Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical The Foot Well Module: functions, problems, solutions?

Old 09-14-2017, 06:05 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Ren920
I was looking for a problem in the FRM/BCM and on the first page of the post, someone posted this diagram:

You are right; they only go to F42 in the passenger compartment.

I think I got my problem solved by messing around with the harnesses on the BCM.
Oh! OK, these fuses are internal to the FRM logic board.
Anyway, I'm glad you could fix your problem!

Old 09-14-2017, 04:55 PM
Ren920
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miniuy
Oh! OK, these fuses are internal to the FRM logic board.
Anyway, I'm glad you could fix your problem!
I figured that might be where they were; Thanks for clarifying.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:29 AM
Rochelle Dupre
Neutral
Help!

Originally Posted by Chernobyl
Honestly, this is not sounding good.

There are four fuses that supply the FRM (see below). There are none in the FRM itself. In the MINI R56, individual devices (brake lights, headlamps, etc.) are not fused individually. Instead the FRM itself provides circuit protection (it automatically detects short-circuits and then disables individual outputs).

I'd check each of these four fuses (if possible, check that there is +12 V at the appropriate terminals on the FRM itself). If they are all good, then it is likely that your FRM is dead (sorry...). If it is powered up, and otherwise looks fine, but won't communicate with INPA or TOOL32 at all then there is not much you can do but replace it.

Ok I'm new to the whole BMW nightmare. I'm having the same problems, but I also have an airbag fault. I'm pretty shore problems are either this controller or the switch assembly in the steering column. I have no scanner that will read BMW, and very limited access to technical information. Can someone please offer a little advice.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:08 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Rochelle Dupre
Ok I'm new to the whole BMW nightmare. I'm having the same problems, but I also have an airbag fault. I'm pretty shore problems are either this controller or the switch assembly in the steering column. I have no scanner that will read BMW, and very limited access to technical information. Can someone please offer a little advice.
If you don't have any possibility to check your FRM (scanner, NCS Expert, ISTA, etc) you could try:

- disconnect and reconnect your battery
- disconnect and reconnect your FRM
- Replace your FRM

Old 12-29-2017, 03:49 PM
RS11
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks like there is an extended warranty on this module by BMW but nothing from Mini?

Old 01-06-2018, 04:25 AM
RS11
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Indeed, there is an extended warranty on the Mini FRM

Old 06-12-2018, 07:48 PM
Tamara Thomas
Neutral
Originally Posted by Zephyr1
...from the MINI workshop manual:
(accessed via this link):
http://workshop-manuals.com/mini/coo...otwell_module/

depending on features of vehicle, FRM takes input from:
height level sensor
reversing light switch
brake light switch
hazard warning switch
light switch
switch block, drivers door
door contacts
driver's door lock.

The following functions are controlled by the FRM:
Communication between the LIN bus and body CAN
Storing vehicle order
Exterior rearview mirror
exterior lights
interior lights
central locking
front power windows

Vehicle order:
The vehicle order is saved in the footwell module. The vehicle order enables the vehicle to be identified. Besides the type code number, the VO contains all important equipment features on the vehicle.
Would this module prevent the car from starting? I am having issues with starting my car intermittently. Battery is brand new. Starter has been checked and good. Car makes a rapid ticking sound from the relay box and the fusebox when turned off. I don't know where to look anymore.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:26 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tamara Thomas
Would this module prevent the car from starting? I am having issues with starting my car intermittently. Battery is brand new. Starter has been checked and good. Car makes a rapid ticking sound from the relay box and the fusebox when turned off. I don't know where to look anymore.
No, this module on "brick mode" will not prevent the car from starting.
You need to check the error codes stored on the BC (via OBD2).

Surely there is some short-circuit somewhere...

Old 07-01-2018, 02:10 PM
dbaileyuk
Neutral
Left Front Indicator

Hello,
After a bit of advice off you FRM experts,
2009 R55 Cooper S.
I have a bulb failure warning, checking round the car the front left indicator bulb is on, not full brightness may be half. doesn't flash when left indicator is on, rear and scuttle indicator flash very quickly. Checked FRM no sign of water damage, all connections clean. Every thing else works as normal. Advise greatly appreciated.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:43 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
maybe a poor connection at the bulb...replace and clean the socket...FRM failure exhibits more than just an indicator light, I think.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:19 AM
dbaileyuk
Neutral
Re turn/indicator bulb on.

Hello,
After a bit of advice off you FRM experts,
2009 R55 Cooper S.
I have a bulb failure warning, checking round the car the front left indicator bulb is on, not full brightness may be half. doesn't flash when left indicator is on, rear and scuttle indicator flash very quickly. Checked FRM no sign of water damage, all connections clean. Every thing else works as normal. Advise greatly appreciated.

Update;
It did turn out to be the FRM, after fitting one with identical part numbers the problem isn't there ( left front turn/indicator bulb staying on ) Every thing works as it should. The only problem it has given me now is two warnings for different bulbs out, one is rear fog light, and the other is a generic outside bulb out. The rear fog light out warning appears to be due to the FRM thinks I should have two rear fogs, but I only have one, so I coded the left rear one out. that got rid of that warning.
I didn't have time to see which other bulb the FRM thinks is out, so I coded all voltage monitoring out for every bulb.
When I get more time I might code them all back in and turn each one off individually and see which one is giving the problem. It could be due to having led drl's fitted as an aftermarket option.
I'm sure more complex software would tell me the correct bulb that seems to have a problem, but I'm only using Carly app, so I'm quite happy with what I've achieved up to now.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:03 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dbaileyuk
Update;
It did turn out to be the FRM, after fitting one with identical part numbers the problem isn't there ( left front turn/indicator bulb staying on ) Every thing works as it should. The only problem it has given me now is two warnings for different bulbs out, one is rear fog light, and the other is a generic outside bulb out. The rear fog light out warning appears to be due to the FRM thinks I should have two rear fogs, but I only have one, so I coded the left rear one out. that got rid of that warning.
I didn't have time to see which other bulb the FRM thinks is out, so I coded all voltage monitoring out for every bulb.
When I get more time I might code them all back in and turn each one off individually and see which one is giving the problem. It could be due to having led drl's fitted as an aftermarket option.
I'm sure more complex software would tell me the correct bulb that seems to have a problem, but I'm only using Carly app, so I'm quite happy with what I've achieved up to now.
Did you try the old FRM again after disconnecting the battery and disconnecting the data cables? Many times, disconnecting the battery and the data cables, and reconnecting do the trick.
If you have the opportunity, you should modify the VO on your new FRM, since the FRM is the VO backup for the CAS.
In addition, it will keep all the checks and functions as in the original (one rear fog light, ie) after modifying the VO and doing a default for the module...

Old 07-04-2018, 02:14 PM
dbaileyuk
Neutral
Yes I did try disconnecting battery & data cables, still the same upon re-connection.
When I find someone who can re-set the frm I will get it done.
What do you mean by VO ?
Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:06 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dbaileyuk
Yes I did try disconnecting battery & data cables, still the same upon re-connection.
When I find someone who can re-set the frm I will get it done.
What do you mean by VO ?
Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
The only reset procedure for the FRM (that I know) is to re-flash it.
It's not easy since it must be re-flashed with the same exact firmware (type/version) and the module could end up damaged in the process.
It is only recommended for FRM already "dead", as a procedure to try to recover it.

VO: Vehicle Order.
These codes tells the car what the MINI's equipment is

Old 07-19-2018, 05:53 PM
Hunters World
Neutral
Warranty on footwell module

My FRM just went out and I took it to the dealership and the part of under warranty. I want to note that my car is NOT under warranty and I bought it used, but this particular part IS under warranty. Save yourself the headache, time, and money- go let them take care of it so they can program it correctly.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:23 AM
Maverick91
Neutral
I have an '11 R60 Countryman. I had a new engine installed a month ago. Ever since then, none of the Comfort features work (backing-up proximity alert, puddle lights, interior lighting, and others). I've been letting the shop that did the work chase this down. The shop manager thinks this footwell module is the problem and he thinks it under a recall up until there's 125k miles on the car. I'm at 128k, but he wants to get the dealer to make an exception. He's been trying to contact a local Mini dealer (Mini of Arlington, in Arlington, Texas).

Old 09-14-2018, 12:27 PM
TimBaleia
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bcm

Hello guys.

Dont know much about this unit as i just ran into problems related with it unit.

i did an engine swap on the car. Original engine had internal damage after accident. The car was fixed in the bodyshop after the accident. New aftermarket headlights was installed with some pretty hack job HID lights.

Car ran for 2 weeks and then engine died. Dealer told there is no compression in cylinder 1 and 4 on intake side due to broken rocker arm. Some BS. Anyways.

Got used engine swapped it in. Started the car everything rans fine. On the 4th start engine started misfiring and knicking ( due to misfire ) and died. Battery drained, no crank no start and HID flashas like strobes and windshield wipers going nuts.

Remover starter and hotwired it and it works. Using multimeter checked siglan wire and there is no signal and traced it to BCM.

So for sure BCM is responsible for startersignal and in my case i think its dead.

Seems that HIDs fryed BCM.

Any tips suggestions in how to fix it?

P.S. its not my car I’m just fixing it.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:54 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TimBaleia
Hello guys.

Dont know much about this unit as i just ran into problems related with it unit.

i did an engine swap on the car. Original engine had internal damage after accident. The car was fixed in the bodyshop after the accident. New aftermarket headlights was installed with some pretty hack job HID lights.

Car ran for 2 weeks and then engine died. Dealer told there is no compression in cylinder 1 and 4 on intake side due to broken rocker arm. Some BS. Anyways.

Got used engine swapped it in. Started the car everything rans fine. On the 4th start engine started misfiring and knicking ( due to misfire ) and died. Battery drained, no crank no start and HID flashas like strobes and windshield wipers going nuts.

Remover starter and hotwired it and it works. Using multimeter checked siglan wire and there is no signal and traced it to BCM.

So for sure BCM is responsible for startersignal and in my case i think its dead.

Seems that HIDs fryed BCM.

Any tips suggestions in how to fix it?

P.S. its not my car I’m just fixing it.

Can you communicate with ECM/ECU/DME at all? what codes do you get if any? BCM is NOT responsible for starting the car. the CAS/Immobilizer is.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:25 PM
TimBaleia
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Can you communicate with ECM/ECU/DME at all? what codes do you get if any? BCM is NOT responsible for starting the car. the CAS/Immobilizer is.
Thank you for your reply. By trial and error figuered that starter signal cable just going to the footwell and not into BCM. I can communicate to ECU via scanner (BlueDriver).
Will attach scan report. There is lots of codes and im not good in troubleshooting cars network.

P.S. seems tht issue is solved a friend of mine showed up with laptop and reset all adaptations and all modules possible with inpa. Car started right up. Noone knows what was the issue.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:23 AM
sagggas
1st Gear
Warranty extended for FRM

Hi Everyone,

Head's up if you'd had issues and replaced your FRM.

I just got a service notice from Mini that they are extending the limited warranty on the FRM to 10yrs/156K miles.

I know it applies to my 2010 R55S. They will also reimburse for older fixes (will likely need to prove diagnosis, though).

If you didn't get a notice, contact your local dealer to see if your vehicle is covered. My notice indicates you can also call 866-ASK-MINI.

Good luck!

Old 10-02-2018, 09:19 PM
Bubbasky
1st Gear
My footwell module is acting up and

My ac drain came off and flooded my footwell module.... ordered a used one and replaced it. Tail lights don’t work and my headlights strobe. I think my wiring needs to be replaced. Anyone got any ideas or similar stories.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:30 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bubbasky
My ac drain came off and flooded my footwell module.... ordered a used one and replaced it. Tail lights don’t work and my headlights strobe. I think my wiring needs to be replaced. Anyone got any ideas or similar stories.
was it same part number unit?

Old 10-03-2018, 07:37 AM
Bubbasky
1st Gear
was it same part number unit?
i sent my original to the vendor on eBay which I bought it from so they could confirm and they said the part number was the same

Old 10-03-2018, 07:43 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Since these modules tend to malfunction, it is a possibility this one is also faulty. can you share a picture of your module? also, did you let the vendor know of the issue? usually programming is necessary to align the VO (vehicle order no.) with the CAS. but many times, at least in my case, it is plug and play.

you could invest in a K+Dcan cable and Winfkp and NCSexpert to reprogram and recode the module.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:50 AM
Bubbasky
1st Gear
Since these modules tend to malfunction, it is a possibility this one is also faulty. can you share a picture of your module? also, did you let the vendor know of the issue? usually programming is necessary to align the VO (vehicle order no.) with the CAS. but many times, at least in my case, it is plug and play.

you could invest in a K+Dcan cable and Winfkp and NCSexpert to reprogram and recode the module.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical The Foot Well Module: functions, problems, solutions?