North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Electrical (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical-127/)
-   -   Electrical H/K wiring question?? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/15671-h-k-wiring-question.html)

200mph 09-17-2003 08:41 AM

I bought all the parts and wiring connectors from a wrecking yard to retrofit the H/K system to my US spec Mini. No H/K specific wiring harnesses. The standard wiring wont work... not enough wires for all the H/K drivers.

Is anyone interested in taking the connectors and making up the harnesses from them? I dont have the time, nor do I have yards of twisted pairs or color-coded wire.

Or, if you replaced your H/K with an aftermarket setup, I'll buy any or all of your unaltered H/K wiring. The harnesses are:
head unit to amp
head unit to left door speakers
head unit to right door speakers
rear speakers to amp

Thanks.

GBMINI 09-17-2003 05:49 PM

Correction:
All speakers are wired to the amp, not the head unit.

Where are you?

I think you would find it easier to retrofit by running wires and making connectors in the car as you go, instead of having someone make a harness and trying to drop it into a built car.

200mph 09-18-2003 09:23 AM

Oops, right about the amp>speakers wiring.

Actually, the instructions (which I finally found) for the retrofit kit call for laying in a new harness, and it doesnt look that difficult... door panels and rear seat need to come out, etc.

The problem now is: MINI USA is saying that the H/K retorfit kit was designed and specced but not produced for sale.

Dos that mean that the harnesses I am looking for (and have BMW/MINI part #'s) dont exist?

Wondering is I can use an OE "hi-fi" harness??

I'm in NC.

02s79fj40 09-18-2003 09:33 AM

Whats the part number for the retrofit kit? I have access to the mini etk, and could tell you if the number is any good.If it's a good part number any dealer should be able to order it for you.

minihune 09-18-2003 09:39 AM

>>I think you would find it easier to retrofit by running wires and making connectors in the car as you go, instead of having someone make a harness and trying to drop it into a built car.

OK, 200mph-
It sounds like you have the stock audio. You wish to add HK upgrade aftermarket.
You have the HK hardware and wish to install it into your MINI?
You don't have the HK harness preinstalled.

So now you do have connectors for HK items from wrecking yard (poor MINI)
<<Is anyone interested in taking the connectors and making up the harnesses from them? I dont have the time, nor do I have yards of twisted pairs or color-coded wire.

For someone that really knows what they are doing this is OK and possible. for most of us it would be too time consuming for the labor. You'd be creating an HK wiring harness.

<<Or, if you replaced your H/K with an aftermarket setup, I'll buy any or all of your unaltered H/K wiring. The harnesses are:
head unit to amp
head unit to left door speakers
head unit to right door speakers
rear speakers to amp

In theory this sounds possible but the problem is that the HK harness is totally buried in the wiring of your MINI so people that have HK and upgrade to something better do not touch the HK harness and pull it out- that would be a total mess and very costly. So they leave the harness in and cable/wire around it.

I have been told by the MINI dealer that the labor to pull or install a full HK harness is expensive and time consuming. Further if you do not know what you are doing it can become a BMW wiring nightmare.
I don't like bad dreams so I will steer clear of bad wires.

As an idea- if you have the HK components and the connectors can you not ask a Very good audio installer to set it all up in a MINI? Wire as you go instead of making a full harness? I guess if you look at the cost of expensive Cables vs the harness it varies in complexity, cost, installation hassle, noise, etc.

Good luck.

200mph 09-22-2003 07:36 PM

Thanks to both. I've had parts managers in the US and UK run the harness part numbers and they are good numbers... they are just not available separately. They are only available as part of the upgrade kit, which is not available.
I do have the wiring diagram for the H/K upgrade, so it looks like I'll be doing the wire it as you go route. Hope I can get this done before its time to sell the MINI!

minihune 09-24-2003 02:39 AM

>>Thanks to both. I've had parts managers in the US and UK run the harness part numbers and they are good numbers... they are just not available separately. They are only available as part of the upgrade kit, which is not available.
>>I do have the wiring diagram for the H/K upgrade, so it looks like I'll be doing the wire it as you go route. Hope I can get this done before its time to sell the MINI!

OK, keep track of how many hours of labor are required and if it works out OK for you in the end.
Good luck. Keep us posted.
:wink:

Donald 10-13-2003 09:22 PM

Hi 200 MPH,

Do you have the wiring diagram for the H/K upgrade? Can you email to me? or just post in here, because I really need this rundown to connect to the aftermarket amp.

Thanks
email address: belenlip@adelphia.net