Electrical Front Fog Light Coding

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 10:25 AM
reidmefirst
2nd Gear
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Front Fog Light Coding

My F54 was ordered with LED headlights, but no front fog lights (Signature trim). I didn't think that it was even a possibility to order a car this way, as the MINI builder web application requires you to get LED fog lights when you upgrade to LED headlights, and all Signature trim vehicles include at least halogen front fog lights. Alas...mine was on a dealer lot and was ordered without any fog lights.

So, the vehicle has no fog light switch, and no fog lights are mentioned on the Monroney sticker. The vehicle does have the physical fog lights, though. The lights are present on the car, and both lights have a wiring harness that goes to the body domain controller. Each harness has four wires, which appears to be the standard for cars with fog lights + DRLs on the bottom of the front bumper. (If you get LED headlights, your actual DRLs are a halo around the headlight bulb, and the bottom bumper DRLs are inactive it seems).

I purchased a new headlight switch with the front and rear fog light buttons. Coding up the rear fog lights appears to be a no-brainer and many people have done it on both the F54 and the F56. I wonder if anyone in Gen3-land has coded to activate front fog lights? I'd be curious to learn which setting(s) will activate the lights for me. If nobody knows, I guess I'll work to figure it out and post my findings here.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:36 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
It's funny that I was thinking last night as I was driving how useless the front fogs really are on my F56. The LED headlights seem to do the job.

However in the interest of helping you, I googled "bmw code front fog" and found many threads with tidbits of info that will probably help you find what you need. One funny-ish thread was on a guy looking to delete the front fogs.

Good luck with the project.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:51 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
I hate the fog lights. Eventually Im buying a JCW or similar front bumper so I can get rid of them

Old 04-13-2019, 05:23 PM
pillpusher84
2nd Gear
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by reidmefirst
My F54 was ordered with LED headlights, but no front fog lights (Signature trim). I didn't think that it was even a possibility to order a car this way, as the MINI builder web application requires you to get LED fog lights when you upgrade to LED headlights, and all Signature trim vehicles include at least halogen front fog lights. Alas...mine was on a dealer lot and was ordered without any fog lights.

So, the vehicle has no fog light switch, and no fog lights are mentioned on the Monroney sticker. The vehicle does have the physical fog lights, though. The lights are present on the car, and both lights have a wiring harness that goes to the body domain controller. Each harness has four wires, which appears to be the standard for cars with fog lights + DRLs on the bottom of the front bumper. (If you get LED headlights, your actual DRLs are a halo around the headlight bulb, and the bottom bumper DRLs are inactive it seems).

I purchased a new headlight switch with the front and rear fog light buttons. Coding up the rear fog lights appears to be a no-brainer and many people have done it on both the F54 and the F56. I wonder if anyone in Gen3-land has coded to activate front fog lights? I'd be curious to learn which setting(s) will activate the lights for me. If nobody knows, I guess I'll work to figure it out and post my findings here.
Using ESYS, add SALAPA element "5A1" (LED Fog Lights), to your VO. Then VO_Code the BDC ECU. this should take care of everything for you.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:21 PM
reidmefirst
2nd Gear
Revisiting this old thread. I tossed a switch with both front and rear fog light buttons into my F54. I was able to enable the rear fogs by adding element 5AA and then coding my BDC ECU. However when I added 5A1, and turned on my front fog lights, my car tells me there is a front fog light error.

I wonder what my lights even are, now. When I unlock the car the upper portion of the fog lights lights up, even before coding. The upper half of the light housing is a conventional halogen bulb. The lower half is mostly a mirror, with a small sliver at the top that appears to be an LED bulb. I had thought that this was a standard LED fog light, but maybe not...does anybody happen to know the SALAPA element for standard (halogen) fog lights? I could try that to start, in case my BDC is expecting a different current draw. Of course it is possible that my lights are truly missing the fog light element, and only have this upper half pathway lighting bulb, which would be a shame...

Basically, my lights look identical to this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mini-F5...EAAOSwPOhaXv8n . Could be that a car ordered with my wacky options (LED headlights, but NO fog lights) gets a special version of fog light insert that is actually missing a bulb?

Old 07-11-2019, 08:43 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
If your car didn't come with the front fog light option, it doesn't have it. It has the DRL lights that look like fog lights but doesn't have the bulb or wiring.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:37 PM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by N0B0DY
If your car didn't come with the front fog light option, it doesn't have it. It has the DRL lights that look like fog lights but doesn't have the bulb or wiring.
So, for us without the front fog light option, its a dead end? Unlike with the rear fog lights, the front fog lights can't be simply be "activated" ?

Old 08-06-2019, 02:19 PM
reidmefirst
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Walt
So, for us without the front fog light option, its a dead end? Unlike with the rear fog lights, the front fog lights can't be simply be "activated" ?
That does appear to be the case, yeah.

I found this though, which lists some "repair cables" for the main wiring harness. This particular part only mentions the headlight itself, but it's possible that the cable includes wiring for the fog lights too: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_2179 . Basically part 61129364723 (drivers side in US) and 61129364725 (passenger side in US) miiiiiiiiiight include both the headlight and the fog light wires as a complete harness, but it's hard to tell without plunking down $350 to tell.

If they do include fog light wires on that harness, then it should be possible to run that repair cable to the fog light spot and install fog lights...