North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Electrical (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical-194/)
-   -   Electrical Add-a-Circuit (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/123811-add-a-circuit.html)

poolemac 12-23-2007 10:14 PM

Add-a-Circuit

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at getting an add-a-circuit to power my radar detector and had a quick question regarding the fuses..do I want the add-a-circuit for ATO / ATC fuses or for Mini fuses?

Secondly, which fuse(s) have people had success with to tap-into in the fusebox?

TIA!

Minidrivr 12-23-2007 10:46 PM

I used the ATO/ATC fuse one and put it on fuse #42. This is the fuse for the cig lighter/rear power outlet. It is the larger size fuse. The Mini has both size fuses. There is a clearance problem with the fuse box cover when using this fuse but a little bit of trimming on the inside of the cover and it fits fine.

Others have reported using fuse #32, which is the "mini fuse" size one.

edijak 01-21-2008 06:36 AM

Help please. Is fuse #42 in the fuse box inside the car or the engine compartment and where do you ground the circuit?

Minidrivr 01-21-2008 09:07 AM

It's in the fuse box inside the car. I grounded the circuit with the bolt visible inside the glovebox (near the fuse box). Other have used the fuse box mount as a ground as well.

edijak 01-25-2008 02:49 PM

Fuse Panel Cover Mod

Thanks MiniDrivr. :thumbsup: What was the nature of the panel cover modification:confused:

Minidrivr 01-25-2008 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by edijak (Post 2002242)
Thanks MiniDrivr. :thumbsup: What was the nature of the panel cover modification:confused:

On the back of the cover there are pieces perpendicular to the cover. Sort of a ridge that runs around. Where it goes over that fuse I cut away that part of the cover for clearance. Hard to describe, picture might help.

Attachment 28575

edijak 01-26-2008 04:23 AM

Thanks Minidrivr. This site is awesome-you need help, you get it from total strangers. My faith is restored.:sad:

Minidrivr 01-26-2008 10:57 AM

Helping is an easy thing to do..

edijak 01-26-2008 02:32 PM

Thanks to all of you in this discussion, "COOLPR" is now hardwired for radar detection. Of note, oPossum offered a great depiction of Fuse Panels and uses in his thread "Hot or Not" sometime back. When removing the fuse box cover and comparing the cover diagram to oPossums detailed explanation, I found several differences. I wound up using a Mini Add A Circuit in F23, grounding to the screw besides the glove box and all is well. The detector comes on when starting and shuts down when I am done dodging the "U know Whats" parked in the medians. As such, the LEDs in the detector do not draw the battery down if I forget to shut it off due to a small case of CRS.
Thanks to all for all the help

tony_boy 12-09-2011 09:44 AM

add-a circuit

hello,
just want to ask what year and model Mini you done the add-a-circuit. I have a 2007 R56 and F23 powers up my radar detector with the key off. Any suggestions on what mini-fuse I should use.
Appreciate any helpful feedback.

thanks
Tony in Texas

John_B 12-09-2011 10:24 AM

I hardwired my radar detector to the interior light circuit above the rear view mirror on my '05 MCSc. The detector comes on when the car is opened - just as the lights do, but also shuts off when the door are locked or the light timer turns the lights off...

Best thing is the wiring was only about 4" long!

tony_boy 12-12-2011 03:24 PM

Add-A circuit

Thanks for your help, I ended up using F32 on my 2007 MCS, a mini-fuse, works great, powers on/off w/engine.

GeneralSpecific 03-07-2019 07:54 PM

I just thought I'd raise this thread from the dead and mention that I used F32 on my 2014 Coupe S and it works just like tony_boy said.