Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical R53 NCS Expert Guide Add-In

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Diezzler
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I changed the windshield, so I'm hoping it will work correctly.
What was the VO number you had to add? Which modules did you have to recode to stock after that (which module(s) having coding for the wipers as well).

Thanks

Old 09-11-2015, 04:47 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There's a text file that lists all the VO in the R50 dat folder.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Diezzler
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe I'm being an idiot, but can you be anymore specific? I checked my spdaten files (v54) and I can't find any folder call dat with any txt files. I checked all the txt files under the r50 folder and can't find anything.
Is it a txt file or perhaps some other file format like .dat?
I've look on other forums for finding vehicle order info and can't find anyone that has mentioned a "master file" that has a list.
Thanks for your help!

The following users liked this post:
Mr.Green73 (06-01-2020)
Old 09-11-2015, 06:23 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
it's not a .txt, there's one file that's different from all the others. It's a list of order numbers.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:52 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm looking at getting my MINI programmed so that I can run the fog lights with the high beams. Has anyone been successful doing this on a R50/53?
Just to dig up something old again - I finally got the fog lights to stay on with high beams, using NCSExpert on my R53.

I changed this line in the BC1 as follows:

FRONT_FOG_NAS
nicht_aktiv

I suppose NAS stands for "North American Spec", turning it off puts the front fog lights into rest of world (ROW) mode.

Hope this helps someone in need.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:45 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlphaSun
I've been trying to work this out (off and on) for about 3 months now to no avail. I've been able to successfully program the Remote Window Open (hold the fob unlock button and all windows open) as well as a number of other things I wanted to program. The one thing that still eludes me is Remote Window Close (hold the fob lock button and all windows close).

I've got a 2002 MCS (R53) with a BC1.C03 module. I have the "old" 2-button remote. If my TRC file would be helpful to anyone, I'd be happy to post it.

spidertnt -- I tried pressing the lock button repeatedly very fast but had no luck with that either. Were you ever able to get this working right on your '04 MCS?
I have a '04 R53 (11/03 build) and the BC1.C03 module. It already had remote window open programmed (push and hold unlock button), and I used NCSExpert to activate remote window close. Oddly enough, even with a new battery in the remote, I have to hit the lock button repeatedly to get the sunroof and windows to close. I have the older 2-button remote. Both of my remotes do this.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:26 PM
thewizz
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a '04 R53 (11/03 build) and the BC1.C03 module. It already had remote window open programmed (push and hold unlock button), and I used NCSExpert to activate remote window close. Oddly enough, even with a new battery in the remote, I have to hit the lock button repeatedly to get the sunroof and windows to close. I have the older 2-button remote. Both of my remotes do this.
On my '02 R50(Build 02/02), I have been able to get the windows to open when I push the remote open, but I cannot get them to close even trying to hit the lock button repeatedly. Has anyone figured this out for R50/R53?

Also, is there a setting for the speed overestimation for the R50? I haven't been able to find anything that appears to be it?

Lastly, I was trying to enable daytime running lights but I have had no luck. Has anyone been able to do this?

Has anyone tried putting together a spread sheet for the R50/R53's like GTECKO put together for the R56?

Has anyone else had issues with NCS Expert being in German?

Thanks all! Great threads, I have learned a lot!

Old 02-25-2016, 06:02 PM
matthoef
2nd Gear
Anyone in the Vegas area that has the cable and software? The only computers we have are Mac and I'd really rather not have to find some POS old laptop just to be able to do this stuff.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:31 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Just to dig up something old again - I finally got the fog lights to stay on with high beams, using NCSExpert on my R53.

I changed this line in the BC1 as follows:

FRONT_FOG_NAS
nicht_aktiv

I suppose NAS stands for "North American Spec", turning it off puts the front fog lights into rest of world (ROW) mode.

Hope this helps someone in need.
That cracked me up!

I need to check all the setting with NAS keyword. It is a sign of bastardized setting for sensible European design. Because of our DOT (dead on track) we cannot have nice things.

I have a MB Sprinter but alas it is a NAFTA model, as the German would refer it. May be our president can do something good soon - no politicking intended here.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:30 PM
pnwR53S
my 05 MCS progress so far

Just want to chime in on my progress so far since I got the NCS Expert and the new cable to function this morning. I did have to solder together pin 7 and 8 on the cable's OBD connector.

So far my successes and setbacks:
Enabled front fog light retrofit.
Enabled rear fog light retrofit.
Disabled front fog NAS - so the front fog light stay on when high beams are on
Enabled European emergency double flash.
Enabled driver side auto up.
Enabled passenger side auto up - but it does not work.

I am still looking for how to enable the factory alarm retrofit.
I am working to enable remote windows auto down.
I am working to enable remote windows auto up.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:30 AM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Just want to chime in on my progress so far since I got the NCS Expert and the new cable to function this morning. I did have to solder together pin 7 and 8 on the cable's OBD connector.

So far my successes and setbacks:
Enabled front fog light retrofit.
Enabled rear fog light retrofit.
Disabled front fog NAS - so the front fog light stay on when high beams are on
Enabled European emergency double flash.
Enabled driver side auto up.
Enabled passenger side auto up - but it does not work.

I am still looking for how to enable the factory alarm retrofit.
I am working to enable remote windows auto down.
I am working to enable remote windows auto up.
So far I only been playing with changing settings (coding) in BC1, as it contains most of the features that I want to change, and least likely to cause problems. My 05 R53 has no sunroof and was built in circa Jun 04. I have BC1.C03 BCM. Alarm is enabled now and I tested all the functions short of tripping the door open switches.

Two areas that still elude me are comfort features for the windows:
1) Passenger window auto up does not work. From all the threads that I read, folks with 04 and earlier seems to have no problem getting this to work. So too are report of 06 works, but no 05 works.
2) My Mini has comfort closing with key in lock from new. However, I cannot get comfort closing with key in lock to work.
3) I cannot get comfort window opening or closing to work with the remote key fob. It seems to me most people got these to work are with the 04 and before 2-button key fob.

On the other modules, the only thing I want to change at this time is to switch on the audible gong at low fuel level. I would like to improve the accuracy of the speedometer over the common -5% reported speed. There are a few variables for pulses per km which obviously are for calculate distance from the ABS wheel sensors, though I suspect will not take changes.

Lastly, I am using v38 R50 daten. I have v40 but I suspect changing to the newer daten would not make any difference; but who knows when it comes to software.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:04 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
the modules may have older software loaded on them and that would cause differences in behavior

could try updating the module software with ista/p

Old 06-16-2017, 09:17 AM
pnwR53S
can one update module software?

Originally Posted by mega72
the modules may have older software loaded on them and that would cause differences in behavior

could try updating the module software with ista/p
Thanks for your input. I am pretty new to this. I am under the impression that one cannot update the module software - at least not without some risk.

I infer BC1.C03 denotes mine is C03 version. I have spent considerable time browsing C05, C06, and C07 parameters in NCS Dummy. The later versions has increasing parameters, but it appears to be more on how NCS Dummy presents the different versions.

When I load my trace file into NCS Dummy against say C03 picked from the module list, I get much fewer translated entries than if I pick a newer version.

I also get hundreds of unresolved parameters, but I suspect it is just NCS Dummy has very little scrubbing as the user base is so much smaller than the BMW proper.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:46 AM
pnwR53S
reading between the lines

Before proceeding to more drastic hack, I am spending more time studying the entries more carefully. You cannot just rely on the translations and decoding by the NCS Dummy. What I found is there are often subtle differences translation and decoding of what the entries mean when you select different versions of the module.

I try to think like an newby engineer that has just been throw into the pool to figure out how to swim, without instructor nor documentation. There are a lot of similar and may be related entries. You can interpret them many different ways. To find out, there may not be much choices than to try out the permutations and keep detail record of what I change each time.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:12 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Thanks for your input. I am pretty new to this. I am under the impression that one cannot update the module software - at least not without some risk.
I updated mine, it was very easy, you need the dealer software I used ista p

Ncsdummy only works with the right version, dont try to force it to load the wrong setup for your version

I use ncsexpert by itself and edit the text file, dump your config and you can see what you can change, I dont use ncsdummy at all unless I dont know what a setting is, sometimes ncsdummy will say what it is or I'm off to google german translate

Old 06-16-2017, 11:20 AM
pnwR53S
small victory

I updated mine, it was very easy, you need the dealer software I used ista p

Ncsdummy only works with the right version, dont try to force it to load the wrong setup for your version

I use ncsexpert by itself and edit the text file, dump your config and you can see what you can change.
Because of the errors I see with NCS Dummy I am only using it as a decoder ring. It helped me a lot in my inference as to how different firmware version may handle the same bytes of data. I know the size of the entire data block was fixed from day one, but how the fields are used evolve over time with successive later versions.

I just uploaded some changes, and now the komfort windows closing is working when locking with the remote. Strangely komfort windows open when unlock with remote still does not work. Very soggy here on the driveway today so not too conducive to rapid hacking and testing iterations.

One touch up window on passenger side still does not work, and I suspect it is how it is - may be a lack of pinch sensor in the window regulator hardware for our NAS cars in certain production date range.

Will look into updating module firmware later after I bang my head on the wall too long.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:22 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
keep track of your changes, if you program the module the 2nd step is recoding it to default options so you'll have to reset all the stuff you have done

Old 06-16-2017, 11:26 AM
pnwR53S
keep track of your changes, if you program the module the 2nd step is recoding it to default options so you'll have to reset all the stuff you have done
I am keeping a detail readme.txt for each iteration of my uploads. A poor man's configuration control system. I create a new folder to keep the .MAN files with the corresponding readme.txt.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:45 AM
pnwR53S
pilot error

It pays to be careful. Still with the same upload that I did earlier this AM - only one today so far. A few changes are working.

Comfort closing of windows when lock with remote is working.
Comfort closing of windows when lock with key still works as from day 1.

I realize that I have the boot not fully close because I have an AC extension cord brought into the car to keep the laptop powered. Because when I lock the car it is not really lock.

Comfort opening of windows actually work now. I didn't hold the key in the lock long enough to satisfy the delay. Comfort opening of windows when unlock with the remote still does not work.

I switch off the low beam flash when alarm is triggered to save the Xenon light, and that change works.

I am getting nearly all the wishlist features working. Sadly the one that is most useful for me is 1 touch auto up passenger side window. I often drive with that window slightly open instead of the driver side so not to blow out of the eardrum. Our litigation happy culture is why we cannot have good things without some tenacity. Don't even get me started with flat mirror on the passenger side.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:41 PM
pnwR53S
more pilot error

I was an idiot!

With more careful testing, the remote comfort windows opening actually works. It just wasn't how I expect it to. When I unlock the car with the remote, I pressed and held the open button. That only unlock the driver side door - because I elected to unlock the passenger door and the boot with the second press. To activate the comfort open I have to first press once to unlock the driver door, then press and hold to unlock the passenger door and the boot, and also to activate the comfort opening of the windows.

Now I found Komfort on enabled all the comfort features I wanted. The only thing in my wishlist that is left is one touch passenger window up. It is either due to the missing pinch sensor of the regulator, or because my version of firmware in BC1 is coded to not support this function.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:32 AM
pnwR53S
speedo error correction

I been doing a bit more digging on if there is a way to correct the speedometer error. While there are the impulses per km (46463_imp/km in mine) in the KMB one can change, I suspected there is a lot more than that. There are calibration factors also and that the digital display likely is handled differently from the "analog" speedometer. I wasn't going to just mess with the impulses per km numbers.

The BMW guys has done some impressive work in this Bimmerforum thread. Our Gen 1 seems to be very similar to theirs.

Also it seems Gen2 MINI speedo design differs from Gen 1 in this NAM thread.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:19 PM
uhoh7
Neutral
TY so much for this thread. I ordered this cable:
Amazon Amazon

Also dug out a little XP laptop that used to run well.

Hope to learn to use them with my 2002 R53

Old 08-17-2017, 10:35 PM
cut7
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Anyone in the San Diego/Orange County area that would be willing to walk me though getting started? I have the cable, & I think I have the software properly loaded on my Windows tablet. I'm an engineer, & I'm pretty savvy with computers, but I wouldn't mind someone holding my hand the first time though (metaphorically speaking). I will come to you & buy you lunch, or dinner, or whatever. My car is a 2005 R53 JCW.

Last edited by cut7; 08-18-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:25 PM
astroblackr53
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been playing around with coding changes in NCS, however I seem to be hitting some issues where certain parameters don't seem to update 'KALTUEBERWACHUNG_IB2' is specifically one of them. I have used both NCS Dummy and regular ol Notepad to change this to 'nicht_aktiv' however it never wants to change.

I am using this in Windows XP, my BC1 module is *.c07 and many other parameters have updated just fine.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:21 PM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just got my cable today and will play around with it this weekend if possible. Looking forward to seeing what is possible.

Quick Reply: Electrical R53 NCS Expert Guide Add-In