Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Making the alarm light blink?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Bistrobeef
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making the alarm light blink?

I had a 2001 BMW 330i before upgrading to my mini. On the Beamer I was able to get the "clown nose" to blink without actually having the factory alarm installed (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=711177) luckily I had a friend who worked at a BMW dealership who was able to do it for free, it was just a program bypass they had to do on the onboard computer. My question is, would this possible to do on a mini? Has anyone tried it?

Old 03-22-2011, 12:55 PM
ClickClack
1st Gear
not to thread jack, but does anyone know the process for setting the alarm light to blink.

i've checked the owners manual and can't seem to find it.

i have a factory instaledl alarm. currently my key fob will just lock the doors and arm the alarm. no beeps, no light blinking...i'm guessing its in the BC module?

Old 03-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Take a look at the coding sticky here in the 2nd Gen electrical section. If there's a way to do it I'm beting that's the DIY process/solution.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:37 PM
MNMLST
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well?

Did OP find anything out? Good news?

I've been wondering about this myself.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 PM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Easy.
I got this (not exact, mine was better search around) actually two
of them (different locations).
http://cgi.ebay.com/RED-LED-LASER-CA...item1c14d71a97

Take the tach apart and there is enough room in there to put
the above. Turn off your key and it blinks great (in several locations
in my case).

Also added scary stickers on the windows too.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 AM
MNMLST
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by condor27596
Easy... Take the tach apart and there is enough room in there to put the above. Turn off your key and it blinks great (in several locations in my case).
You have to be more detailed than that.

How is it wired? From where will it draw power?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:40 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MNMLST
You have to be more detailed than that.

How is it wired? From where will it draw power?
+1

Old 04-11-2011, 07:17 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Sorry it took me a bit to get back here, I had some family problems.

You follow the directions in the kit but with a little experimentation.
I got power from the fuse box (using the links here, plus some experimentation). So I had to extend the wires. It comes with two wires, they both go to power. The funny part about the mini is some fuses have power after you turn the car off for a while. This is the part that takes
some experimentation. I snaked the wires from the fuse box under the secret compartment and back behind the dash. The tach you have to dislodge it with torx drivers and if I remember one was difficult fit.
Pull it gently up. Then, you can take it apart (be careful of course).
The red lense will just pop out. There is a focusing magnifying piece of
plastic (clear) under this. You just pull that out, and there is just enough
room for an aftermarket LED in there. (I'm sure a fancy electrical engineer
could think up a more powerful solution but the ready made solution was like
$10 so no problem).

Old 04-11-2011, 07:20 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
So, this blinks really bright (I will try to find the other kit, mine is really bright I knew what to look for we use the same LEDs at work for these alarm things. Not all are created equal).

As long as I had to run the wires that far, I went ahead and installed another
one on the passenger side console, right there where your left knee its.
I did have to drill a small hole in that plastic piece.

They blink very bright.

I then put some alarm stickers on the windows. All this obtained on ebay.
I used specific name alarm not just a generic.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Splattj
2nd Gear
FYI, the factory LED is surface mounted and would have to be triggered through ECU programming. I tried a single LED setup like Condor but it was too dim to be effective. You could wire up two brighter LEDs and I would believe that it would be bright enough. Unfortunately, you don't get the cool "hearbeat" fade in and out that the OEM alarm generates. I think the correct way is to buy the alarm retrofit for ~$500.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:33 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
You have to get the right LED. Mine is BRIGHT.

I agree it does not fade.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FAKE-CAR-ALARM-L...item5adfe28a0e

I think I got that exact one.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:39 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I've programmed the cars several times to make the light blink without installing the alarm, much cheaper than actually installing. Plus it's pretty cool to see it blink like a heartbeat.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-23-2011, 06:23 PM
ClickClack
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I've programmed the cars several times to make the light blink without installing the alarm, much cheaper than actually installing. Plus it's pretty cool to see it blink like a heartbeat.
is this something that can be done through the BC module? or would you need go in through the OBDII port with a laptop or something?

BTW thanks for the NM motormount, it is awesome!

Old 04-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Okay, I can now confirm that it is possible to use NCS Expert to enable the blinking alarm light - even you don't have the alarm system!

All you have to do is modify one setting in the KOMBI and SPEG modules. The initial setting will be:

Code:
DWA_VERBAUT
    nicht_aktiv
Change this setting in both modules to read:

Code:
DWA_VERBAUT
    aktiv
For reference, DWA_VERBAUT = "Diebstahlwarnanlage Verbaut" = "Theft Alarm Installed".

Code those changes, and that's it - the light on the tach will blink when the car is locked using the remote. Opening a door or the hatch will cause the hazard lights to flash, but there's no audible alarm (unless you have the siren installed). There appear to be settings to enable flashing the headlamps as well, but I have not tried those - I figure the blinking light will be a sufficient deterrent to keep anyone from trying to break-in in the first place.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:23 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by ClickClack
is this something that can be done through the BC module? or would you need go in through the OBDII port with a laptop or something?

BTW thanks for the NM motormount, it is awesome!
Actually when we do it there are 5 modules reprogrammed.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-25-2011, 08:40 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Chernobyl
Okay, I can now confirm that it is possible to use NCS Expert to enable the blinking alarm light - even you don't have the alarm system!

All you have to do is modify one setting in the KOMBI and SPEG modules. The initial setting will be:

Code:
DWA_VERBAUT
    nicht_aktiv

Code:
DWA_VERBAUT
    aktiv
For reference, DWA_VERBAUT = "Diebstahlwarnanlage Verbaut" = "Theft Alarm Installed".

SWEET!!!!!! I am going to go try that!! This setting and the A/C activation when pressing the AUTO button have been two great discoveries by other board members.

If anyone is curious you can get the full alarm retrofit kit (as long as your car is wired for it) for under $200. It includes and ultrasonic interior sensor and the siren with tilt sensor.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:51 PM
HarleyDS
2nd Gear

Code:
DWA_VERBAUT
    nicht_aktiv

Code:
DWA_VERBAUT
    aktiv
Are these settings going to be in all MINI's? I'm assuming its in the ECU. I was just referred to a local guy near me that I'm told can do anything with a Mini and don't want to waste his or my time.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Bistrobeef
1st Gear
Awesome! Thank you everyone for the great feedback.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 AM
HarleyDS
2nd Gear
Also, does anyone have a video showing how this light looks when activated? Just curious.

I'm also wondering what other quick mods would I want to get done if I have someone cracking open the code? Someone mentions the Auto A/C mod, what is that?

And is there any possible issues with Mini if they find out the code was tweaked?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:26 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by HarleyDS
Also, does anyone have a video showing how this light looks when activated? Just curious.

I'm also wondering what other quick mods would I want to get done if I have someone cracking open the code? Someone mentions the Auto A/C mod, what is that?

And is there any possible issues with Mini if they find out the code was tweaked?
The A/C mod is when you press the Auto Climat button, the air conditioning doesnt engage, very practical in the winter time.
You can check this thread for starters, if you interested in doing some mods. Strobeyprobey has some video on his threads here.
Once you are done with the softwares setup and have you cable, you can check NCS expert DIY where I ve put a spreadsheet with other mods, ppl have share on their discoveries on it too.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:53 PM
BBoshart
3rd Gear

Code:
DWA_VERBAUT
    nicht_aktiv

Code:
DWA_VERBAUT
    aktiv

Code those changes, and that's it - the light on the tach will blink when the car is locked using the remote. Opening a door or the hatch will cause the hazard lights to flash, but there's no audible alarm (unless you have the siren installed). There appear to be settings to enable flashing the headlamps as well, but I have not tried those - I figure the blinking light will be a sufficient deterrent to keep anyone from trying to break-in in the first place.
What daten version are you using to read the SPEG? I'm using V34 and I get an error every time. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:03 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BBoshart
What daten version are you using to read the SPEG? I'm using V34 and I get an error every time. Thanks.
Iam suppose to have V38 and iam getting error to trying to read the module ...
here is a copy of it
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61676982@N02/5655948099/

Old 04-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Actually when we do it there are 5 modules reprogrammed.
You're right - to fully build in the alarm system you would also need to code some additional modules (like the CAS, FRM, etc.). That would be equivalent to adding $302 to the FA/VO description and recoding the car. For the purposes of making the alarm light blink when armed, coding the KOMBI and SPEG are sufficient.

Are these settings going to be in all MINI's
Yes, with one qualification: I believe MINI stopped adding the alarm pre-wiring starting with MY 2011. So I don't know if the light is even hooked up in later model cars. BTW: KOMBI = instrument cluster module, SPEG = smart power electronics gateway (chassis module).

Also, does anyone have a video showing how this light looks when activated?
Here is a video from someone else: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6queEayvsQ

Originally Posted by BBoshart
Oh yes, I got that error too at the start. In my case the solution was to use a mix of daten files: the files from the original installation of NCS Expert must be left in the \EDIABAS\ECU folder and I use V40 daten files in the \NCEXPER\SGDAT and \NCEXPERT\DATEN\R56 folders. GTECKO is going to try this combination to confirm that it works for him.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:59 PM
BBoshart
3rd Gear
Oh yes, I got that error too at the start. In my case the solution was to use a mix of daten files: the files from the original installation of NCS Expert must be left in the \EDIABAS\ECU folder and I use V40 daten files in the \NCEXPER\SGDAT and \NCEXPERT\DATEN\R56 folders. GTECKO is going to try this combination to confirm that it works for him.
I've been scouring every forum I can think of to find V40 but I can't find a good link. Can you point me in the right direction or email them to me? PM if necessary. Thanks.

EDIT: Found them. Thanks!

Last edited by BBoshart; 04-26-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:41 AM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Worked !!

Last night I was exchanging some emails with Chernobyl and thanks to him I was able to make it work !!
If you guys see my previous msg #22 - I had an error. So Chernobyl idea is using the V32 files in the c:\ediabas\ecu folder and V38 (for me) for everything else.
worked like a charm, check out the video

two things:
when trying to Open a door or the hatch it doesn't cause the hazard lights to flash
would this light on all the time drain the battery ........

Last edited by GTECKO; 04-28-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Video up - Test done for the hazards lights to come on

Quick Reply: Electrical Making the alarm light blink?