Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Retrofitting the factory self dimming rearview mirror + Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 11:14 AM
HBondar
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Extranrg - Am I correct that the 4 female ends included 2 ar the mirror mole connector and 2 for connection to the fuse box. I assume they are different sizes.

Also, any reason not to splice into the passenger visor mirror leads for power and ground?

thanks for your reply!

Old 03-06-2017, 03:15 PM
extranrg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The female ends were all the same size. The installation required that the plug housings be removed, the connectors inserted in the correct locations and then the housings re-installed.

I know people have tapped into other power feeds. However, it appears that the mirror is then powered all the time unless you find a switched line. Using the retrofit instructions allows the mirror and homelink to operate only when the car is running, auto dim can be coded to turn off when in reverse (one of the leads attaches to the circuit running the parking sensors), and it also ties in (in a round about way) to the auto dim on the wing mirrors, if you have them.

Following the instructions in the retrofit doc gets you as close to an OEM install as you are going to get. It may also help someone troubleshoot problems that might arise in the future.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:47 AM
HBondar
2nd Gear
extranrg - thanks for the input. I agree. With little added effort it makes sense to do it right which is what I will do!

Old 03-08-2017, 02:27 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Yep, just follow the the links in the thread and the original pdf is a couple pages back.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-12-2017, 12:55 PM
HBondar
2nd Gear
Thanks for all who preceded me. i would like to pre-solder the wires ends before installing. Does anyone have a measurement on the length of the cable - tip to tip?

Old 03-13-2017, 02:50 PM
HBondar
2nd Gear
how does the passenger kick panel come off?

Old 03-20-2017, 10:07 AM
HBondar
2nd Gear
Extanrg - Thanks again for your help. I installed the mirror and have some comments and questions as a result.

1. First - I am impressed with the speed in which you performed this. I was not so quick. The biggest challenge for me was taking apart the x connectors to get the pins in. For other doing so be aware that really good lighting is a must as the two connectors at the fuse block have to be disassembled to insert the new pins. In addition the 18 pin and 52 pin connector are completely different in design and disassembly logic. The 52 pin connector has two pin blocks and you only need to slide out one. There is a small tab on the outside of the block you depress on this one and it comes right out. I don't clearly remember how the 18 pin one comes out - it was not as intuitive. Also, the 52 pin on has a swiveling yolk that needs to be rotated to get it out. This pin is easier to get in ad out if you remove the adjacent plug t its right(view=facing it)
2. My mirror is installed but not fully tested. The led light on the homelink works so I am assuming this capability is active but I have not yet found my garage door remote in order to program it. THE AUTODIP IS NOT YET VERIFIED - DOES ANYONE HAVE A DAYTIME METHOD TO TEST THIS?
3. A CURIOUS BYPRODUCT OF THIS INSTALL - I replaced a homelink/autodip mirror in a different car (2008 MCS) with an autodip only one and it seems to be slowly draining the battery. ANY IDEAS ON WHY THIS MAY BE? I thought it should have been plug and play?

HJBondar

Last edited by HBondar; 03-20-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:21 PM
Anthony Neff
Neutral
No Led Function

Is there any thing special that is required to start the Home link functions, the first time?

I've run the wire and connected the Pins but there appears to be no function in the mirror. I checked with a multi-meter that there is 12V between the two wires at the fuse box and the wire have continuity at the mirror but the LED is not showing function while the car is running. I will update later if the Auto dimming function is working, but based on tests with a flash light it does not appear to be doing anything.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:04 PM
spookie
Neutral
Hi,
i bought a homelink from ebay, i put on my mini.
Homelink work fine but dont work fob key, i cant lock and unlock from key,
My mini is cooper 2011 model

Please help, thank you

Old 07-04-2017, 03:08 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by spookie
Hi,
i bought a homelink from ebay, i put on my mini.
Homelink work fine but dont work fob key, i cant lock and unlock from key,
My mini is cooper 2011 model

Please help, thank you
What wire did you tap into? Undo that and run a test wire from cigarette lighter or other source to see if that works. Many cars have antenna for Key fob up in headliner, maybe you messed with the signal.

The following users liked this post:
spookie (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 03:30 PM
spookie
Neutral
jump pin 3 with pin 8
jump pin 5 with pin 10

Cigarette lighter work.
When i put old mirror, key fob work fine, when i put homelink key fob doesn't work.

Last edited by spookie; 07-04-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
If it works when you have a wire from lighter then you need to run a different line for power, at least this seems simplest to me. If you run a longer wire and put the mirror on the seat to test does the key fob work? If so then the HL mirror is interfering with the signal somehow. If you have the HL mirror mounted in place and wire from lighter does the key fob work? If so you need a different source of power than what you have tapped into.

I don't have any info on that mirror so pin info doesn't mean anything to me.

That's all I have. Check here https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/ for wiring diagrams.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:58 AM
spookie
Neutral
it doesn't work with wire from lighter
Key fob works only with old mirror

Old 07-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by spookie
it doesn't work with wire from lighter
Key fob works only with old mirror
Double check realoem.com diagrams for "mirror" on your car. I think you have the transmitter in your mirror for the key fobs. Not sure as I have different MINI's. If that is the case, maybe you can wire up the mirror/transmitter under the seat or in the glove compartment to keep it active. Worth a try, might be the only car with two rear view mirrors installed.

Or return it and do what I did, velcro on a mini garage door remote in the center console.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:16 PM
Anthony Neff
Neutral
Originally Posted by Anthony Neff
Is there any thing special that is required to start the Home link functions, the first time?

I've run the wire and connected the Pins but there appears to be no function in the mirror. I checked with a multi-meter that there is 12V between the two wires at the fuse box and the wire have continuity at the mirror but the LED is not showing function while the car is running. I will update later if the Auto dimming function is working, but based on tests with a flash light it does not appear to be doing anything.
Update. I switched the wires to the opposite of what the diagrams show and it works.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:43 PM
Mod-Mini
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Who knows what is the FA/VO (vehicle order) that should be programmed (using ncsexpert) to make this not auto-dim when in reverse?

Last edited by Mod-Mini; 12-22-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:27 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thats a good one, i dont think you can turn it off for reverse from what I have seen.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-23-2018, 07:54 PM
helmanps
Neutral
Fuse?

Hello. I made this upgrade to my 2012 Countryman. I needed to add the new wires to install a mirror with autodim and homelink.

At first, everything seemed to work OK. Now, the homelink does not work. I'm not sure about the autodim.

When I did the install, slot 32 of the fuse box was already populated with a 5A fuse. It looks like slot 32 is for the parking sensor... which is odd because my car does not have the parking sensor option. This fuse is still good. Is there another place that a fuse should have been added? Anyone know what fuse is used for the homelink?

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2018, 05:45 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 373 Posts
Compass questions

Last week I bought a 2013 Countryman S All4. It had the autodim mirror but no homelink. I found NAM and this thread then ordered a used mirror on eBay. The seller listed it as part number 51169302886. I installed it today without using any additional wiring. The homelink works perfectly. However, the compass doesn't work -- nothing is displayed. I now think that the mirror is not 51169302886 because on the back there is only the sorta football shaped hole but no small round hole.

So I have a couple of questions.
1. Do all of the mirrors with a compass include a smaller hole on the back?
2. Is the wiring adapter required for the compass to work? (I'm thinking that maybe I have an older version of mirror with compass.)
3. Anything I'm not considering?

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:23 AM
Mr. Klean
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I think all of these individual hiccups are very model and accessory-specific. I bought an '07 MCS last November that had some very specific features that I have not seen in other MCS's before. I bought a full JCW interior (w/ GP accents here and there) and full JCW exterior body kit (I don't like leaving things stock and I didn't have the patience to wait for a GP/JCW to come up for sale in my area). My car had the auto dimming feature, but no homelink and has side view mirror dimming. I bought a homelink and auto-dimming mirror from an '09 JCW MCS and just jumped the orange wire to the red wire (on the mirror) and everything works (homelink, auto dimmer and key fob).

So basically I jumped the #3 pin to the #8 on the mirror (PIA btw b/c the wires are so tiny and tight) and boom, DONE.

I hope that helps a little.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:43 AM
Julio Melendez
Neutral
Originally Posted by bratling
I have an auto dim mirror (no home link) I purchased from eBay, and the MINI retrofit kit (a wire, a fuse and a bunch of zip ties). I have installed the wiring, and added $431 to the VO for good measure, but my key fob no longer works. When I swap the stock mirror back in, it works fine.

I'm not sure if I have done something wrong, or perhaps the eBay mirror is just plain broken.

Anyone else do an upgrade from the standard mirror to autodim? If so, did you need to do anything other than the wiring to make it all work?
hi you actually have to open both mirrors you need to take the Smartboard out of your old mirror because it is linked up to your fob you need to swap that out with the Smartboard that is in the new mirror it's rather an easy swap reconnect everything as such you will see what I mean once you open both mirrors put back together the new mirror with the Homelink and all the compass now your fob will work with the mirror.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:46 AM
Julio Melendez
Neutral
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yep, that was the kit for the electrochromatic upgrade and it was for the R55 and R56 models.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Chromatic_Mirror_Retrofit_Wire/

61120416436 Part number Retrofit Wire - Int Mirrror EC And GTO

Here is the PDF file that is in German.

Zxfiles - did you use this for the compass / homelink / electrochromatic version upgrade?

Thanks
e-mail me as I can not seem to open here...
Elcubiche22@yahoo.com

Old 12-22-2018, 05:15 PM
ApexF60SE
2nd Gear
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
All, @ECS Tuning ,

I'm trying to do this with my '18 F60SE. My OE mirror has no features at all, and no wiring or plug at the top of the windshield. I've have the wiring diagram and looked for the plug but can't find the plug. It is the same one that mates to the socket in this picture from an earlier post in this thread:

Can someone point me to a part number for this 10-pin plug? @ECS Tuning, do you have this? I'd like to order a plug and the wires. TIA

Edit: Is it this one? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...g/61136909008/

Last edited by ApexF60SE; 12-22-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
That looks like it. With the T. I would get it and try it.
You are using https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...166821264~oem/ this mirror correct? Or one for an F60 or from an F60?

Old 12-24-2018, 03:53 PM
ApexF60SE
2nd Gear
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
That looks like it. With the T. I would get it and try it.
You are using https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...166821264~oem/ this mirror correct? Or one for an F60 or from an F60?
Yes, mirror from a 2017 F60 with homelink, compass, auto dim (Mine 2018). Looks exactly like the mount for existing mirror the the rectangular T socket as in the pic, mirror body about 1 cm thicker for housing the boards. There are only 4 wires going in: brown, blue, red, yellow. These match up to the diagram found here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ror/1VnXnocklw

Edit: plug and wires ordered.... TIA

Last edited by ApexF60SE; 12-24-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Electrical Retrofitting the factory self dimming rearview mirror + Homelink