KOMFORT_SCHLIESSEN  WERTE = 00 (Mirror Fold Delay = 0 sec delay)
3110 -> ASP_BEIKLAPPEN = aktiv (werte=01)
3110 -> ASP_BEIKLAPPEN_BEI_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN = (werte=01)
3110 -> ASP_AUSKLAPPEN_NACH_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN = (werte=01)

We applied the changes and voila, it seemed to work except that when I lock the car the mirrors start to fold and the car alarm immediately starts going off :( In short we had to reset everything back to normal. We ran out of time for the day and so I'm back and with no changes. To boot we accidentally disable my mirror fold function somehow in esys and now I can't fold my mirrors at all which I'll have to get reset.

Any thoughts? Anyone have these issues with Carly or did we do something wrong that appears obvious???

Old 07-09-2017, 11:36 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by miniluvrF54
Hey everyone, bringing back up an old thread and hoping someone can give some guidance.

I local MINI driver here has both Carly and Esys and I just got back from attempting to code my mirrors to fold when I lock and unfold when I unlock.

We started by using Carly since it's easier to work with. Carly seemed to work just fine with the car and we actually attempted to program the function to have the mirrors auto unfold at 6mph instead of the standard 25mph. When we did this it wouldn't let us do the fold/unfold functions until we did the car re-start, so we proceeded with that (we didn't test if it actually worked though).

We then went back into Carly and proceeded to set the "Comfort Closing delay (mirrors) to 0.5s

Comfort folding for sideview mirrors to active

Unfold mirrors after comfort close to active

We did the shut down and restart etc and tried it out and nothing. Tried to reset just one of the functions to see if it would take and still nothing. We had no luck with Carly.

So we tried Esys and ran with the following code that we found which also is supposed to close the windows as well with the lock function (we couldn't find more info in short order on which functions were just for the mirror fold/unfold):

3056 -> KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB = aktiv 00 (Comfort Access ONLY)
3056 -> KOMFORT_SCHLIESSEN  WERTE = 00 (Mirror Fold Delay = 0 sec delay)
3110 -> ASP_BEIKLAPPEN = aktiv (werte=01)
3110 -> ASP_BEIKLAPPEN_BEI_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN = (werte=01)
3110 -> ASP_AUSKLAPPEN_NACH_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN = (werte=01)

We applied the changes and voila, it seemed to work except that when I lock the car the mirrors start to fold and the car alarm immediately starts going off :( In short we had to reset everything back to normal. We ran out of time for the day and so I'm back and with no changes. To boot we accidentally disable my mirror fold function somehow in esys and now I can't fold my mirrors at all which I'll have to get reset.

Any thoughts? Anyone have these issues with Carly or did we do something wrong that appears obvious???
I went back and looked at what I believe I did on the mirror folding.

I did not mess with the speed at which the mirrors automatically unfold.

I only enabled fold/unfold from the fob and from the comfort open/close button on the door handles.

I programmed a slight delay so I can lock the doors without activating mirror fold.

I have no idea who the alarm issue worked it's way into your situation.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to restore to all original settings, then, using Carly, only do one thing -- like adjust the auto unfold delay. See if you can get that one thing to work, then go on to the next thing, after completing the Carly programming sequence steps, then disconnecting CARLY, then starting the car and driving with the one thing done.

I suspect you did a series of things that were in conflict with one another or created the conflict when the car tried to update.

Good luck.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:09 PM
miniluvrF54
2nd Gear
You're always to the rescue 2017All4!

I got myself a Carly adapter yesterday and restored my coding which made my power folding mirrors work again (whew).

I then programmed the mirror fold again using Carly and I finally got it to work. I've got a few additional questions though. My mirrors will only fold if I lock the car from the button on the door handle so it seems the "Comfort closing" of the mirrors is quite literal in that it only works if using the Comfort Access button. Clicking the lock button on the remote will not fold my mirrors. I will note that the mirrors will unfold regardless of whether I use the key fob or comfort access door button.

I do need to attempt to re-code the delay on the mirror folding. I set it to 0 seconds, but I noticed that I do have to hold my Comfort access button just a hair longer than a quick press for them to fold, so perhaps that part didn't code correctly.

The good news is that I can get them to fold with the comfort access button, unfold on unlock, and it doesn't set off the car alarm!

Old 07-10-2017, 08:04 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
You're always to the rescue 2017All4!

I got myself a Carly adapter yesterday and restored my coding which made my power folding mirrors work again (whew).

I then programmed the mirror fold again using Carly and I finally got it to work. I've got a few additional questions though. My mirrors will only fold if I lock the car from the button on the door handle so it seems the "Comfort closing" of the mirrors is quite literal in that it only works if using the Comfort Access button. Clicking the lock button on the remote will not fold my mirrors. I will note that the mirrors will unfold regardless of whether I use the key fob or comfort access door button.

I do need to attempt to re-code the delay on the mirror folding. I set it to 0 seconds, but I noticed that I do have to hold my Comfort access button just a hair longer than a quick press for them to fold, so perhaps that part didn't code correctly.

The good news is that I can get them to fold with the comfort access button, unfold on unlock, and it doesn't set off the car alarm!
Glad to hear your restoration was successful and you got some initial Carly coding of the mirrors to work with the door button.

I just tested my fob -- the system locks and arms and the mirrors fold in with the lock button on the fob and the mirrors unfold and the car unlocks and the welcome lights go on with the fob unlock button.

What I don't remember is if there was an additional Carly coding step to get the fob to do the mirrors. Might be, but I can't recall.

Also, I recall you tried doing some coding not using Carly, which makes me wonder if there's something tweaked there. Don't know how you can check other than to go in with your computer and look at whatever settings you changed to confirm they all got changed back.

And, as you've learned, Carly really needs the Carly adapter to work right. Pricey, but, in the end, worth it, I think.

But I can confirm that it is possible to have the mirrors fold and unfold from the key fob. Just did it to prove it to myself.

BTW, I'm using the half second delay on the fold function so I can keep the windows and sunroof from closing -- it took some practice but if I hold the door button just long enough, the mirrors fold but the sunroof doesn't close -- if I hold the button a nanno second too long, the sunroof starts to close. Tricky business, but it gives me the cheap thrills I'm seeking when it works right.

Don't give up!! You'll get it nailed.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:10 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Oh, and MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW CARLY INSTRUCTIONS regarding turning the car on and off -- the sequence must be obeyed!! Very German, and very tedious.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:45 PM
miniluvrF54
2nd Gear
I played with the settings again on Carly and I did determine that the "Comfort Close Using Remote" setting needs to be set to "Active" for the mirror closing to occur with the key fob. Without that set to active it will only close them using the comfort access button on the door.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:55 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
I played with the settings again on Carly and I did determine that the "Comfort Close Using Remote" setting needs to be set to "Active" for the mirror closing to occur with the key fob. Without that set to active it will only close them using the comfort access button on the door.
Looks like you're getting it worked out.

With the half second delay, with either the fob or the door button, the mirrors will fold after locking an alarm arming. I did have the vague memory of a separate step to get the fob to do it -- which you have now confirmed. Well done!!

But it's only cool to use it if you can convince some sympathetic person to watch you do it and ohh and ahh in appreciation. My experience has been that there are, sadly, only a few true connoisseurs who can fully appreciate the nuanced subtlety and finesse involved in the proper use of this excellent feature. So, mostly, I simply entertain myself. The thrill has yet to wear off

Next, you need to perfect the gearhead60 swift kick technique for rear door opening which others before me mastered and teach. Another whole set of thrills await.

The following users liked this post:
gearhead60 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 08:05 AM
xentar
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Carlisle
I'd love an explanation for why power folding mirrors are not available for the Canadian market... if anyone knows a definitive answer.

+1 on this.. was really disappointed when I found out that power folding mirrors are not available here in Canada... :(

also, does anyone knows if it is possible to code the automatic curb monitor even if our cars doesn't have the power folding feature?

Old 07-14-2017, 09:15 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by xentar
+1 on this.. was really disappointed when I found out that power folding mirrors are not available here in Canada... :(

also, does anyone knows if it is possible to code the automatic curb monitor even if our cars doesn't have the power folding feature?
Just for clarification, on Canadian cars, is there not a little button on the driver's side door armrest that, when pressed, fold/unfolds the mirrors?

Not at all familiar with different parts on Canadian spec cars, but if you have power mirror adjustment, then, using Carly, you can go in and see if the different 'dip' levels are listed -- on US spec cars with power mirror adjustment, the depth of mirror dip when the car is placed in reverse is adjustable with Carly.

Also, I assume you have gone into the car's settings menu and have confirmed that the curb dip feature cannot be activated within the user-adjustable idrive menus.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:31 AM
xentar
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Just for clarification, on Canadian cars, is there not a little button on the driver's side door armrest that, when pressed, fold/unfolds the mirrors?

Not at all familiar with different parts on Canadian spec cars, but if you have power mirror adjustment, then, using Carly, you can go in and see if the different 'dip' levels are listed -- on US spec cars with power mirror adjustment, the depth of mirror dip when the car is placed in reverse is adjustable with Carly.

Also, I assume you have gone into the car's settings menu and have confirmed that the curb dip feature cannot be activated within the user-adjustable idrive menus.

Nope, our cars doesn't have that button on the driver's side door armrest and yes the auto curb monitor option is nowhere to be found from the I-drive menu.

I was just thinking that since the mirrors can be tilted/adjusted electronically, perhaps it's just a matter of enabling that feature thru coding. Hope someone in this forum can confirm this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F54 Power Folding Mirror Activation