Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Retrofit Chrono Pack

Old 04-02-2011, 01:21 PM
MyMiniGidget
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you put the original one back in it syncs with the bcu because the vins match. And some sleaze probably could use it to roll back the odometer, but a computer would show the vins are different. So he would have to sell the car to someone who wouldn't get the car inspected first

Old 05-14-2011, 07:51 PM
firehawk618
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MyMiniGidget
When you put the original one back in it syncs with the bcu because the vins match. And some sleaze probably could use it to roll back the odometer, but a computer would show the vins are different. So he would have to sell the car to someone who wouldn't get the car inspected first
Well I put about 100 miles on with the chrono pack then put back the stock speedo and it didn't update to correct miles. It resumed the miles where it left off when it was pulled out.

I pulled codes off all modules in the car and I get no errors at all.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:27 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
firehawk618,

When you installed the Chrono Kit parts, did you also have to install an oil temperature sensor? I'm trying to figure out exactly how the Chrono Kit figures out the oil temperature.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:30 PM
firehawk618
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
firehawk618,

When you installed the Chrono Kit parts, did you also have to install an oil temperature sensor? I'm trying to figure out exactly how the Chrono Kit figures out the oil temperature.
That has been discussed in another thread.

The oil temp is fake, it's just what the computer thinks the temp is.

No I didn't install one, yes the gauge worked fine in my car.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:45 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by firehawk618
That has been discussed in another thread.

The oil temp is fake, it's just what the computer thinks the temp is.

No I didn't install one, yes the gauge worked fine in my car.
That's interesting. So either there's no factory oil temp sender at all, or there's one in ALL of the cars, even the ones without the Chrono Kit, possibly used by the car's computer for some other purpose.

If there is no sender and the oil temperature is completely derived, then I'm impressed by the algorithm that's used to estimate the oil temperature. It's not tied directly to coolant temperature, because the oil temperature indication takes a LOT longer to stabilize than the engine coolant temperature, which is to be expected, since the oil system doesn't have an coolant-type thermostat to keep the oil in the engine block until it's warmed up to normal temperature.

I'll do an experiment this weekend, since my wife's car needs an oil change anyway. I'll drive it around until the oil temperature stabilizes, then park the car for fifteen minutes. At the end of fifteen minutes, I'll record the reading on the oil temperature gauge. Then I'll drive it around until the oil temperature has stabilized again, park the car and change the oil. Fifteen minutes after I shut it down for the oil change, I'll dump in the fresh room-temperature oil, start the car and record the oil temperature reading.

If the oil temperature gauge is truly a "faked" measurement, then the second reading should be pretty much the same as the earlier reading (when it was parked for fifteen minutes with hot, dirty oil in it.) But if the oil temperature gauge reads much lower the second time, then the reading is at least partially based on the actual oil temperature, rather than being a complete guesstimate.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:50 PM
chrisreese
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2006 MCS with standard gauge set. I purchased a used Chrono Pack gauge set (both center and column gauges). I got everything installed and all the gauges work great! The only issue I have is that the DSC and Tire Pressure lights stay on but they don't stay on with the original gauges in place. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:16 PM
banzairx7
2nd Gear
Glad to see they are working better for you than me.

This might help- http://www.minicarparts.net/TechTips...TPMS-Reset.cfm

Old 07-26-2011, 09:22 PM
SuprCoop
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My understanding, from watching a PSMINI member try this, is that once installed in your car, the central unit (speedo/nav/chrono) matches itself to your VIN. That cannot be changed, and that's probably why the lights are on, indicating that it wasn't originally installed in your car. He could never get the lights to go out or was able to reset it so it would match up to the original mileage/VIN of his car.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:33 AM
chrisreese
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I understand that the mileage and the vin won't match up. I see that Firehawk618 seems to have got it to work without the DSC and Tire Pressure lights staying on, at least it looks that way from his picture. However, he hasn't been on here since last month, so I haven't been able to ask him what he did.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:04 AM
SuprCoop
3rd Gear
From what he said in the PSMINI forums, he gave up on the project because he couldn't get everything to work right and put the parts up for sale.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:06 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just a question guys, i really like the chrono package. what items do i need to order, (cluster,wires, etc)? is it like plug and play? or do you have to rewire something? many thanks!

Old 11-18-2011, 10:19 AM
SuprCoop
3rd Gear
My understanding is that you need to purchase a brand new (never used) Chrono Pack. And it should be plug and play

Old 11-18-2011, 10:20 AM
SuprCoop
3rd Gear
Actually, you may have to have the software tweaked as well since it's not reading your original unit...

Old 11-18-2011, 06:02 PM
jdub2k5
2nd Gear
someone needs to set it up so I can still have the large speedometer and a small one... cause thats how I role

Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 PM
EUNOS96
Neutral
can the chrono pack be retro-fit to a 2002 mini cooper S with NAV? I have an opportunity to get the gauge pod from a chrono and i already have a tach/speedo in the proper place from the NAV model.

Last edited by EUNOS96; 02-03-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:28 AM
SuprCoop
3rd Gear
Unfortunately no. I followed another thread of this, and after much trying and troubleshooting, he was able to get some of the functions to work, but that central unit (nav/speedo/chrono) is the main computer system for our speedometers, etc. It's coded to your vehicles VIN, and if it doesn't match, you'll get constant error lights, etc. And it can't be re-coded (at least not that I've seen successfully). The only good option is to buy the unit new if you can still find one.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:47 PM
KMalinich
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SuprCoop
Unfortunately no. I followed another thread of this, and after much trying and troubleshooting, he was able to get some of the functions to work, but that central unit (nav/speedo/chrono) is the main computer system for our speedometers, etc. It's coded to your vehicles VIN, and if it doesn't match, you'll get constant error lights, etc. And it can't be re-coded (at least not that I've seen successfully). The only good option is to buy the unit new if you can still find one.
You can activate it with NCS Expert but I don't know what'll happen.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 PM
ebnewt
Neutral
I'm pretty interested in moving from the standard center mounted speedo to the chrono pack. I have NCS Expert and am going to order the cable. How does one go about coding a new chrono pack with your vin? Does anyone here know? Would Way know?

Old 02-22-2013, 02:58 AM
scf
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
So in my recent ventures into NCSExpert, I found a setting for the navi/chrono packs. I'll look again today and find where it was.

*edit* - the values are in KMB. I see navi, but still looking for chrono.

Last edited by scf; 02-22-2013 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:11 AM
SuprCoop
3rd Gear
This thread has me interested in NCSExpert, going to have to follow that thread to see what options I can enable for my car. Keep us posted, you actually have me a bit hopeful!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:48 AM
ebnewt
Neutral
Originally Posted by scf
So in my recent ventures into NCSExpert, I found a setting for the navi/chrono packs. I'll look again today and find where it was.

*edit* - the values are in KMB. I see navi, but still looking for chrono.
I think we knew about the existence of the chrono pack setting in the car (I think).

The part I'm more concerned about is getting the VIN into the Chrono instrument cluster itself (and possibly the odo setting). Unless of course you plug the Chrono pack in and access the cluster's VIN THROUGH the car's chrono pack settings....?

Previously I was under the assumption that you had to plug the Chrono cluster itself into a computer with NCS and program the VIN in that way. I havent the faintest idea because I have yet to hold a stock gauge, nav or a Chrono cluster in my hand.

Anyone have a NAV, stock speedo gauge or chrono cluster sitting around they can plug into and look at with NCS? Or is that not how it works....?

Old 07-03-2013, 03:05 AM
iMat2.9
Neutral
Sorry to dig up an old thread. I've been playing around with removing my Chrono pack and adding a Nav unit to the dash. (not retrofitting the whole Nav package, but replacing the screen with a 6.5" touchscreen with hdmi input/Car PC setup). I have a 2nd hand Nav central unit with vin coded to donor car and I have a new virgin one on its way.

I have tried fitting the 2nd hand unit and aside from it displaying the incorrect milage, the other issues encountered were my car is in km/h and the display had changed to mph, the indicator lights on my column mounted speedo have lights for each left and right turn signal, with the donor unit the rhs dash light would light for both left & right turn signals, the lhs light would light when high beams were on. I have seen some minis with differnt warning lights on the speedo that match the above.

Once the new central unit arrives, can this be coded to match my current speedo & tach warning lights?

Has anyone fitted a new nav/chrono central unit, if so what was the procedure for coding it to the car? Can it all be done in NCSExpert? or is other software required? I have the cable and most of the programs for coding etc.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:30 PM
sterlingarcher
1st Gear
Did you manage to get this to work?