Electrical Dash cam hard wire

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 08:00 PM
RainbowDasher
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash cam hard wire

I bought a dash cam for my 2013 Countryman and installed it last week. The problem is it won’t turn off. The hard wire kit had a ground wire and a wire attached to a 15A fuse. I have tried all of the 15A slots and it will stay on overnight. I make sure that my key and phone are no where near it when I check on it. What fuse spots are switched and which are constant? Does it matter that the fuse does not push in all the way? I have attached a picture of my fuse box key. It says F37 is blank but there is a fuse in the slot.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:47 PM
ilookmarvlus
1st Gear
I have a hard wire kit with a sensor which monitors the battery and my dash cam will turn on if the car is jostled or hit. My problem is this, I cannot find a place near the fuse panel where I can attached the ground wire. Any help is appreciated. This is the kit I bought. https://amzn.to/2NzFVPA

Old 02-28-2019, 08:24 PM
RainbowDasher
Neutral
Not sure what year your car is but on my 2013 countryman there is a bolt just below the fuse box you can use. The issue is, it is hidden behind the plastic panel piece. So you have to pull that off to get to it. I used that bolt to ground my dash cam.

Originally Posted by ilookmarvlus
I have a hard wire kit with a sensor which monitors the battery and my dash cam will turn on if the car is jostled or hit. My problem is this, I cannot find a place near the fuse panel where I can attached the ground wire. Any help is appreciated. This is the kit I bought. https://amzn.to/2NzFVPA

Old 08-28-2019, 07:36 PM
OSilvera
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi folks.. I purchasrd a dashcam from Bytetronik in Tx. It's their R56 version, Looks super OEM, Very easy to install. Has an App you can download for both Android or Iphone to control. The camera comes with wiring that allows you to plug it's connector directly into your OBD2 port it you run the camera wires down the drivers side, or you can wire it down the passenger side and use an Add a Circuit fuse holder in the kickpanel on the passenger side.

The kit wires with Ground, Acc power, and constant power.. On my 2016 Countryman S, I wired the ACC wire to Fuse 44, then the Constant 12+ wire to Fuse 7. and the ground I wired to a large 13mm bolt on the passenger dash side. You see access to the bolt when you remove the glovebox.

Here are some pics of the side of the mirror before and after, and the way I wired it.
I noticed in a video I saw once of this same camera that if you have a rain sensor, the rain sensor will block the top of the frame. I was afraid this would be a problem, but it actually helps by acting as a type of top lens shade. I wondered about coverage so I took a still frame grab of me 6' tall standing with my legs touching the front bumper, and another with me standing 3ft ( exactly) away.
This shows that you can still see all that's important even with a Rain sensor. ... Unless the person you wanted to record is 6'6" and it standing against your bumper.

Ozzie

Ozzie

The following 2 users liked this post by OSilvera:
greystone (05-08-2021), jay mallari (09-01-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 08:42 AM
lemarzmini
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
dashcam hardwire

Here is a video showing which fuse to tap from, this will make your dash cam automatically turn on and off when you insert or remove the keys.