Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical I want to reactivate the redline LED

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Deluded
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to reactivate the redline LED

How to do it? I have GT1 diagnosis software, and while I was messing around with it, I noticed that if I click "test cluster LED", all LED in the car turn on...including that redline LED that is normally off.

I want to turn it on. Is there any code in NCS Expert or GT1 or SSS to reactivate it?

I thought that perhaps if I changed the car to a diesel model in BC1 module, the redline LED would turn on. (No, it didn't.) so I change it back to stock. I tried messing around with stuff in BC1 and KMB, but nothing happened.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:25 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
My redline LEDs are normally ON... That's how you know Where redline is... How are yours off?

Old 05-14-2013, 08:30 PM
Deluded
2nd Gear
Mate, I'm talking about those that are off.

Attached Thumbnails I want to reactivate the redline LED-2013-05-14-18.51.29.jpg  
Old 05-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
The ones that are off, are off for a reason. The diesel MINI has a lower redline than the gas version, so in the diesel version, those LEDs light up. You might be able to light them up, but they are not indicative of the actual redline of your vehicle.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:23 AM
Deluded
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
The ones that are off, are off for a reason. The diesel MINI has a lower redline than the gas version, so in the diesel version, those LEDs light up. You might be able to light them up, but they are not indicative of the actual redline of your vehicle.
I know that they're off for a reason. But I just want the light to be on. I like seeing the needle go into the redline -- even though the actual redline limit is higher than the LED lights.

That's all I want. Has anyone lit them up outside a diagnosis software?

Old 05-17-2013, 08:03 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
Looks for posts by Blimey Cabrio. He did it. I know it was not as simple as turning them on. They actually don't have LED's in them as face was used for all models. Anyway, He did a write up on how to get them to work. It may have been on his personal blog. Google his name and it shows right up.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Deluded
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hunter99
Looks for posts by Blimey Cabrio. He did it. I know it was not as simple as turning them on. They actually don't have LED's in them as face was used for all models. Anyway, He did a write up on how to get them to work. It may have been on his personal blog. Google his name and it shows right up.
Well, I don't know about not having LED's in them -- because mine did light up when I ran a diagnosis. I'm not talking about just the regular 7000-8000 redline LEDs -- I'm talking 5500-8000 LEDs. I can take a picture later on tomorrow if needed.

Thanks for the advice though. I'll look him up.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Deluded
2nd Gear
Update:

I made it work. It was really simple... all I had ti do was to change a couple lines of code in ncs expert and boom, all redline led are on.

Attached Thumbnails I want to reactivate the redline LED-20130803_125931.jpg  
Old 08-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Javskies
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deluded
Update:

I made it work. It was really simple... all I had ti do was to change a couple lines of code in ncs expert and boom, all redline led are on.
What do you use to connect your car and laptop?

Old 08-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Deluded
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Javskies
What do you use to connect your car and laptop?
As in the exact cable I'm using right now?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-USB-OBD-Diagnostic-cable-INPA-Ediabas-Ncs-Expert-DIS-v57-SSS-v32-GT1-Progman-/271182362979?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3f23ba7963&vxp=mtr -- it works good, but the instruction guides on how to set up the software is very unintuitive. The only reason why I managed as far as I did without help from the ebay dude was because I'm IT -- I know my way around computers.

I'm taking a look at buying http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-INPA-Ediabas-K-D-CAN-USB-Interface-OBD2-Diagnostic-Scanner-SSS-NCS-EXPERT-/370847481341?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item56583b7dfd&vxp=mtr -- this one allows me to code for 2008+ and up BMW/Minis.

For those who are curious as to what line you have to change to enable the other redline LEDs... I'll post them here.

Requirements:
Your car has to be a 1st gen cooper with the unlit redline LED
The LED must be installed -- when you initiate a gauge/cluster self test, all redline LED must turn on

If you meet all that, then you can code it in.

--

Open and read the KMB module, find these lines below:

SCHWELLE_DZM_WARNFELD_1
nicht_aktiv
SCHWELLE_DZM_WARNFELD_2
nicht_aktiv
SCHWELLE_DZM_WARNFELD_3
nicht_aktiv
SCHWELLE_DZM_WARNFELD_4
aktiv

Change them all to "aktiv". I've attached a picture to show what covers what.

I want to reactivate the redline LED-untitled-1.jpg

I highly recommend changing only one line to "aktiv" then save and flash it to the car.

Changing all three lines to "aktiv" at once and flashing it has some weird side effects, such as turning on the trifecta lights (ABS, ASC and EMP) and they won't turn off.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Javskies
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Deluded
As in the exact cable I'm using right now?

This one -- it works good, but the instruction guides on how to set up the software is very unintuitive. The only reason why I managed as far as I did without help from the ebay dude was because I'm IT -- I know my way around computers.

I'm taking a look at buying this one -- this one allows me to code for 2008+ and up BMW/Minis.

For those who are curious as to what line you have to change to enable the other redline LEDs... I'll post them here.

Requirements:
Your car has to be a 1st gen cooper with the unlit redline LED
The LED must be installed -- when you initiate a gauge/cluster self test, all redline LED must turn on

If you meet all that, then you can code it in.

--

Open and read the KMB module, find these lines below:

SCHWELLE_DZM_WARNFELD_1
nicht_aktiv
SCHWELLE_DZM_WARNFELD_2
nicht_aktiv
SCHWELLE_DZM_WARNFELD_3
nicht_aktiv
SCHWELLE_DZM_WARNFELD_4
aktiv

Change them all to "aktiv". I've attached a picture to show what covers what.

Attachment 79195

I highly recommend changing only one line to "aktiv" then save and flash it to the car.

Changing all three lines to "aktiv" at once and flashing it has some weird side effects, such as turning on the trifecta lights (ABS, ASC and EMP) and they won't turn off.
will the new one work with the r53?

Old 08-05-2013, 01:06 AM
Deluded
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Javskies
will the new one work with the r53?
In theory it should. The older Coopers use d-can obd diagnosis, and the new one is both k-can and d-can.

You're going to have to source ncs expert from somewhere; the one I bought had every software I wanted... no more hunting around.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Javskies
3rd Gear
well i just bought it so well find out!