Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Palo Uber 'PATENT INFRINGEMENT'?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 08:06 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what's next? Palo Uber - the TeePee?

Old 03-29-2007, 08:32 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Psychology is a funny thing. People have an ingrained desire to reinforce the decisions they make, whether they be good or bad. It is called cognative dissonance. Responses to this can be evidenced through denial, lies and blatant overexagerations.

There were quite a few studies on this which are rather interesting. If you have a while, you can read about them here.

Hopefully this will help you gain some perspective on yourself.....
Originally Posted by Passat774
You guys just make me

I will just keep enjoying there products and you can keep trying to figure out why.. until maybe one day you buy something from them

Old 03-30-2007, 05:10 AM
defylogik
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
Paulo Uber threads are like herpes... You get rid of them on one place and they crop up again elsewhere almost instantaneously.

Or is that "like dandilions"? I can never remember.

:: smiles at the Google hits that will now come up from "Paulo Uber AND herpes AND dandlions".

::: waiting for a MOD to axe this thread too :::
what IS worse? herpes or dandalions? both will make you unpopular in your neighborhood. talk amongst yourselves.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:31 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dandilions blow.

Moving on...

Old 03-30-2007, 07:57 AM
Aeromax
5th Gear
Originally Posted by riquiscott
Well, it's been six weeks now - how are you enjoying your titanium pulley? You promised details about the installation - any pictures?
Someone actually bought that !@#$% waste of alloy? Might as well have thrown $670 down the toilet, and spent the rest on a Alta pulley...

Old 03-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I PMed some specific questions..

we'll see if I get any answers, either by PM or in the vendor announcemnts section (and reading that is a chore. It's like crappy homework I used to grade. Incomplete answers to unstated questions!)

Matt

Old 03-30-2007, 08:08 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Aeromax
Someone actually bought that !@#$% waste of alloy? Might as well have thrown $670 down the toilet, and spent the rest on a Alta pulley...
Come on now... nobody (that I know of anyway) is challenging the actual QUALITY of his items - as far as I've heard everyone that's installed a "Paulo Uber" product was happy with the fit, finish and performance of their item. If the buyer's happy then the extra money was well spent - there's no need to bash one of their customers or any other fellow NAMer.

What the LARGER issue is is simple: "Are PU products actually OTHER manufacturer's products rebadged as his own?" Sounds like, to me, that answer's "yes".

As fun as PU bashing is, I think I'm done with these threads. They're just such a HUGE drag. Kudos to the NAMers out there that are always looking out for us and are trying to keep the vendors honest (almost all of them are in my experience, but there's always a few bad apples in any barrel).

Old 03-30-2007, 08:26 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys need to back off Passat774 (Disclaimer: I am in no way connected with passat774 despite a similar username).

The guy got what he wanted, from a vendor he likes, for a price that was acceptable to him. Stop telling him he's wrong, he's retarded and that his opinion doesn't count.

You sound like an idiot going "your opinion doesn't count unless you see it our way". Are you that daft? I'm no Palu Uber defender as I know nothing about their stuff but if he's satisfied with the products and service he received you have no business telling him he's wrong. It's SUBJECTIVE!

Any thing that can be sold is worth whatever the buyer deems acceptable. If you were to buy a pulley for a thousand dollars (and its only "worth" $100) but it made you happy and you had no problem shelling out the dough, how is that wrong?

If you wish to continue to bash PU, by all means feel free. But stop trying to tear down someone else who was satisfied with the products, price and service he received.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:36 AM
SpunkytheTuna
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PassatDoTd
If you wish to continue to bash PU, by all means feel free. But stop trying to tear down someone else who was satisfied with the products, price and service he received.
You know you're going to take all the sport out of this if you go around being reasonable like that.

By the by, there's actually some important UberNews just around the corner.

Wait for it....

Old 03-30-2007, 08:36 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well..

I guess the polite thing to say when someone buys a piece of gum for $10 is "I hope you like your gum!"

Matt

ps, I'm interested to see what actually is patented in the PU light bar....

Old 03-30-2007, 09:55 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Enough bashing, I've started a new thread to CELEBRATE Palo Uber the artist: Palo Uber, legendary artist

Please post your contributions to the thread. Here's my initial post:
Originally Posted by rkw
This thread is for the discussion of Palo Uber the artist. This is in the off-topic section because it is NOT intended for discussion of the Palo Uber London MINI Company, purveyors of the world's finest MINI Cooper accessories.

Palo Uber, "considered to be one of the greatest living abstract expressionists", humbly describes himself as an obscure artist on his home page. I think he chooses to remain obscure, because his biography has many gaps and missing details. But not to worry, using the collective knowledge of the Internet, we can fill in all the facts about our favorite artist.

Here are just a few things I've wondered about. If anybody has information please post what you know.
  • His biography says he was born in 1951, which makes him 56. Is he balding and overweight, or a skinny starving artist?
  • What MINI does he drive? I think a proper artist would drive a MINI One. What color do you think?
  • Does he have a spouse, partner(s), kids? Gay, straight, bi, transgendered?
  • Which college did he attend in the USA? That would have been in the 70's. Was he caught up in the disco craze? Did he party in Florida during spring break?
Please post any facts you know, and it would be appreciated by all. Also post any questions you have and I'm sure someone will have an answer.

Please also post about any sightings or personal encounters you've had with Palo Uber. I'll start. I think I saw him once at a supermarket. He was in the express checkout line and had 25 items in his cart.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Thanks, to all the guys with the words of support.

Palo Uber is a customer service friendly company, they take very good care of repeat customers. So, you may think from the outside man that is way overpriced and maybe it is. But, you will never understand how good they take of the guys that buy from them

Old 03-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
What the LARGER issue is is simple: "Are PU products actually OTHER manufacturer's products rebadged as his own?" Sounds like, to me, that answer's "yes".
This is not the issue - there is nothing wrong with outsourcing, whitelabelling, ect...... The issue is their marketing program - how and what they say. The PU brand/image is PU the artist and implies that PU has a hand in the design. That is what is unique about PU products and a premium is sought. One thing is to design something and send it out to be manufactured BUT where is the PU design in the rims? the body kit? In the pulley?

Where is the PU in the above?

Slapping a center cap w/ PU on it is not designing. Slapping PU on a pre existing body kit is not desiging and selecting a different metal is just a drop of PU.

As I posted earlier NAM provides information and the informed are only going to allow so much BS. Here at NAM vendors and members are called out on a regular basis if liberties are taken.

PU needs to understand we are not stupid. What has set so many off here on NAM regarding PU is their disdain for our intelligence.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:15 PM
A/V Guru
1st Gear
Passat774 You Rock! I guess that all of the people criticizing your purchases bought their wives aluminum and glass engagement rings. I also find value in customer service. A great experience at a restaurant can more than make up for mediocre food. I hope everybody here greatly enjoys his or her Mini’s that is what this site is about. If any one ever catches me bashing someone for their taste........ Please point out to me how silly it is. It's like telling someone his or her baby is ugly. Benefits no one.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:28 PM
ca$per
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
This is not the issue - there is nothing wrong with outsourcing, whitelabelling, ect...... The issue is their marketing program - how and what they say. The PU brand/image is PU the artist and implies that PU has a hand in the design. That is what is unique about PU products and a premium is sought. One thing is to design something and send it out to be manufactured BUT where is the PU design in the rims? the body kit? In the pulley?

Slapping a center cap w/ PU on it is not designing. Slapping PU on a pre existing body kit is not desiging and selecting a different metal is just a drop of PU.

As I posted earlier NAM provides information and the informed are only going to allow so much BS. Here at NAM vendors and members are called out on a regular basis if liberties are taken.

PU needs to understand we are not stupid. What has set so many off here on NAM regarding PU is their disdain for our intelligence.

+1

Old 03-30-2007, 04:33 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by A/V Guru
I guess that all of the people criticizing your purchases bought their wives aluminum and glass engagement rings.
not quite, but I didn't go to Tiffany for the perceived 'brand cache' either.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:56 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear

Sorry - that's what I MEANT when I said "selling these as his own". I wasn't clear.

Obviously many people use pre-fab or rebadged componants in their designs on NAM and elsewhere - but nobody I've ever seen (at least in the MINI community) is as brazen as the Uber-meister seems to be about claiming "genius" where there seems to merely be "middle-manning".

Old 03-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
but nobody I've ever seen (at least in the MINI community) is as brazen as the Uber-meister seems to be about claiming "genius" where there seems to merely be "middle-manning".
Exactly

Personally I LOVE PU. From a marketing perspective, their vendor/product announcements give me a stiffie . PU the artist, does he even exist? I hope not because that would be the ultimate marketing coup. The fact that the artist myth allows them to charge premium prices is SWEET .

I don't know who put this advertising/PR package together but I would like you to come work for me in the Bahamas. The only thing I have seen better lately is the Gieco Caveman.

The trueth here is PU is trying to rapidly build its product portfolio and got sloppy on the rims and body kit. They will be more careful next time.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Dandilions blow.

Moving on...
Dandilions don't blow, People blow!

Old 03-30-2007, 06:57 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The trueth here is PU is trying to rapidly build its product portfolio and got sloppy on the rims and body kit. They will be more careful next time.
And their lug wrench, and their suspension kit, and who knows what else they're re-badging and falsely presenting as their own design.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by riquiscott
And their lug wrench, and their suspension kit, and who knows what else they're re-badging and falsely presenting as their own design.
One thing we do know for sure PU has BIG *****

Old 03-31-2007, 09:14 PM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Originally Posted by Bilbo-Baggins
Dandilions don't blow, People blow!

Dandelions get blown!

Old 03-31-2007, 10:59 PM
defylogik
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
not quite, but I didn't go to Tiffany for the perceived 'brand cache' either.
do not under estimate the power of the baby blue box! if they JUST sold the box for 20 dollars they would triple their profits.

lot of good points. BUT BUT BUT, i just received previously said h&r coilover kit in the mail, and guess who makes the h&r struts?? billstein. h&r adds their springs for the package. makes me fell a hell of a lot better about both companies, hr and uber. not really its still a rebadged h&r kit, and h&r rebadged the billstein as their own.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:33 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by A/V Guru
Passat774 You Rock! I guess that all of the people criticizing your purchases bought their wives aluminum and glass engagement rings. I also find value in customer service. A great experience at a restaurant can more than make up for mediocre food. I hope everybody here greatly enjoys his or her Mini’s that is what this site is about. If any one ever catches me bashing someone for their taste........ Please point out to me how silly it is. It's like telling someone his or her baby is ugly. Benefits no one.
The issue is people who spend thousands on alluminum and glass and, because they spent that, insist they are platinum and diamonds. If you want to pay diamond prices for glass, good for you. But those who don't should be informed of the truth.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:40 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Just in case you didn't get what I am saying above, if some one wants to pay $500 for a fake Rolex that is actually a Seiko, that's great. But the seller shouldn't claim it IS a Rolex. Seiko's are great, and they are worth $100. But don't paste a Rolex badge on one and tell me it's a Rolex.

Quick Reply: Electrical Palo Uber 'PATENT INFRINGEMENT'?