North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Electrical (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical-194/)
-   -   Electrical Rear Fog Light Switch Plate and Toggle Switch Install (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/227264-rear-fog-light-switch-plate-and-toggle-switch-install.html)

colejd 03-27-2012 06:31 AM

Rear Fog Light Switch Plate and Toggle Switch Install

I have a 2008 Clubman S that I ordered without the rear fog light (RFL) option. I now want to install it and have purchased the replacement cover plate with the RFL icon and the toggle to fill the dummy switch spot. From the other threads I have read, my 2008 should have the RFL bulb and all wiring installed from the factory. I also realize that after the plate and switch are installed that I need to have the car programed to activate the feature. I hope to get a vendor at MOTD to do this.

I have read a number of threads here, dating over many years, about having to remove nearly half the dash to just replace the switch cover plate and toggle switch. I noted one posting saying just the cover plate can be carefully pried off and the switch installed. Could someone post how to just replace the cover plate and new switch without having to tear apart my dashboard? Also what is the latest consensus on what software is capable of activating the RFL on a 2008? Thanks.

WayMotorWorks 03-27-2012 07:39 AM

You have to take the whole thing out to install the switch, no way around it, and yes it is a pain.

I will be doing this to my clubman this weekend. But I'm only installing the switch and programming it.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/rear-fo...7-r58-r59.html

I will be programming these at MOTD too.

colejd 03-27-2012 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks (Post 3479961)
You have to take the whole thing out to install the switch, no way around it, and yes it is a pain.

I will be doing this to my clubman this weekend. But I'm only installing the switch and programming it.

I had heard there was an easier way but maybe there isn't. What year is your Clubman. How much time would it take to install the cover and switch the way you mention? Please post the details of how the programming goes (time, difficulty).

blay 03-28-2012 01:47 PM

I recently did my 09 R56 starting with the lengthy procedure only to find out it was wrong. It had me taking a lot of stuff apart that was totally unnecessary. Seems that maybe the dashboard construction got modified to make disassembly simpler.
IIRC, you just need to remove the trim on each side of the upright piece that holds the radio and switches. No need to remove the speedo trim and all that other stuff.
Yes, you probably could just pry out the switch cover and snap the new one in. Thats exactly what I thought once I got in there. Look closely at the piece you're installing and notice the location of the clips that hold it in. Then you'll see where to attack the existing piece.

colejd 04-15-2012 04:23 AM

Way,

How did the installation and programming go? If I brought the plate and switch could you do the install at the Dragon?

-=gRaY rAvEn=- 04-15-2012 05:23 AM

Can reprogramming be done in the earlier R56's by just changing a single line of code ?

When I saw this being done to a friends 2011 R56 I was told ( at least for the newer models ) changing a single line in a string was not possible and a total reflash was necessary.

WayMotorWorks 04-15-2012 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by colejd (Post 3492504)
Way,

How did the installation and programming go? If I brought the plate and switch could you do the install at the Dragon?

Got it done and did 4 other cars already, So yes we can do it at the Dragon, just email me to set up a time.

Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=- (Post 3492519)
Can reprogramming be done in the earlier R56's by just changing a single line of code ?

No you have to program a couple modules for it to work.

automan21 04-24-2012 09:07 AM

You can just pop off the part where the switches go. Push the new toggle switch and your done. No need to take the whole dash apart. I did it in 10mins. just use a small pick and pull from the bottom of the panel. To the op if you want pm me and I will send you pics on where to pry from.

MCS Fever 04-24-2012 09:17 AM

Program just for fog lights - no wonder they have 22 some computers in today's cars. Glad we ordered it up front, would not take mine apart to add it. When we looked into added comfort access that was impossible.

automan21 04-24-2012 12:01 PM

I just left my 2011 MCS at the dealer for the recall. While there I asked since it would take them 4 hrs (quoted by SA) if they could code my car for the rear fogs. They called me back just now saying 1-my car ist done yet and 2-its not possible to code the car. They also said that for the rear fog to work they would have to hardwire it to the parking lights????? WTH?!?
I will post pics and how to's for removing the switch cover to install the toggle switch when I get the car back.

automan21 04-24-2012 02:30 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Ok as promised, feel free to bash my picture taking ability lol.
First get a set of these and just use the Captain Hook one(3rd from left)
Attachment 170952
Then just slide it under the left or right side till it catches and gets behind the plastic cover.
Attachment 170953
Attachment 170954
Try to put equal pressure on both sides when pulling. Just pull enough to pop that side out a bit.
Attachment 170955
This is what you will have when both sides are popped out evenly.
Attachment 170956
this is how it looks after the cover is out.
Attachment 170957
heres the cover
I have the toggle in there and just trying to get it programmed by anyone.
Then putting it back on just evenly line up and push back till it snaps.
sorry again for the sideways pics.
It took me like 2mins to pop off the cover, snap the toggle in and pop cover back on.

F450HarleyMini 04-24-2012 03:10 PM

Great job automan, you just saved me a trip to the dealer. If I need more help I will PM you. Thanks.

fox718 04-24-2012 05:18 PM

So has anyone had any luck with the programing? I asked the dealer today and they told me some wiring is involved, but everything else I've seen suggests it's just the switch and the code.

schatzy62 04-24-2012 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by fox718 (Post 3499072)
So has anyone had any luck with the programing? I asked the dealer today and they told me some wiring is involved, but everything else I've seen suggests it's just the switch and the code.

It depends on the year of your car. As of the 2011 model year they started leaving out some of the wiring required for upgrades such as this if it was not ordered at the factory.

Let us know what year your car is and hopefully we can assist you further.

fox718 04-24-2012 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by schatzy62 (Post 3499093)
It depends on the year of your car. As of the 2011 model year they started leaving out some of the wiring required for upgrades such as this if it was not ordered at the factory.

Let us know what year your car is and hopefully we can assist you further.

:roll: I have a 2011 and just picked up my toggle switch today. Guess, I didn't research this enough... So what kind of wiring are we talking about?

automan21 04-24-2012 06:47 PM

I have a 2011 and all the wiring is there so are the bulbs. I put the toggle in the space on the console and told the dealer to program it and they said it can only be done by hardwiring it to the taillights ????? I'm guessing they don't know what to look for in the programming. So I'm currently looking for someone with NCS expert that can hook me up. I will gladly pay that person instead of the dealer lol

F450HarleyMini 04-25-2012 05:09 PM

Got mine done today ( toggle switch, Blak jack LED rear fog), toggle plate coming from Europe next week but installed back the old one for now. The LED plug pictured below from Outmotoring is different from the OEM, Question # 1 - Did you "LED guys" slice the wire or got an adaptor plug for it. I want to keep the OEM plug in place just in case I decide to go back to the cheaper OEM rear fog light. The LED is twice the cost of OEM. I went to near by MINI dealer and the advisor was saying something to the effect that reflash might not turn the light on because they did a similar R56 and only to find out that there was no power behind the toggle switch for the rear fog hence they have to hard wire to side marker light. I don't like hard wire so I will find another dealership or wait till I get to Fontana for WayWorks to re-flash.
Question #2 Is it possible for Mini Factory to prewire the 2 rear fog light at the back bumper and yet forgot to/ refuse to run the wire all the way to the toggle switch point. I have the 2 wires/plug hanging on my rear bumper so I want to think that re-flash should be the only thing left to do. Any way to confirm ? Thanks
http://www.outmotoring.com/images/P/...jack_rr_md.gif

LarriB 04-25-2012 07:37 PM

If you have front fog lights, do you need a new switch? My fog switch goes up and down.

Thanks

F450HarleyMini 04-26-2012 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by LarriB (Post 3500051)
If you have front fog lights, do you need a new switch? My fog switch goes up and down.

Thanks

LarryB,
Yes you need one toggle switch for the front fog "EYE" and another toggle switch for the rear fog. Silly I Think !!!!

F450HarleyMini 04-26-2012 01:19 PM

Got my rear fog light re-flash done today by J.C. Auto, NY

What an easy job for J.C auto repairs in Scarsdale, NY 10583. Crew were nice , hospitable and professional with years of Mini Cooper & European auto experience. I will recommend them anyday for anyone in the Tri-State New York in-need of service and tunning. They installed and re-flashed my after market rear fog LED lights, way brighter than the OEM and at a reasonable labor rate. Check web below:
http://jcautorepairs.com

Ask to speak to John the owner or Mike the advisor.

automan21 04-26-2012 01:31 PM

What year do u have again?^^^^^
Is that a mini dealership?

F450HarleyMini 04-26-2012 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by automan21 (Post 3500599)
What year do u have again?^^^^^
Is that a mini dealership?

2008 R56 and it's not a mini dealership. Probably 10 miles from the Bronx.

automan21 04-26-2012 01:54 PM

Ahh that's the issue I have a 2011. I will contact them though.

automan21 04-26-2012 03:08 PM

Just emailed those guys, awaiting an answer. I doubt they will be able to though.

fox718 04-27-2012 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by automan21 (Post 3500652)
Just emailed those guys, awaiting an answer. I doubt they will be able to though.

Can you keep us posted? I'm in the same exact boat as you. A new toggle and a 2011...