North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Electrical (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical-127/)
-   -   Electrical Reset "Service engine soon", how??? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/97385-reset-service-engine-soon-how.html)

Sorensen 04-07-2007 04:41 AM

Reset "Service engine soon", how???

How do I reset the " service engine soon" lamp in my Cooper S, year 8/2005.

#20Works4me 04-07-2007 04:53 AM

This is for the ECU reset but I believe it's the same thing, but I haven't had to try it yet:

"[FONT=Verdana]Hold in your odometer reset button and at the same time turn your key so that the radio comes on

Release the odometer button and then press it repeatedly until it shows the #19

Stop at 19 and the display will go back and forth between "test" and "off"
Push the button when it is on off and the press it repeatedly until you get to #21

It will display an option to reset. Press the button and your displays will go blank and your guages will flutter and then the displays will come back on

Turn off the key and then your done" - taken from a previous post here on the NAM

[/FONT]

NMgokart 04-07-2007 05:13 AM

Sorry Ovrezee, but that won't work.
You'll need an OBD II code reader to see what caused the SES to come on, then use the same tool to reset and clear codes. If you are near an AutoZone (not in CA), they do this free of charge.
HTH.

SpiderX 04-07-2007 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by 3cocinas (Post 1464057)
Sorry Ovrezee, but that won't work.
You'll need an OBD II code reader to see what caused the SES to come on, then use the same tool to reset and clear codes. If you are near an AutoZone (not in CA), they do this free of charge.
HTH.

+1..... they are cheap enough..... I suggest you buy one ..... the OBDll input is near your left knee under the dash..... read the owners manual...that should do it

#20Works4me 04-07-2007 05:41 AM

My bad, sorry about that, that's what I get for trying to help someone while working nightshift, only slept 3 hours in the last 36. I was mistaking his trouble the for one that comes up on the speedo when you initially start the car ( mileage countdown to inspection???) Man I'm tired.

BTW I have a Genscan 400 OBDII which works really well. cheers

BTBTW SpiderX when is the production model of your M62 coming out? still happy with the power? I'm considering turbo?

SpiderX 04-07-2007 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ovrezee (Post 1464080)
My bad, sorry about that, that's what I get for trying to help someone while working nightshift, only slept 3 hours in the last 36. I was mistaking his trouble the for one that comes up on the speedo when you initially start the car ( mileage countdown to inspection???) Man I'm tired.

BTW I have a Genscan 400 OBDII which works really well. cheers

BTBTW SpiderX when is the production model of your M62 coming out? still happy with the power? I'm considering turbo?

PM sent

wobobo 06-30-2009 03:45 PM

Had this problem you can clear it if it is a "virtual" problem but just starting your car quickly before the inspection sequence finishes. My "EP" error cleared back to normal, as it was not a real issue cause I was not driving when I caused it fiddling with the electricals. :wink: