Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Anyone using an Optima Battery in their Mini S

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:45 PM
MaxGSeeker
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fit an Optima 34M in the rear of my Clubman. Now I have two batteries!
It required some major mods - had to shave the corner of the spare tire well. But I still have room for the space saver tire inside, and the battery stays outside. Plenty of auxilliary power, and if the starter battery dies I can flip a switch and start with the rear.

Here you can see the back bumper serves as one side of the support.
The straps are for lifting and serve as a safety. I have steel brackets and an aluminum skid plate for primary retention. In the upper left you can see the Receiver from my Minidomore hitch. After adding almost 100 lbs to the Clubman rear I haven't noticed any loss of cornering performance. I can barely measure a 1/8 inch drop on the right rear body height, considering the 40 lbs of the Optima I think it was a success.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:07 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OptimaJim

If you have any other questions about our batteries, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
What about the blue?

Old 03-27-2010, 01:38 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OptimaJim
Hi BlueBonnet! BlueTops offer additional threaded top posts for marine applications, but are otherwise identical internally to their respective YellowTop and RedTop counterparts. All of our starting batteries can easily be identified by their dark gray cases. This would include all RedTops and the 34M BlueTop. All of our dual-purpose, deep-cycle/starting batteries can be identified by their light gray cases. This would include all of our YellowTops and group D27M, D34M and D31M BlueTops.

Our 60-lb group 31 battery is only available in BlueTops. If you aren't shopping for that specific battery, our YellowTops and RedTops can do everything their BlueTop counterparts do, with the added benefit of an additional year of factory warranty coverage. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Hi Jim, hey do you guy's have any plans on making some lightweight batteries? Or do you already have any? Thanks.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:51 PM
OLarry
Neutral
I was about to try an Optima battery in my 2004 Mini S but checking with Optima I find these batteries are now made in Mexico. That soured my desire for these batteries. Adobe bricks they can handle but little else .

Old 03-27-2010, 06:07 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by OLarry
I was about to try an Optima battery in my 2004 Mini S but checking with Optima I find these batteries are now made in Mexico. That soured my desire for these batteries. Adobe bricks they can handle but little else .
....hmm....something to think about now

Old 03-27-2010, 07:48 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Yeah...I once lived in CO were they had a plant just outside of Denver....moved away...forgot they closed the factory just before I moved away...when I saw mine was made in Mexico, it hit me like a lead brick, as I remembered the storys about them offshoring their production...I just hope the quality is still the same.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:57 AM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For your Optima research, perhaps this site will help.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:37 AM
OLarry
Neutral
Yeah...I once lived in CO were they had a plant just outside of Denver....moved away...forgot they closed the factory just before I moved away...when I saw mine was made in Mexico, it hit me like a lead brick, as I remembered the storys about them offshoring their production...I just hope the quality is still the same.
Sorry to hear about the plant closure, seems more and more U.S. companies are more about the bottom line than they are in preserving quality in their product and employing this country's work force. I try and research where products are made before purchasing.... it is getting more difficult to find a truly U.S. made product. One of these days it may be totally futile exercise except for fast food and who knows maybe the beef comes from Argentina.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:50 PM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
can someone link me to a 34c yellow top? I don't see them on the site. I see the 34r, but no 34c...

Old 04-06-2010, 08:37 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
well that's good to know. So if I go with the 34R, even though it's not vented I should be OK?

Old 04-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BillyCuth
.... So if I go with the 34R, even though it's not vented I should be OK?
Absolutely!

Rich

Old 04-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Hi OptimaJim

thanks for the help. You should also know that the battery location on the car is vented. It really depends on what the installer does with regard to the venting of the enclosure. One could tape it closed, or one could leave it open.

There are different locations for the battery depending on the configuration and generation of the car. Only one is "inside" the passenger compartment, and that is far from "enclosed" as well....

Matt

Old 04-26-2010, 04:57 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So, I notice that the Red Top in the 34 size has more CCA's, 1000 vs 870 at 32F (15% better). But that the Yellow Top has more Reserve Capacity, 120 vs 100 (20% better).

Which is really the better choice? I only have the HK stereo system and run a Garmin GPS, cell phone charger, and radar detector. And I may add some HID driving lights. But that's about it. And I live in the Silicon Valley. Am I better off with the Red or Yellow Top?

Old 04-26-2010, 06:15 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Red top is a starting battery....
If you want to let you car sit with the radio on for extented periods of time...get the yellow...just remember, there is no free lunch. The redtop is doing what it was desgined to do...work as a starting battery, and sometimes let you wash/wax you car with the stock radio.
If you had a big amp...the yellow would be a better choice, but I don't think the stock system will stress a redtop...it is afterall a battery on steroids, and it will do 200% of what the stock will do (not realy, but get the picture)(it is oversized, and is of a better construction than stock).

Old 04-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I've got a 34R Red Top

and I crank the radio while I work on the car, it does fine. What didn't work out too well was the Braille compact battery and listening to the radio in the driveway....

Really, till you get some serious aftermarket thumpin bass amps, or if you like to light up the night sky with your headlights and driving lights, you don't NEED the yellow top.

Matt

Old 06-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
So, based on the input here, I picked up a 34R Red Top, but I can't quite get the + connection on. It is too far over for the + terminal to reach, as there are other connections coming off the side that interfere with the side of the battery body. Am I missing something here?

Help!

Old 06-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Here's what mine looks like

Are you sure you have a 34R?

Rich

Old 06-06-2010, 03:16 PM
kazlot
4th Gear
Optima Red Top 34R

After looking at the pictures my suggestion is to exchange it for the proper model.

The differences are:

Label placement
Lack of model number
Connections for side terminals

Hope this helps...

Edit: Your battery is the 78 model not the R model.

Last edited by kazlot; 06-07-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:31 AM
chorline
2nd Gear
Just ran into the same issue as Rich. Mine has 34R all over it.. bought it from Amazon as well. Received the battery and positive cable doesn't fit. Does anyone have the EXACT link to the battery on Amazon.com or elsewhere? Thanks!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:38 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
My 34r was a tight fit... I really had to work with the positive cable to get it to sit properly... But the one in the picture that's a 34/78, not a 34R says it right on the label... The terminals should be on the boot side of the battery, not the bonnett side...

Old 06-07-2010, 11:49 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
Old 06-07-2010, 12:09 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
With the proper 34R battery, you might need to mildly bend the cable connector....with the 34/78 pictured above, you will need to modify the cars cables...not recommended. Zooming in on the photo, it is not the right battery...as you can see in the picture, the 34R has different terminal placement, and it has the number molded into the plastic...and it says 34r, rather than 34/78, and the yellow sticker.
The 34r is a bit heavier than stock, but it's long life, relilability, and extra cranking power+reserve capicity makes it worthwhile IMO.
Edit...I got mine on amazon...free shipping made it cheaper than elsewhere too!!

Old 06-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Yeah, the battery I had was the wrong type. The place I got it from did not carry a 34R (even though I asked for one ), so I returned it today.

Found a different place (fleet rebuilder, of all places, in an industrial park) that carries Optima. He'll have one in tomorrow for me.

It sure is a lot tougher to get stuff up here. Amazon with free shipping... You guys are lucky.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chorline
Just ran into the same issue as Rich. ...
Mine simply went in. No problem at all. I didn't even need a spacer as the OEM battery hold-down held it nicely.

Rich

Last edited by Rich.Wolfson; 10-27-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:45 AM
sal45
1st Gear
Have a Red top 35 in mine!

Quick Reply: Electrical Anyone using an Optima Battery in their Mini S