Electrical Headlight Swap: Angel Eyes + Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 05:45 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by tylerhunter
Nope you do not have to remove the bumper, unbolting the OEM headlights was the hardest part just because I didn't have the right torx drill bit. I ended up having the hand-loosen them with an allen key

Here is a photo of the badge inside the headlight. I'm so glad it doesn't say "NIMI".
I don't think I could deal with looking at the serifed I at the end. It would just drive me crazy. I'd almost prefer NIMI!

The following 2 users liked this post by bratling:
J_L (09-26-2018), pozzi (07-06-2020)
Old 09-19-2018, 07:09 AM
xentar
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffreyevens
Hello everyone who ordered these HID headlights. How are they holding up? Is the projected light beam much better than stock?
I'am asking because I ordered a set and they arrived with one headlight assembled incorrectly, incomplete wiring harness. The left headlight looks to be fine but is useless with out harness. I'am in the middle of swapping e-mails with seller to correct issue's.
I'am on the fence to send it all back or see how they will correct the problems.
Thanks for your input, Jeff
By stock you mean the halogen headlights right? Then yes, they are far more brighter and definitely better than stock halogens and the projected beam looks great IMO. I have mine for 2 years now (including 2 cold winters) and they seem to be holding up just fine. The LED DRLs doesn't flicker on start up and doesn't throw any error messages so no additional coding necessary.

The following users liked this post:
orangedrink888 (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 08:37 PM
Lemmy Caution
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffreyevens
Hello everyone who ordered these HID headlights. How are they holding up? Is the projected light beam much better than stock?
I'am asking because I ordered a set and they arrived with one headlight assembled incorrectly, incomplete wiring harness. The left headlight looks to be fine but is useless with out harness. I'am in the middle of swapping e-mails with seller to correct issue's.
I'am on the fence to send it all back or see how they will correct the problems.
Thanks for your input, Jeff
- Honestly, I cannot find a way to remove the old lamps without destroying things. I've put Litronics in 2 Porsches - mine and a friends. Piece of cake - unbolt the right headlight housing, install the new one. Ditto for the left side. Check alignment - that's it. This is a nightmare. I have a demanding job and home life. Don't have time for puzzles.

What exactly is missing? I'm wondering if I'm missing parts There appears to be a harness for one side but not the other.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:44 AM
xentar
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Lemmy Caution
- Honestly, I cannot find a way to remove the old lamps without destroying things. I've put Litronics in 2 Porsches - mine and a friends. Piece of cake - unbolt the right headlight housing, install the new one. Ditto for the left side. Check alignment - that's it. This is a nightmare. I have a demanding job and home life. Don't have time for puzzles.

What exactly is missing? I'm wondering if I'm missing parts There appears to be a harness for one side but not the other.
I totally understand how you feel.. I even had a friend helped me do the swap but still took us at least 5 hours or more just to remove the headlights. I'm not sure what kind of locking mechanism MINI put on those bolts/screws but they are freakin' pain to unscrew.

About the harness, there is only one side where you are connecting the wires "in series" with the stock DRL and parking lamp. Sorry I forgot to mention before, you will need to plug in the supplied connectors to both stock DRL and parking lamp connectors (mine is in the driver side). This will enable the angel eyes (halo) DRLs to turn on both night and day.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:23 PM
Lemmy Caution
1st Gear
Thanks - When I get time to revisit this - I will order a new set of screws and antivbration nuts from BMW / Mini . Someone somewhere has to know the correct way to remove the lamps. No way a mechanic in a dealership bodyshop is going to spend 5 hours removing headlamps!

IIRC - wiring harness(es):
1 - pos/neg junction to battery has lead that goes to each lamp
2 - there's another wiring junction in a plastic bag that has a multipin connector on it. I'll have to look in the box again. I may have everything.

Thanks again.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:52 PM
orangedrink888
1st Gear
Do you lose the use of the original parking light and drl when connecting to the harness or do they still work with the these headlights?

Old 09-25-2018, 05:38 AM
xentar
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by orangedrink888
Do you lose the use of the original parking light and drl when connecting to the harness or do they still work with the these headlights?
nope, you don't.. they will still function together with the new headlights...

Old 10-06-2018, 02:01 PM
orangedrink888
1st Gear
Got mine installed at a local shop. They noted it was pretty time consuming but had all the tools on hand. There was no junction box and no wires to tap into the battery. I may have received an updated version of the headlights. It was literally just taking off the headlights and connecting the new one in. Here are the results!

Last edited by orangedrink888; 10-06-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:46 AM
xentar
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by orangedrink888
Got mine installed at a local shop. They noted it was pretty time consuming but had all the tools on hand. There was no junction box and no wires to tap into the battery. I may have received an updated version of the headlights. It was literally just taking off the headlights and connecting the new one in. Here are the results!

That looks awesome! Glad you were able to complete your swap. Also, it's great to know that these 3rd party headlights are getting updated with better versions.

Would you mind sharing where did you get your headlights from?

Old 10-09-2018, 08:13 AM
orangedrink888
1st Gear
Originally Posted by xentar
That looks awesome! Glad you were able to complete your swap. Also, it's great to know that these 3rd party headlights are getting updated with better versions.

Would you mind sharing where did you get your headlights from?
Thanks!!! Super happy with them. Took them on a night drive yesterday with my newly installed LED fogs and they just light up the road with amazing visibility. Night and day compared to the original halogens.

I actually got it from the same Aliexpress seller that tylerhunter linked us to. I was expecting a separate piece that connected to the battery and initially thought i was missing pieces. I contacted the seller and told me there were no additional things except for the headlights and ballasts. It was straight plug and play just reusing the parking light and DRL connectors to power the headlight DRL (via t-connectors).

Old 05-12-2020, 10:23 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Reviving an old thread, but yesterday, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a set of these. They are full LED and look like the newer LCI headlights, with the DRL rings flashing amber for the turn signals.. They ended up costing $727 with discounts, and there is free shipping. Plug and play, according to the seller. They are not supposed to arrive until 7/2, so there's still a wait, but hopefully they are as good in person as they look in the pics. It should be noted that the negative review was written by a person who owns an R56, but ordered them anyway, even though they specify that they are for F54, F55, F56, F57 only.The issue is "wrong size". Duh!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_

Old 07-10-2020, 06:38 AM
Massimiliano Travan
Neutral
F56 OEM Headlight to HID Conversion Kit Upgrade

Hello, may I ask if anyone got any problems (apart from the removal of the screws) with the conversion kits that most of you tried and that you described on this thread?
any issue with the lights or bad materials? Any problems with errors occuring on the display?
Are you overall satisfied with the HID conversion kit?
Last question: do you know if an installation video guide is available somewhere to help me in the process of intallation?

Many thanks,
Massimiliano

Old 07-10-2020, 06:48 AM
Massimiliano Travan
Neutral
Originally Posted by ASKtheteach
Reviving an old thread, but yesterday, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a set of these. They are full LED and look like the newer LCI headlights, with the DRL rings flashing amber for the turn signals.. They ended up costing $727 with discounts, and there is free shipping. Plug and play, according to the seller. They are not supposed to arrive until 7/2, so there's still a wait, but hopefully they are as good in person as they look in the pics. It should be noted that the negative review was written by a person who owns an R56, but ordered them anyway, even though they specify that they are for F54, F55, F56, F57 only.The issue is "wrong size". Duh!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_
How's working?

is it acceptable in quality?
Does it work properly without any errors?
could you attach a picture of the headlights mounted?

sorry for all these questions but before spending 750$ I just want to be sure the price is really worth it.

many thanks,
Massimiliano

Old 07-10-2020, 06:59 AM
xentar
2nd Gear
I have no issues or whatsoever.. I've been using the conversion headlights for 3 years now. The LEDs are still bright, no error codes and flickering on start-up. Sorry, I don't have any video on how I installed mine.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:54 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Originally Posted by xentar
I have no issues or whatsoever.. I've been using the conversion headlights for 3 years now. The LEDs are still bright, no error codes and flickering on start-up. Sorry, I don't have any video on how I installed mine.
Still waiting for my headlights to arrive. My factory halogens have the “crazing” issue, with the tiny cracks all over the clear plastic. How have your aftermarket ones held up so far?

Old 07-16-2020, 06:16 AM
Massimiliano Travan
Neutral
Still waiting for my headlights to arrive. My factory halogens have the “crazing” issue, with the tiny cracks all over the clear plastic. How have your aftermarket ones held up so far?
So you're waiting for the ones from AliExpress?
Could you give us your opinion when they arrive and after you will fix them? I am really curious to see if this type of lamp really works.

I wonder if anyone else can provide me with their feedback on these headlamps and how they're going so far.

Many thanks in advance guys

Old 08-06-2020, 04:19 PM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
After two months, my headlights finally arrived on Tuesday afternoon and I installed them today. There were no instructions, so figuring out the wiring harness that came with them was interesting at first, but not a big deal. Basically, you plug it into the stock DRL connectors. No splicing of wires at all. Literally plug and play. It took me about 45 minutes to do the left one as that was the first one I did. The right side took 20 minutes. I am amazed at how different the car looks now!

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7461.MOV (8.35 MB, 96 views)
The following users liked this post:
iambazzy (08-29-2023)
Old 08-22-2020, 10:58 AM
StefanPettersson
Neutral
Originally Posted by Massimiliano Travan
So you're waiting for the ones from AliExpress?
Could you give us your opinion when they arrive and after you will fix them? I am really curious to see if this type of lamp really works.

I wonder if anyone else can provide me with their feedback on these headlamps and how they're going so far.

Many thanks in advance guys

I'm thinking of doing the exact same as you. I have an F56 2014. How did it work out for you ? Are they good quality ? Was it hard to wire them up etc ?

So was all the needed wiring with the lights ? How does it connect to the DRL's ?

Thanks in advance,
Stefan

Old 08-24-2020, 06:06 PM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
[QUOTE=StefanPettersson;4550659]I'm thinking of doing the exact same as you. I have an F56 2014. How did it work out for you ? Are they good quality ? Was it hard to wire them up etc ?

So was all the needed wiring with the lights ? How does it connect to the DRL's ?

Thanks in advance,
Stefan[/QUOhe

The quality is actually very good and is really on par with the factory lights. Install was pretty straight forward, in spite of the fact that they did not come with any directions. I am pretty comfortable working on a car, so I'm sure that helped. Regrettably, I did not take pics as I was doing the install.

Mounting is "interesting". The car uses the most ridiculous system I have ever seen. Each light is held in place by three T30 torx bolts and one 10mm bolt. The torx bolts screw into a bizarre combination of plastic and metal washers all bundled together, with a nut encapsulated in folded metal. It is as though, the day before the F series cars went into production, the engineer in charge of lighting said "Oh. That was due today?" Take your time and you'll see how everything goes together. Very important: After the lights are bolted in place, DO NOT slam the bonnet until you are sure that they line up with the bonnet openings. If you don't do that, you could damage the lights.

The factory harness plugs into the back and provides power for the headlights and turn signals. Two new harnesses are included, one for each light. One end plugs into the back of the headlight. For the other end, you remove the factory DRL and position (parking) light bulbs from the factory housings. You then disconnect the bulbs from their connectors and snap the connectors into the new harness. It is impossible to mess this up, as it is obvious which connector goes where and they only fit one way. Finally, you plug the bulbs into the sockets in the new harness and reinstall them back into the factory locations. Make sure to do the wiring before bolting the lights into place. Access to the factory DRLs and position lights is very easy from above when the lights are out of the way.

After the install, I took the car to my MINI dealership to have the lights properly aligned (so they are centered in the bonnet openings) and aimed. That was it. They look like the car came from the factory with them and the difference in lighting is insane. I have now replaced all of my exterior lights with LED bulbs. I could drive down the darkest road imaginable and it would be lit up like broad daylight! Plus, the car looks amazing with the LED headlights. Much better than the outdated looking halogens it came with.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:34 AM
jeffreyevens
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=ASKtheteach;4550982]
Originally Posted by StefanPettersson
I'm thinking of doing the exact same as you. I have an F56 2014. How did it work out for you ? Are they good quality ? Was it hard to wire them up etc ?

Thanks in advance,
Stefan[/QUOhe

The quality is actually very good and is really on par with the factory lights. Install was pretty straight forward, in spite of the fact that they did not come with any directions. I am pretty comfortable working on a car, so I'm sure that helped. Regrettably, I did not take pics as I was doing the install.

Mounting is "interesting". The car uses the most ridiculous system I have ever seen. Each light is held in place by three T30 torx bolts and one 10mm bolt. The torx bolts screw into a bizarre combination of plastic and metal washers all bundled together, with a nut encapsulated in folded metal. It is as though, the day before the F series cars went into production, the engineer in charge of lighting said "Oh. That was due today?" Take your time and you'll see how everything goes together. Very important: After the lights are bolted in place, DO NOT slam the bonnet until you are sure that they line up with the bonnet openings. If you don't do that, you could damage the lights.

The factory harness plugs into the back and provides power for the headlights and turn signals. Two new harnesses are included, one for each light. One end plugs into the back of the headlight. For the other end, you remove the factory DRL and position (parking) light bulbs from the factory housings. You then disconnect the bulbs from their connectors and snap the connectors into the new harness. It is impossible to mess this up, as it is obvious which connector goes where and they only fit one way. Finally, you plug the bulbs into the sockets in the new harness and reinstall them back into the factory locations. Make sure to do the wiring before bolting the lights into place. Access to the factory DRLs and position lights is very easy from above when the lights are out of the way.

After the install, I took the car to my MINI dealership to have the lights properly aligned (so they are centered in the bonnet openings) and aimed. That was it. They look like the car came from the factory with them and the difference in lighting is insane. I have now replaced all of my exterior lights with LED bulbs. I could drive down the darkest road imaginable and it would be lit up like broad daylight! Plus, the car looks amazing with the LED headlights. Much better than the outdated looking halogens it came with.
I've been reading these threads for some time now. How are the new lights holding up? Do they project light down the road much better than the stock halogen lights? Did you have to replace the mounting elements that hold the housing in place? I'am on the fence because I ordered HID lights from Alipress 1 1/2 years ago and received defective products and the refund process was long and a pain in the ***. So I'am a little uneasy about it, but these lights seem to be the best option other than factory LED's with are way too expensive.
Thanks for your input,
Regards, Jeff

Old 09-27-2020, 05:35 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
The lights are blisteringly bright! It is amazing what a difference they make when driving at night. Much, much, much brighter thann the halogens that came on the car with a much whiter light and a very sharp cutoff. They are definitely comparable to the factory LED lights. So far, they are holding up very well and continue to look brand new. I replaced the factory fog light, position light, and DRL bulbs with LEDs so they match the bright white output. I also coded the fog lights to work as cornering lights, which is a really cool feature.

Old 09-27-2020, 09:06 AM
jeffreyevens
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The lights are blisteringly bright! It is amazing what a difference they make when driving at night. Much, much, much brighter thann the halogens that came on the car with a much whiter light and a very sharp cutoff. They are definitely comparable to the factory LED lights. So far, they are holding up very well and continue to look brand new. I replaced the factory fog light, position light, and DRL bulbs with LEDs so they match the bright white output. I also coded the fog lights to work as cornering lights, which is a really cool feature.
ASKtheteach, Thanks for the reply, glad to hear they are working well. I also put led's in my fog lights, great improvement !! I hope to be ordering new lights soon but when I went to the website it said these lights would not fit my car? i wonder if it's this supplier's way of saying it's out of stock. There are other supplier's with what looks like the same headlights with prices all over and they say their lights fit my car . I'll be looking into this more. Thanks again, Jeff

Old 11-12-2020, 11:28 AM
bereic
Neutral
Hi
Are the Low/High Beam a LED projector or is it HID?
Do they level the light by itself, or how is it with leveling?

Do they maybe have a E sign or SAE/DOT?

Sorry for the questions.. i was looking for replacing the Halogen with LED OEM lights.. they are available for a reasonable price now (used). But I am tired of working on the wiring now (but it is possible, just repinning), this is why i would like to do Plug&Play.

Thank you

Old 11-12-2020, 12:26 PM
David Baker
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bereic
Hi
Are the Low/High Beam a LED projector or is it HID?
Do they level the light by itself, or how is it with leveling?

Do they maybe have a E sign or SAE/DOT?

Sorry for the questions.. i was looking for replacing the Halogen with LED OEM lights.. they are available for a reasonable price now (used). But I am tired of working on the wiring now (but it is possible, just repinning), this is why i would like to do Plug&Play.

Thank you
An option you have is to put LEDs in the halogen headlight shells, if you are wanting brighter lights. If you want the angel eyes then you'll need to swap to the LED assemblies.

That said, if you do go with the LED bulb option, don't cheap out on the bulbs. Most of the Amazon/eBay bulbs will give you a bad beam pattern. I swapped the ones in my wife's car with the lights from GTR Lighting. They aren't cheap but they had exactly the same beam pattern as the halogen bulbs but considerably brighter. If you want more details, let me know. There are people out there that will poo-poo the idea of swapping the bulbs but if done correctly with a quality replacement, you'll have excellent results without needlessly blinding oncoming drivers.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:40 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by David Baker
<snip>
That said, if you do go with the LED bulb option, don't cheap out on the bulbs. Most of the Amazon/eBay bulbs will give you a bad beam pattern.
<snip>
That is very sage advice right there! I have been looking at options for my SVO, since I ordered my F54 with the LED package. There is a crazy amount of hype all over the internet, but one place that seems to have decent advice and goes over details regarding bulbs is a place called Headlight Revolution. I have no affiliation to them, nor have I purchased anything from them, but I have found some of their videos informative...the guy even comes out and says that he doesn't care if you buy bulbs from him, FWIW. Here is a good video to start with:
Simply put, more output does not equal a good bulb, since if it isn't a compatible light emission shape to the headlight bucket, you end up with an oncoming driver blinding light and no better vision from behind the wheel. Do your research and you should end up with a good outcome w/o breaking the bank.

Quick Reply: Electrical Headlight Swap: Angel Eyes + Projectors