North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Electrical (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical-127/)
-   -   Electrical My various projects - Auto Up module, Shift Light, Atoto A6 retrofit (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/337517-my-various-projects-auto-up-module-shift-light-atoto-a6-retrofit.html)

socalva 03-31-2019 05:31 PM

My various projects - Auto Up module, Shift Light, Atoto A6 retrofit

Just wanted to show some of the projects I've been working on for the last year - my auto up module, CAN BUS shift light, and Atoto A6 headunit retrofit into the center cluster. If there's interest, I can show some pictures on how I got the headunit to fit.

co0p3r 03-31-2019 06:50 PM

Interested in the Can based shift light - post more on that.

Oldboy Speedwell 03-31-2019 07:25 PM

+1

I like the design of the shift light and would love more info.

socalva 03-31-2019 08:00 PM

I’ll take another video showing the different features. It’s based on Chippernut’s shift light code that I modified to accept can bus signals using an MCP2515. I’ve decoded almost all of the cluster based signals for the single and dual clusters. So the shift light auto dims with the headlight, and can display CEL, temp, odo, etc.. I’m working on integrating them into a touch screen race dashboard based on a Nextion screen. That was I can get rid of the steering wheel cluster. Here’s a few more videos of it in action

Demo mode

Using it at Chuckwalla raceway

co0p3r 03-31-2019 08:08 PM

OK I am interested in 2 of the shift lights, one for a 2006 MCSa JCW with Chrono and another for a 2006 MCS Manual non-Chrono.
I plan on switching the Manual car to a LinkECU standalone I wonder if it will still work with that ECU

I would take one of the auto up circuits also, I have the Ian Cull v7 in both car now, the MCSa works perfect but the Manual car the Auto Fogs is "flaky the a cresant" the track mode on it and the windows work fine but it turns the fogs on and off.

BTW before someone says anything about 'you dont shift a auto trans' the car has paddle shifts, that can be used in the sport mode and the other reason is its cool

c0op3r

Oldboy Speedwell 04-01-2019 03:57 AM

Is the shift light still in the R&D phase?

I really like the auto-dim feature, that's a very nice touch.

Do you happen to have a ballpark figure for what one would cost?

Thanks.

socalva 04-01-2019 11:37 AM

The shift light is still being developed. The coding is pretty much done for now, but I need to finalize the circuit board and update the 3D design for the case. You can see in the video that the LCD screen is just attached to the bottom of the case and the LED strip needs to be fully enclosed. I'm going to keep that overall design (screen bottom center, LED strip above) what you can't see is the rotary knob used for changing settings like brightness, segment colors, shift point, dimming level, etc.. I also use this to capture raw canbus dumps, so another cool use there. I've been testing it daily since December and it's awesome to use at the track and street. I was hoping to have it completed by now but work's been crazier than usual lately. Not sure what I would sell them for yet, I'll have to see what all of the parts run and assembly time when it's finalized.

Mini_Crazy 05-05-2019 01:40 PM

I am also interested in the shift light. 2005 Manual w/Chrono.

Looks good! :thumbsup:

As Oldboy said, the auto-dim feathre is a particularly useful idea for after dark.

socalva 10-02-2019 10:47 AM

Here's an update to the shift light.. re-designed to use a touch screen and display more canbus data. Here it is using 8 LED's but it can support up to 30. I'll most likely have either 10 or 16 in the finished design. I'm pretty happy with how this is turning out.. my goal is to get rid of the little cluster. I'm working on adding a wireless gear position indicator next.

kensic 10-08-2019 11:21 PM

did you use inpa to code the windows one touch operations?

by the way, where in so cal are you located?

socalva 10-09-2019 09:59 AM

That's an auto-up module I made.. you can buy it from Way if you contact him. Although depending on your model year, you can use INPA to code single up/down as well. The module does dual auto up/down and other things like disable DSC on startup, auto fog lights, etc.. I'm in the LA area

kensic 10-09-2019 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by socalva (Post 4498045)
That's an auto-up module I made.. you can buy it from Way if you contact him. Although depending on your model year, you can use INPA to code single up/down as well. The module does dual auto up/down and other things like disable DSC on startup, auto fog lights, etc.. I'm in the LA area

yea ultimately i'm just looking to get one touch up windows. and open / close windows with key, just those factory settings. and eventually activate cruise control (i need to install my retrofit kit.) . would you able to help me with those? im in the OC, ofcourse i would pay you for your time.

Husky44 10-13-2019 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by socalva (Post 4460341)
Just wanted to show some of the projects I've been working on for the last year - my auto up module, CAN BUS shift light, and Atoto A6 headunit retrofit into the center cluster. If there's interest, I can show some pictures on how I got the headunit to fit.

https://youtu.be/EOlhoBXAn9w

Did you ever do a post or video on the head unit refit?

I'm still looking for options to repurpose the dash space consumed by my factory nav.

mountainhorse 01-29-2020 01:37 PM

Bump...this module is great.... and Socalva is a pretty clever guy !!!

cooper48 01-29-2020 02:46 PM

Socalva, what would be really super great is if you developed the shift light as a dashtop mount that projects a heads-up display on the windshield. The last thing you want to do entering a corner is look down at the shift light. By the way, anyone who's interested, I bought Socalva's R53 auto-up window switch when it was under development (been in my car for around a year) and it works perfectly.

socalva 01-29-2020 05:44 PM

Thanks! I appreciate it. I've thought about doing something like that, but I'm still perfecting the features/interface before really exploring it - I've even thought about doing a basic version that integrates directly into the steering wheel. As for the current status, I've recently upgraded to a 4.3" touch screen, designed a 3d printed case for it, and designed a wireless gear position indicator (it uses an nrf24l01 module for 2-way communication between the screen and gear sensor). Here's a quick drive video I filmed today..

mountainhorse 01-29-2020 05:54 PM

Boy....Lovin my Module...Would be over the moon to get my hands on one of those displays!!
Need any Paying Beta Testers??

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...07f1d859df.png

mountainhorse 01-29-2020 06:26 PM

The Instruments in the new Konigsegg Jesko... steering wheel mounted... Watched the numerous vids... seems kind of awkward to me..

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...841eab4c4e.jpg

socalva 01-30-2020 09:42 AM

Yeah, just preference like floating vs fixed paddle shifters. I like the way the cluster is currently in a fixed position though. Hopefully I can take it to the track soon and test it out. I forgot to mention that the cluster also does 0-60 timing that works pretty well since it's reading real-time speed data from the ECU, it also tracks stuff like highest rpm/speed reached, and drive time. I don't think it's ready for testing yet, not with the wireless gear indicator anyways. I still need to design a baseplate for the shifter housing so the gear sensor board is easy to install. As a stand-alone unit it works pretty well though.. if people are interested in it without the gear sensor, it might be ready for that. I've got a lot of ideas but limited time to work on it.. I ordered a GPS module and SD card writer so I can use this as a mobile canbus data logger, and track timer. I also ordered a 680 nit screen so it'll be 3x as bright than it is now.

cooper48 01-30-2020 01:06 PM

Clever stuff. Nice work.

Derek86 02-04-2020 06:20 AM

I'll just jump in to say I've been running one of Socalva's auto up/DSC/etc. modules and I love it. Not turning off the traction control every time I get in the car is fantastic. It's like a real car again!

mountainhorse 04-04-2021 12:07 AM

Bump... for one well executed design... The window up module with other features... GREAT stuff...

Cheers to a good year of Motoring !!