Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Those two useless buttons

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 02:47 AM
Slowride11
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those two useless buttons

So I've got a 05 MCSa and i want those two useless phone buttons to do something.. I'm not going to get the bluetooth so phone is out. what can i do with it.. anyone have more info on hacking into the iBus? and changing the functions of the buttons.. i wonder if it can switch mode on the head unit like the old ones did?

Old 11-27-2005, 03:58 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
I would love to hear whats possible with this. Maybe we can get "Mode" switching back like the 02-04's had with they MFSW on the two spoke.

Old 11-27-2005, 07:36 AM
Red Ryder
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. I have the two buttons also. It looks like there should be somewhere to program these buttons. Perhaps a way to mute the radio, turn on the interior lights, etc. I like the auto-up circuit, but is there not also a market for us "useless buttons" folks.

Old 11-27-2005, 07:56 AM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
when you all find something to do with those buttons let me know... having to have a bluetooth module AND those buttons is driving me crazy!!

Old 11-27-2005, 11:44 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the old steering wheel, I made a circuit that provided a relay contact output controlled by the unused (middle left) button ...
http://www.gbmini.net/mtblog/archive..._unusual.shtml

More Recently, Josh used it to provide fingertip on/off for DSC:
http://www.jwardell.com/mini/2005/09...ing-your-mods/

It would be easily possible to develop a similar circuit controlled by the new steering wheel buttons. It would also be possible to make a circuit which received a new button press and in response sent out an old one - that way you could bring back the "mode" button if you needed to.

The problem with these circuits is splicing into the correct wiring (12V+, 12V- and iBus) ...

Old 11-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Slowride11
2nd Gear
i guess we are going to have to wait for a wiring layout of the 3 spokes... I figure it was about the same but I'm no electronics expert.. so hopefully someone has the cajones to do it

Old 11-27-2005, 12:11 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
No wiring layout needed ... if you can monitor the iBus you can quickly identify the press/release codes transmitted for those buttons. Then "all" you have to do is make some electronics to respond appropriately.

Old 11-27-2005, 12:15 PM
Slowride11
2nd Gear
haha i like how you said "all" you have to do.. guess thats the tough part... what device do i need to read the iBus? and where is the ibus located.. that might be a good place to start

Old 11-27-2005, 12:43 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
slowride, gbmini already makes a circuit to read the ibus and toggle any switch, as he said I use it to toggle DSC.
The wire can be found behind the stereo and is easy to tap into.
MikeyTheMini also makes wiring harnesses so you don't have to do any tapping. (I believe he also sells 3rd party bluetooth and phone controls that use the steering wheel buttons)

Old 11-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Group B
2nd Gear
Vehicles equipped with the two Bluetooth buttons on the MFL can now accept Bluetooth without having to install the old, original-style Bluetooth module.

MINI recently released a new Bluetooth module for these newer vehicles which allows the functionality these buttons were designed for, and also provides provisions for a charger and a cradle in the armrest for certain phones.

Old 11-27-2005, 01:42 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
But David is somebody offering the new MINI kit for less than $1200 plus install?

The kit's a fantastic idea and I think in the eyes of many owners seriously overdue... But the price for the kit by itself nevermind the installation is a major shot at the viability of the MINI kit... Especially when you can get an aftermarket kit with the wiring harness from newministuff.com that enables the two extra buttons on the MFSW for much less.

You could put together a highly capable aftermarket kit that's compatible with all bluetooth phones (but doesn't charge) with the newministuff.com harness and get it installed for $500 or less. If you wanted to add the MINI armrest like the OEM kit offers, you could probably still come in less than $800...

Old 11-27-2005, 04:20 PM
mikeythemini
Former Vendor
I have one of Ians relays for the old 2 spoke wheel
I also have a relay that uses the phone button - you can use it for various things, it can be latching or not- one use could be to control my folding mirror kit

Old 11-29-2005, 07:53 AM
GRENDEL
3rd Gear
I have an idea for the middle button (I have a 2-spoke) but not sure if it can be done, and I know no one with the technical expertise to do it. So Gbmini maybe you can take the ball and run with it.( or atleast say it is impossible to do)

Would it be possible for it to activate a push to talk button on a radio(walkie talkie) I know there are times when doing runs through the twisties its hard to take hands off the steering wheel to contact the group. (and the voice activated pick up too much ambient noise and block the channel) It would be nice to have the radio mounted (maybe broken down and fit into the cup holder) ultimately maybe micro phone mounted in/near headrest and radio coming through car speakers (the technology is out there but can it be combined at a decent price?)

Old 11-29-2005, 08:02 AM
Red Ryder
Grendel, that is a great idea. How about using it to mute the radio for cell conversations, etc.? Or how about opening/closing the sunroof, or windows auto-up, so the hands stay on the wheel?

Old 11-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Red Ryder
Grendel, that is a great idea. How about using it to mute the radio for cell conversations, etc.? Or how about opening/closing the sunroof, or windows auto-up, so the hands stay on the wheel?
Ohhhhh i like all those idea's hehe. Specially since there are two buttons to work with.

Old 11-29-2005, 02:21 PM
Red Ryder
I happen to know that something is in the works after the first of the year. It would not be appropriate to say more, but I learned there may be something on the horizon.

Old 11-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
I happen to know that something is in the works after the first of the year. It would not be appropriate to say more, but I learned there may be something on the horizon.
Good to hear, i guess since you can't say anything now then just keep us updated in this thread as soon as you can tell us?

Old 11-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Alright. How about just a little more info? Who has something in the works?

Old 11-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Red Ryder
It is not me. I barely can screw in a lightbulb. I just happened to PM someone who made me aware of this. Just thought I would keep up the interest.

Old 11-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is not me. I barely can screw in a lightbulb. I just happened to PM someone who made me aware of this. Just thought I would keep up the interest.
OK. I'm interested. Can't wait to hear more!

Old 11-30-2005, 08:29 AM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
That would really be nice. There is nothing worse on a car that a button to nowhere.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:41 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by GRENDEL
I have an idea for the middle button (I have a 2-spoke) but not sure if it can be done, and I know no one with the technical expertise to do it. So Gbmini maybe you can take the ball and run with it.( or atleast say it is impossible to do)

Would it be possible for it to activate a push to talk button on a radio(walkie talkie) I know there are times when doing runs through the twisties its hard to take hands off the steering wheel to contact the group. (and the voice activated pick up too much ambient noise and block the channel) It would be nice to have the radio mounted (maybe broken down and fit into the cup holder) (clip) at a decent price?)
I really like that idea... have you ever lost your walkie talkie on a curve and had to try and get it back pulling on the wire to the ear piece

Earl

Old 12-14-2005, 11:55 AM
drewffff
2nd Gear
Those 2 useless buttons

People have been hacking the Ibus. The forum is on yahoo. Here is the link:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/HackTheIBus/

drewffff

Old 01-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Anyone have info I don't need to register for?

Old 01-21-2006, 07:12 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear

Quick Reply: Electrical Those two useless buttons