North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Electrical (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical-127/)
-   -   Electrical Chrono pkg retrofit. Anyone done this before? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/255039-chrono-pkg-retrofit-anyone-done-this-before.html)

mrbean 07-25-2013 03:13 PM

Chrono pkg retrofit. Anyone done this before?

I was thinking about a chrono package retrofit on my 03 MCS but I can't seem to find the answers to a couple questions I have.
1. I'm assuming I'll have to install the oil temp / pressure sensors. But I can't find anything on realoem or any other site that shows these parts. I'm assuming it is a one piece sensor that will replace the oil pressure switch on the filter housing. What's the deal? Will this require routing new wires? I've sorted through wiring diagrams and can't find any clues.
2. What about my odometer? I would probably try to get the gauges secondhand. My understanding is that the odometer mileage is stored redundantly in several modules, not just in the instrument cluster. So, what's going to happen when the mileages don't match? Which one(s) take priority as to what is displayed on the dash?

rkw 07-25-2013 06:47 PM

There have been multiple threads on the subject. Enter "chrono retrofit" in the forum search.

ZippyNH 07-25-2013 07:05 PM

Lol...
This question is asked monthly perhaps....
Short answer... If you want everything to work, and correct miles to show on the odometer....no.
Buy a different car....
Or install aftermarket gauges.... Or even a scanguage2

ZippyNH 07-25-2013 07:07 PM

Remember...the car will require programming....and the chrono pack was not available all years...

rkw 07-25-2013 09:00 PM

I recall someone who reported having it retrofitted by a dealer with all new parts. About $2000 out the door.

joylove 08-02-2013 11:35 PM

Why would you not just get the aux gauges? The Chrono pack is grim.

ASKtheteach 08-03-2013 01:35 AM

The Chrono Pack was a great option. I had it on my '06 R50. However, as has been mentioned in multiple threads here, it would be super expensive to do, if it is at all possible. The unit is coded to the VIN for the car, and a few people who have tried have found no way around this. Also, the Chrono Pack wasn't available until '05, so it most likely will not work at all on earlier models.

NightFlyR 08-03-2013 02:02 AM

I also wanted to do this change, but to expensive and really could not get a straight answer if it would work correctly. So the torque app is great, and very easy to use and gives me more information. Problem solved

2005MCSM6 07-17-2019 11:27 AM

2005 MCS here with factory NAV, would the chrono pack be plug and play or will it still need to be programmed?? Speedo/tac are obviously already on the steering wheel.

dwhatty 06-16-2021 02:12 PM

Removing Chrono Pack

I bought a used 2016 F56 JCW that has the 3 gauge dashtop chrono pack installed from the factory.

I cannot stand it! It looks cheap and the gauges are completely illegible to me due to glare and not being daytime backlit.
I want to remove it. I am not worried about the hole that will be left. I'll figure out what to do with that.

So my questions:

If I remove it, will I have code throwing problems?

How do I physically remove it? I have yet been able to find any installation instructions online. (I figure removal might be the reverse of installation?) Does anyone possess such instructions that I might beg, borrow or buy?

Thanks in advance.