North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Electrical (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical-365/)
-   -   Electrical License plate lights out and error (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/358681-license-plate-lights-out-and-error.html)

stiksandstones 01-10-2022 01:45 PM

License plate lights out and error

The nightmare of my Andream MMI module was almost behind me-till I noticed today my license plate lights are out and I have a license plate light error on the instrument panel.

Long story short, installed the challenging MMI module to get carplay in my 2012 Mini Countryman, and installed the backup camera.
I popped out the license plate lights to get into that bumper so I could put in the actual backup camera.
Did not think I did any damage to anything, pretty simple process (something in this job had to be easy)....but now the license plate lights dont work and I get the error on panel.
I plugged in bluedriver to clear the code, but, it came up again and lights never worked.

AND-for testing the lights, are they ALWAYS ON, or driven by turning on headlights.

What next? fuse??
Thanks

MVPeters 01-10-2022 03:25 PM

The license plate lights come on with the parking lights. I'll guess that you've disturbed the plug to the lights.
Check for 12V on the bulb contacts & that the festoon bulbs are secure - it's a pretty wimpy design.

stiksandstones 01-10-2022 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by MVPeters (Post 4610171)
The license plate lights come on with the parking lights. I'll guess that you've disturbed the plug to the lights.
Check for 12V on the bulb contacts & that the festoon bulbs are secure - it's a pretty wimpy design.

Thank you!
I don't know how to check, but I do have a multimeter, maybe ill youtube it.
Spraying some electrical cleaner? perhaps? the lights have some dirt, but the PLUGS seem pretty sealed.

There is a little copper clip on the housing that helps click it into space, I did deform that, but I think its just a construction part, not electrical?

2014 MC 01-10-2022 03:53 PM

Popping this in and out could have damaged the bulb filament even. Those things seem to go out pretty easy... Check the bulb is good first and work your way back. If bulb is good, check for power at the socket, etc. work back to a fuse...

stiksandstones 01-10-2022 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by 2014 MC (Post 4610176)
Popping this in and out could have damaged the bulb filament even. Those things seem to go out pretty easy... Check the bulb is good first and work your way back. If bulb is good, check for power at the socket, etc. work back to a fuse...

I will try that, I did pop it in and out a few times during the camera install.
Thanks

stiksandstones 01-10-2022 04:42 PM

You were correct! both bulbs were dead/broken filament, found them at local auto parts store.
Thank you!