Electrical Ecliptech ShiftP2 shift light (renew + video)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 07:20 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Ecliptech ShiftP2 shift light (renew + video)

i track the mini quite often. noticed last year that i was either shifting too early or hesitating shifts because i wasn't sure where i was...inevitably i found myself looking down at the tach quite often. i've also been checking out ecliptech's shift light for a few years now. they stopped selling them over a year ago as they were releasing a new model. it was released dec. of 2016 and i had an order in immediately. finally had the chance to install it yesterday.

it has a TON of features. to name a few:
- Start RPM and end RPM
- cruise control auto-detect dimming
- signal adjustment for any type of car (mini is pulse value of 2)
- light-up mode can be many colors or many patters, with or w/out flashing.

it really is fairly customizable. i chose the default light pattern. for now, it's my favorite.

the install was fairly simple, considering what needs to be done. there are 6 wires in total but only 3 wires need to be used.

- Ground wire: obtained from behind gauge cluster (i think that was the thick brown/white wire)
- switched power: gauge cluster only has delayed powere so i pulled switched from the ignition wire located in the fuse panel.
- tach signal: the thick black wire behind the obd plug. the hard part is removing the obd plug as well as the clutch harness. that gave me enough slack to tap into the wire. note: it's still a VERY VERY tight space to work with. because of the cold, e-tape didn't stick, so it's exposed for now until warm weather allows me to clean it up. i'll try and come up with a better way to access the cable.
- the 3 additional wires can be used as external inputs or outputs (ie, tap a buzzer when it's time to shift)

besides that, the only thing that bothered me slightly is that the base of the unit is concave ever so slightly so you can't place it flat on your steering column. i ended up using tape on the back of it and adhered it to the gauge cluster. this actually worked out better as if you want to move the steering wheel in or out, it just follows the gauge cluster as it's attached to it.

1 day with it so far and i love it. i purposely have it starting at about 3k RPM just so i can see it functioning. i will probably move it to 4k to avoid disrupting me.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:44 AM
chibullsan
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was super helpful! I am looking for more info on the exact wire to tap into for the rpm signal. Can you clarify or take a picture?

Old 09-24-2017, 07:36 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
wow, i head to re-read my original post to remember that i didn't tape up the tach signal. i need to do that soon before it gets cold again! lol.

if you go to your obd port and put a flashlight behind it, you'll see a bunch of wires. they're all on ONE side of the OBD port with a single wire (thick black wire) on the other side. that's your tach signal. unless you can get the obd port loose, it's almost impossible to get to it. i had to ever-so-lightly cut the shielding open with a razor blade. i scrapped off enough until i exposed the wire. i wrapped up my wire from the shift light and that's it. from there, when you power on the shift light, the settings will show you how to setup the tach signal as you can adjust the pulsating voltage signal to match your car. once you do it, you'll see how easy it is.

fyi, a 10000% easier way is to get this:
http://images.crutchfieldonline.com/...ide/page2d.jpg

then you don't need to cut anything.