North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Electrical (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical-194/)
-   -   Electrical Cigarette lighter socket not working, fuse ok.. (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/214310-cigarette-lighter-socket-not-working-fuse-ok.html)

SooperCuperErik 07-18-2011 05:56 PM

Cigarette lighter socket not working, fuse ok..

So, am I stupid, or does the front and rear 12v socket share a fuse? F42 20amp?

What I believe happened is this winter I had my phone charger plugged into the front cig plug. The floor mats were wet from snow, and I believe while I was driving the plug fell onto the mat. Next time I went to use it I realize my phone wasn't charging. Figured the water shorted it and the fuse blew, like it should.

Well today months later I get to trying to fix it, only to find the fuse is ok. Out of curiosity I tested the rear socket, no problem. I didn't try the phone charger, but a led flashlight. Charges in the rear but not the front.

Any ideas? I haven't checked the wires under the socket as its dark already now and this was a matter of 5 min ago. So I'll have to investigate when I have some time, but I figured I would pick ur guys brains first.

MP1.6T 07-18-2011 08:08 PM

Should be same fuse

My son reported/confirmed both front and rear plugs were dead on my 2010. Looking on NAM to confirm which fuse it was (after looking at the worthless fuse box pictograms and owner's manual), I pulled it (20A), and indeed found it blown. Replaced fuse. Don't have car here, but F42 sounds right--the first of a number of 20A fuses in the lower half of a vertical column; pictogram had what looked like a diagram of a positive terminal. Tested front plug anyway with a charger with an LED indicator built in, and since then all fine.

ChefTyler 07-18-2011 08:34 PM

Fuse F42 is indeed for the cigarette lighter and rear charging socket. This thread lists the fuses.

HRM 07-19-2011 03:15 AM

Inside the plug are contacts. One at the bottom, and two "wings" that touch the sides of anything plugged in. With my mini, the wings were bent and didn't flex inward enough to touch the lighter. If you disconnect the battery, you can use a screwdriver to bent them a bit, if not your finger (if you have kung fu grip) or something wood like a popsicle stick can be used. Just bend one or both a tiny bit and you may be good to go.

SooperCuperErik 07-19-2011 05:27 AM

@MP 1.6T thank you for confirming that both the front and rear are the same fuse.

@Chef, I know about the list thanks. Thats where I found F42, but wanted to confirm that both the front and rear shared a fuse, since my rear works but the front doesnt, now I can eliminate the fuse issue and move onto the actual cigarette lighter unit.

@HRM Thanks for the suggestion, this was my next plan of action. I had briefly looked at the inside of the cylinder and saw the contacts and looked fine at first, but again it was pretty dark at this point so I didn't dig too far. Sometimes you also find (at least in the old days, yet I'm an 80's child so, not so old), but when cell phone chargers first came out for like the old motorolla startek's etc, they had a plastic spacer that would keep the charger centered if needed. Sometimes these would get stuck/forgotten inside the cig plug and other charger units wouldn't line the contacts correctly. I will update when I get a chance to look at it

Pirate007 08-14-2011 02:15 PM

on a similarly related question... Just got my MINI and I'm wondering.. is the power socket (in front of the shifter) supposed to have a cover? Mine doesn't.. it's just an open hole... Surely that's not right.. ?? and if they do NOT come with a cover/cap.. what is everyone else using?

Minidrivr 08-14-2011 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pirate007 (Post 3341204)
on a similarly related question... Just got my MINI and I'm wondering.. is the power socket (in front of the shifter) supposed to have a cover? Mine doesn't.. it's just an open hole... Surely that's not right.. ?? and if they do NOT come with a cover/cap.. what is everyone else using?

It either has a cig lighter or no cover. I use the same cover the rear 12v socket uses. They are cheap. Some folks keep small rechargeable flashlights in there too.

rkw 08-14-2011 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pirate007 (Post 3341204)

All MINI are delivered from the factory with a lighter or cap. Perhaps the previous owner was using it to power electronics and lost the original piece. I believe that the lighter was standard until very recently (replaced by a cap). The part numbers can be found here: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...37&hg=61&fg=35 and you can purchase a replacement from a MINI dealer.

http://realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/b/y/136.png

Pirate007 08-14-2011 04:23 PM

Ahhh.. makes perfect since.. Thx!! I'll find something to, plug it...:thumbsup:

SooperCuperErik 08-18-2011 11:25 AM

yea you can find a generic cap at radio shack if you need to.

Also, I lifted the console a week back, and to my 'not so surprise', I definitely didn't plug it back in after doing my radio install. It works like new now.

Hind327 01-28-2013 08:37 AM

Thanks for the info, mine were non working. My fuse was F32 on a '06 MCS.

frresh 12-05-2013 05:46 PM

My front and rear power outlets no longer charge

My front and rear power outlets no longer charge. I went to plug my phone in and nothing lit up, so I unplugged the power cord from the lighter and the whole lighter socket came out with it. Drove to the Mini dealer and was told I need the whole thing replaced. But half way home, I stopped to use the rear power outlet and that did not charge either. Are the front and rear outlets connected on the same circuit? So if one goes out then the other wont work either? Anyone know what the heck I should do?:eek2:

gwraff 01-11-2014 02:48 PM

I have a 2010 clubman and had the front and rear cig lighter power outlets not working. Changing fuse 44 (not 42) which was blown fixed it. It's a 20A fuse. Pretty easy to change and access the fuse box on the passenger side footwell.

Jeff Rayburn 01-21-2019 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by gwraff (Post 3865419)
I have a 2010 clubman and had the front and rear cig lighter power outlets not working. Changing fuse 44 (not 42) which was blown fixed it. It's a 20A fuse. Pretty easy to change and access the fuse box on the passenger side footwell.

Thanks for your post. Had the same issue and was simple as replacing the fuse 44 with a 20A fuse. :)

Joey Garner 08-11-2019 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by MP1.6T (Post 3325812)
My son reported/confirmed both front and rear plugs were dead on my 2010. Looking on NAM to confirm which fuse it was (after looking at the worthless fuse box pictograms and owner's manual), I pulled it (20A), and indeed found it blown. Replaced fuse. Don't have car here, but F42 sounds right--the first of a number of 20A fuses in the lower half of a vertical column; pictogram had what looked like a diagram of a positive terminal. Tested front plug anyway with a charger with an LED indicator built in, and since then all fine.

Cig lighter problum!!!
Ok so I was having the same problem except my back 12 volt power the back worked my front one didn't so I plugged in my my inverter and it kept giving me an error and I'm thinking this is polarity it's got to be polarity that plug that goes on that lighter can go either way it can go power in the middle or power where the ground supposed to be on the outside mine was reversed I don't know how it got like that I don't know who did it when it was done but I just changed it and they both work even a little light on the ring so try it my help might not just trying to help

JcwGreg 09-04-2021 12:43 PM

I also have the same issue. I changed the fuse and nothing. I removed some screw for the center console and pulled out the cig lighter. I changed the fuse plugged in my charger flicked the cig lighter and to my surprise it arch out. I can't seem to figure out how it's doing that. Even if I remove the charger, change out the fuse again, start the car plug in the charger is arch out time and time again. Either I need a new cig lighter or I have a bad ground. Can't seem to pinpoint this one.

Anyone have this issue befor??