Electrical Anyone running a Lithium ION battery?

Old 02-04-2017, 08:40 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Anyone running a Lithium ION battery?

I've been looking for spots on my car to drop weight that don't require much compromise for a bit, and mostly coming up empty. I noticed that the price of some of Braille's larger lithium batteries are within reach.

They have a group 49 battery that is roughly the same dimensions as the stocker, but ~14lbs. They're nearly 2 grand though. The lead acid equivalent number on that is quite a bit higher than the 80Ah of the stock battery, but the price is pretty eye bulging at North of $2k.

They also have a group 34 battery that is a bit less long but otherwise basically the same dimensions as the stocker. It has a lead acid equivalent capacity that is only 2Ah down from the stocker, is ~11lb, and much cheaper at $1k. 38lb off the front of the car seems pretty tough to ignore, and that price is cheaper than just about any other competing option up there (hood, etc.) and probably a bigger weight drop.

Given the electronic complexities of modern euro cars, I'm slightly concerned with everything working properly with such a beast installed. I do see people with earlier model MINI and BMW cars running them without issues, but not much on anything current (probably because of the audience size on our cars and the fact that the F-series Bimmers come stock with a lithium battery). The BMW battery seems to require a 18v charging circuit and extra connectivity, so I assume it isn't an option.

--Matt

Last edited by mattkosem; 02-04-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:54 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
I reached out to Braille and they indicated that there should be no negative behavior with their lithium batteries in our cars. Apparently pretty much every brand's factory race team uses these things. They did mention that there are not fee on the long ends of the i34RX battery so, depending on, how the hold down in ours works the group 48 option or a customized tie down would be necessary.

--Matt

Old 02-06-2017, 04:22 PM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
the relevant spec is not the AH but the cranking amps. Those 2k batteries are way more capacity than you need. One of the Braille smaller batteries ought to do at half the price and weight. (Note I have No actual experience with them, just going by the specs. )

Old 02-06-2017, 06:38 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
On cars like these, with start/stop, the reserve capacity is more relevant than it used to be. Pretty much any of those batteries have the peak amps needed to start a small engine. It's the whole starting and stopping again part that demands the capacity. I don't personally use it, but I don't want to have issues if there are other vampires depending on the reserve of the stock battery.

Unfortunately, it looks like the group 49 will be the only direct fit in these cars because the battery tray grabs the outer edge of the longer dimension:

That being the case, a modified tray or much more expensive battery seem to be the running options. $1k to drop 38-39lb seems within the realm of reasonable, but $2k for 34-35lb seems like a stretch.

Maybe something like this could be used to make one of the smaller ones fit:
http://machtschnell.com/aluminum-lightweight-battery-enclosure-braille-batteries.html

--Matt

Last edited by mattkosem; 02-06-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:11 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
using a LI-Battery for one year, even through winter. No Problems.

Less than 25 kgs is something you should not miss, especially if placed heigh at the most idiotic place.

Do it like me, install the charger as well, and plug it in. The battery stays 5 days
active before empty. If the battery is empty you cant override it.

"Proudly made in Germany" ))))))

https://www.liteblox.de/shop/liteblo...port-batterie/

Search this Thread