Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Xenon control unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:34 PM
awoodward
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a xenon headlight assembly (driver side ) listed on ebay. From an '03 Cooper S. It doesn't work but I do have an igniter included. Everything is there, the arm on the washer pump, that opens the little door, broke during removal, so it will need to be replaced. I was about 10 degrees in my garage when I pulled it. I was going to try to repair myself, but figured I had neither the skill or patience to do it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-Mini-Cooper-S-Xenon-Headlight-Assembly-/190852791382?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6fb67c56&vxp=mtr

Old 12-25-2013, 04:44 AM
Challo
Neutral
Rather then take apart the whole headlight, could you not just cut the wires to the igniter and splice in a new one?

Old 12-25-2013, 11:51 AM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by awoodward
I have a xenon headlight assembly (driver side ) listed on ebay. From an '03 Cooper S. It doesn't work but I do have an igniter included. Everything is there, the arm on the washer pump, that opens the little door, broke during removal, so it will need to be replaced. I was about 10 degrees in my garage when I pulled it. I was going to try to repair myself, but figured I had neither the skill or patience to do it.

' 03 Mini Cooper s Xenon Headlight Assembly | eBay
May I recommend a camera that isn't a potato.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:15 PM
JRS_r50
Neutral
For anyone interested, I have an igniter for an '03 that I'd like to sell. $75 shipped. These are hard to find and much cheaper than buying a whole headlight assembly.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:44 PM
gorby
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2004 MCS and need to replace the Xenon ignitor and cap assy. The Bently manual is of little help. I would appreciate some clue less I break more. tnx, geo

Last edited by gorby; 04-14-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: forgot to include Xenon
Old 04-14-2014, 07:52 PM
gorby
1st Gear
Slicing Ignitor

Originally Posted by silentservice703
Yes, Virginia, you can change the ignitor on a first generation (X53) Mini Cooper S Xenon headlight.

The ignitor is about $86.00 on eBay.

It's a good long day of work, but better than $500.00 for a new headlight assembly!

Success! I used the reccomendation of a 200*F oven and the twice baked method...lol
Using a paint can lid opener. I worked my way around the lens. This is not an operation for the feint of heart! Once the lens is off, you must remove the reflector...this is a bit tricky as there are actually three screws buried in the goo at the 2 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions. These screws can be meticulously cleaned and removed before or after removing the reflector. I did mine after, simply because I did not know any better. The screws hold onto a "C" shaped leg of the reflector...they are impossible to see unless you remove all the sealent, but there is a tell-tale that they are there if you look at the perimeter of the housing...there is an extension of the mold in the form of a quater inch line at each of the three legs of the reflector. Directly above those lines are the screws. They use a small hex key or torx. I pried my lens legs out of the screw cavity and then cleaned and removed the screws...use heat to keep things flexible.

Now the headlight aiming reflector must be removed. There are two screws that hold the adjuste in place. I drilled holes in th ehousing immediately above those screws in order to effect the removal. I don't reccomend trying to pry the adjuster ball out of the snap clip...they break and you're screwed. With that reflector out of the way, simply unscrew the ignitor from the headlight housing, install the new one, and reassemble.

A word of caution: not all ignitors have the same length cabling! I had to splice my used wires ontothe new ignitor to have sufficient lenght. The cables should be 11.5-12 inches long.

The guy I dealt with on eBay was absolutely excellent and has a good used product.

My ignitor is OK. I bought a used ignitor w cap assy. It is the cap I want to replace (which I carelessly damaged), but I'm concerned abt the "full day" job. In your post you mentioned splicing the wires. In theory that would work for me except I'm concerned that a splice involves dealing with carbon wires (like ignition wires). Are they a big deal to splice. Of course, a crimped connector would be a no brainer

Old 04-14-2014, 08:31 PM
gorby
1st Gear
I would love to see the photos, even though a splice is the path of least resistance in my case. geo

Old 02-13-2018, 11:05 AM
tater500
Neutral
fyi, the part number for the igniter is from a bmw e46, at least the one with a part number on the black box of 1 307 329, 63 12 6 907 504