Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Palo Uber 'PATENT INFRINGEMENT'?

Old 03-29-2007, 12:11 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PGT
the point is PU claims they originally designed the products and went so far as to patent them. As for' driving by the PU store' - that's quite literally impossible.
Speaking of patents, do any of the PU parts or the accompanying instructions/documentation have patent numbers on them? Both the US and UK patent offices have quite-sophisticated online search engines, and while neither one returns any hits for patents granted to any company with "Palo Uber" anywhere in the name, I realize that many patent applications are filed under an individual's name, rather than a corporation's.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"looks like" doesn't hold much weight in a patent suit. A different color paint can allow an identical item to avoid patent infringement. Unless the plaintiff can demonstrate some technology or significant architectural patented process or design was infringed upon, they don't have a chance. Since alloy spoked wheels have been around a long time, Uber should put it's efforts into besting, rather than eliminating, its competition.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riquiscott
Except that if PU is falsely claiming to be the designer and exclusive source for parts that they are in fact rebadging, then they are doing a disservice to potential buyers by giving the impression that there are no alternative vendors for the parts.

In the case of other manufacturers such as M7 or Alta, there are a multitude of vendors re-selling their parts, but those resellers make no claims to be the original designers or to be the exclusive sole source for the products. A simple Google search for "M7" or "Alta Mini" will reveal those other vendors.

I'd like to think that the discussion (that has currently been made unavailable pending review) was serving to educate potential buyers as to the company that they'd be dealing with.
I don't disagree w/ your sentiments. Do I find their adverts over the top - absolutely yes. Is this Board providing information to the community - yes.
have I bought any PU products - NO Why? because of this board.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:08 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Since alloy spoked wheels have been around a long time, Uber should put it's efforts into besting, rather than eliminating, its competition.
Especially since all the available evidence indicates that it's Palo Uber that's doing the infringing, not the other way around.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:32 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chipgrafx
Please, please, please can we try to keep this about the questions I posted?

Right now I honestly don't want to hear about who has what parts on their car, what the artwork looks like, where it hangs or who works at or runs this company. I would just like to hear about the 'patent infringement' that has occured. Simple as that.
I'd hazard to guess that you never will - this "vendor" (and I use the term loosely) seems to have quite a track record of not answering direct questions, representing rebadged products as "custom work" built "at our facility in birmingham england" (SIC) or somesuch bullshite and otherwise hyping products that are vaporware at best to outright rebadged product at worse.

Honestly, at this point I'd never buy a freaking Big Mac from Paulo Uber if he were the last counter worker at the last McDonald's on Earth... it would probably be a month-old Burger King Whopper in a Big Mac box with his logo slapped on the bun. And it would cost $300 freaking dollars.

Of course, I may be wrong and if I am, well, you shouldn't have listened to me in the first place. All I know is that this artist's main "talents" seem to be in mangling the English language and a singular ability to play the shell game ("Where da ball? Where da ball? Find da ball and win twenty dollah!") with their customers.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
I am wondering what is the true purpose of yet another Palo Uber Thread?

Yes, I have there products. The light bar is awesome and the little wing is really a nice small addition to our OE wing. There customer service is very good and I have never had an issue with any of the parts.

I guess, I just need to have someone explain why these guys are so awful?

Some feel a little upset about there wheel purchase. Yet, I must ask how do you honestly, think a small company like Palo Uber had the ability to make so many wheels? And then why did you buy from them? Was it there ability to show how cool the Mini would look with all the pictures on there website? Should there not be some additional value for what they were able to do?

Old 03-29-2007, 02:23 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Passat774
Some feel a little upset about there wheel purchase. Yet, I must ask how do you honestly, think a small company like Palo Uber had the ability to make so many wheels? And then why did you buy from them? Was it there ability to show how cool the Mini would look with all the pictures on there website? Should there not be some additional value for what they were able to do?
So what you're saying is that despite PU's claims of being the original designer and exclusive source for these wheels, that potential buyers should have somehow known better? That's exactly what these discussions are for.

And as for "added value", I don't think that having pretty pictures on the website justifies a markup of $1000 or more for a set of wheels. Heck, tirerack.com lets you view the wheels they sell exactly as they would look on *your* car, letting you pick between 'S' and "Cooper", hardtop or convertible, and even letting you pick between the various factory paint colours to get the best representation of your car. And yet, they somehow manage to scrape by without charging $1800 for an $800 set of wheels...

Old 03-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Do you know for a fact that Palo Uber makes $1k per set? Have you seen there books?

I just think a lot of the people have jumped on these guys way to hard for what they have done. They created market appeal and thus, people purchased there products.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:35 PM
defylogik
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
do you mean the add-on piece that's 'propietary material that's ridgid, yet flexible'? There's probably a patent on that too eh?
you are correct!

http://1346843.estore.networksolutio...tail.bok?no=71

369 dollars i dont know if my credit car is flexible enought to make that ridgid purchase for a piece of plastic.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Old 03-29-2007, 02:42 PM
defylogik
5th Gear
i would actually be tempted to buy it at that price.. hrmmm

but, in the great american fashion of kicking them when they are down.:

palo uber coilover suspension. 1795.00
clearly a rebadged H&R kit. In their picture you can even see where the h&r sticker used to be .. lol.

UBER:

IMG taken from outmotoring, h&r suspension:

Old 03-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I am wondering what is the true purpose of yet another Palo Uber Thread?

Yes, I have there products. The light bar is awesome and the little wing is really a nice small addition to our OE wing. There customer service is very good and I have never had an issue with any of the parts.

I guess, I just need to have someone explain why these guys are so awful?

First of all, it's "their" not "there". That aside, my point is that their response to every question regarding a comparable product on the market is that they are going to sue them, when, it appears, they are not the original designers/producers of the product to begin with.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:59 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by defylogik
clearly a rebadged H&R kit.
Dinan's no better.

That said, there are ultimately very few suspension and very few wheel companies out there. Almost all OEM for other labels. Look at Prodrive - they don't build their own stuff, but everybody knows that (they even leave the Rays or OZ labels in place). They work with existing manufacturers to develop top-notch gear that fits as if it came on the car from the factory. This is quite different that what PU does and claims they do the R&D from start to finish (which in the case of the label they put on the product, they do)

Old 03-29-2007, 04:27 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
Dinan's no better.
I just have to say that ain't the case - Dinan clearly states they use Koni shocks and does not rebadge them (they didn't when I had 'em). What they are selling is a combination of custom tweaked and other components for a complete suspension package they support, not just parts. As a matter of fact I just visited the site and saw they are now offering a 30 day money back guarantee on the systems, which seems pretty cool. I really liked the stage II I had on a BMW, I had it set a bit stiff for bad pavement but it was solid fun for handling and much tighter/balanced then stock or just adding thicker sways and the dealer support for it was worthwhile.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:46 PM
PGT
Banned
true. my point was that Dinan says they are 'custom valved Koni's'. that's hardly the case....they are off the shelf Koni Yellows that they tell you how to set up. The Koni Sport Kit is signicantly less, but alas, you don't get the specific instructions to set them 1.5 turns from full soft for F&R. Neither Koni nor Dinan make the springs - they are sourced from other suppliers.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:01 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
true. my point was that Dinan says they are 'custom valved Koni's'. that's hardly the case....they are off the shelf Koni Yellows that they tell you how to set up. The Koni Sport Kit is signicantly less, but alas, you don't get the specific instructions to set them 1.5 turns from full soft for F&R. Neither Koni nor Dinan make the springs - they are sourced from other suppliers.
Hmmm I don't see any claim as to custom valved,http://www.dinancars.com/Mini.asp?Se...0&Model=91#224

In any case, I know what you are saying when it comes to manufacturing, I guess to me I just think debadging something and possibly passing it off as your own without any official agreement is something else and I didn't think that what Dinan does was equivalent.

PS: fwiw i did get the shock adjusters, orginal boxes and everything when my car was done

Old 03-29-2007, 06:13 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
I have always viewed the Palo Uber posts a humor (humour, for you Brits).
No one in their right mind would pay such outrageous prices for such crap.
Passat, you are either yet another screen name for PU, or you are completely brainwashed. Sorry if this offends you, but I don't care. Your opinion no longer matters.
PU is quickly becoming a joke and anyone (of sound mind and body) who buys from them is an idiot.
As to their re-badging and lawsuit penchant, well, I guess we'll see what happens. I don't predict too many follow-up posts filled with glory.
Mark, what is involved with getting Vendor status revoked, with prejudice, along with a good b*tch slapping? These yo-yos do nothing for the members of this site, other than fleece the occasional semi-retard.

(No one has, or ever will, accuse me of being PC).

Old 03-29-2007, 06:18 PM
defylogik
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
Hmmm I don't see any claim as to custom valved,http://www.dinancars.com/Mini.asp?Se...0&Model=91#224

In any case, I know what you are saying when it comes to manufacturing, I guess to me I just think debadging something and possibly passing it off as your own without any official agreement is something else and I didn't think that what Dinan does was equivalent.

PS: fwiw i did get the shock adjusters, orginal boxes and everything when my car was done
you are off topic, you need to get back to uber bashing lol.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:27 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Paulo Uber threads are like herpes... You get rid of them on one place and they crop up again elsewhere almost instantaneously.

Or is that "like dandilions"? I can never remember.

:: smiles at the Google hits that will now come up from "Paulo Uber AND herpes AND dandlions".

::: waiting for a MOD to axe this thread too :::

Old 03-29-2007, 07:09 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Sorry I'm off on the uber bashing

And ImagoX, I'm not gonna ask how you personally know about them herpes propensities

Old 03-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
You guys just make me

I will just keep enjoying there products and you can keep trying to figure out why.. until maybe one day you buy something from them

Old 03-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Justanthony
3rd Gear
it's THEIR

Old 03-29-2007, 07:36 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
You guys just make me

I will just keep enjoying there products and you can keep trying to figure out why.. until maybe one day you buy something from them
Well, it's been six weeks now - how are you enjoying your titanium pulley? You promised details about the installation - any pictures?

Old 03-29-2007, 07:55 PM
chipgrafx
2nd Gear
For those that wish to discuss Palo Uber's various parts, artwork and your own personal opinions about Palo Uber:
Everyone Else:
Don't come in here yelling and screaming about I don't know squat or have I ever dealt with them, etc. because that has no bearing on my questions or this thread. My opinions and thoughts about this company are not what is being discussed here. I am simply asking for more information, that is all. I am almost certain there will be some bashing or trash talking or whatever you want to call it (though I hope there is not) but it won't be by me. I would just like my questions answered.
Please, please, please can we try to keep this about the questions I posted?

Right now I honestly don't want to hear about who has what parts on their car, what the artwork looks like, where it hangs or who works at or runs this company. I would just like to hear about the 'patent infringement' that has occured. Simple as that.
While I do agree that we will probably never hear anymore about this 'patent infringement' or any other legal actions they may be involved in, I currently feel that by keeping Palo Uber under the gun maybe, just maybe, we will get some straight answeres from them... one day.

Now... Passat774...
I understand that you enjoy spending your money with Palo Uber and talking about how cool their parts are and how good they've treated you but quite frankly no one really cares or at least most of the people that are posting in here don't care. So if you don't mind, can you please stop making responses or even reading threads that may not vibe with your thoughts and feelings about Palo Uber. And as far as the "true purpose of yet another Palo Uber Thread," reread my original post.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Trip024
4th Gear
palo apologist

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical Palo Uber 'PATENT INFRINGEMENT'?