Eastern Iowa MINIs Eastern Iowa MINI enthusiasts group

EIM Big Adventure to the Great Smoky Mountains -- 21-28 Sept

Old 08-16-2013, 05:27 PM
densan57
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are booked at the HIE also. Getting excited!

Old 08-17-2013, 07:52 AM
smieska
3rd Gear
We booked the Ramada just a couple of miles down the road.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:01 PM
05MINI
4th Gear
Originally Posted by smieska
This is kind of a must do day trip and it will take up most of the day but includes "The Dragon" and Cherohala Skyway. If you google map it I bet you can't count the number to curves encountered.
From Condo take 441 South to Sugarlands Visitor Center, turn right at Visitors Center on Old Hwy 73 Scenic/Little River Rd to Townsend, take 321 to Foothills Parkway, turn left on 129 (The Dragon) and stop at Deals Gap at the end of Dragon for Dragon memorabilia, stay on 129/Topeco Rd to Deyton Camp, turn right on North Carolina 143/Cherohala Skyway, 143 turns into Tennesse 165 at the border. continue on Cherohala Skyway to Tellico Plains(great place to stop and shop), just before Tellico Plains take 360 to Hwy 411/Greenback Rd to Maryville Tn, turn right on 321/E Lamar Alexander Parkway that will take us back to Pigeon Forge, turn left on 441 and back to condo.
We have done this route several times both directions and every time we see something we never noticed before. Other than getting sore arms from either steering thru the twists or holding on in the passenger seat I would consider this the most fun road I have ever been on.
We can't wait!

Old 08-19-2013, 03:14 PM
smieska
3rd Gear
Here is a great place to eat that we try to frequent every time we are down there. Great food and huge portions with a country atmosphere. Worth considering for dinner some evening.

http://www.applewoodfarmhouserestaurant.com/

Old 08-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds great. Sure glad we have the benefit of your experience and local knowledge. It would be a shame to miss out on any of these "don't miss" venues!

Old 08-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Little Rebel
1st Gear
LilRebel is getting her annual check up and new shoes on Thursday and will be ready to MOTOR with Louise at the helm and Thelma as co-pilot. Plan on heading out early Sat morn. Any last minute instructions?
We'll be taking some time to check out the mountain artists...http://www.gatlinburgcrafts.com/

Old 08-20-2013, 02:53 PM
smieska
3rd Gear
We have been on the Craft Loop a few times and there are more crafts than you can check out in a day.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Gil-galad
Here's another possible idea for a "full day" day trip if you like waterfalls, scenery, and quaint little towns...with the caveat that I don't know much about the roads other than what I can see in Google Street View. Though, they sure look mighty twisty, and US-64 is well advertised as a destination route...

US-441 through the Park to Cherokee; left on US-19 to Waynesville; turn right on Russ Ave which becomes US-276. Take a right on US-64 near Brevard; left on NC-281 which becomes SC-130; right on State Road S-37-413; right on SC-107 (becomes NC-107); then left on US-64 at Cashiers. Turn left on NC-106 at Highlands for two miles to Glen Falls, then back-track to Highlands and turn left to get back on US-64. Turn right on US-441 at Franklin and take it all the way back to Sevierville. (I originally considered including the Hellbender and the Dragon on the way back but it unfortunately made the route too long for a reasonable day drive.)

In addition to the chance to check out the mountain hamlets of Cashiers, Highlands, and Franklin, this route takes you past these falls in the following order: Sliding Rock Falls, Whitewater Falls, Silver Run Falls, Glen Falls, Sequoyah Lake Falls, Bridal Veil Falls (which you can drive behind), Dry Falls, Bust Your Butt Falls, and Cullasaja Falls. Most of these are right along the road or a short hike from the parking area.

Here it is on the map for your consideration: http://tinyurl.com/k2ew96l

Those with local knowledge, feel free to improve on this.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:31 PM
smieska
3rd Gear
We've been on the road to Cherokee and this is a great road thru the park with many twisties, we saw a few black bears crossing the road in front of us here, There is a Cherokee Indian museum in Cherokee also. This looks like another great route with the bonus of all the falls to check out along the way and the scenery Im sure will be what we dont see in Iowa. I am getting excited just thinking about all the fun this will be.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:49 AM
Gil-galad
Since I'm workin' on the road this week, while hanging out in my hotel room last night I decided to map out Steve and Peggy's Dragon - Cherohala Skyway route just for fun:

Note: This link also includes the correction pointed out by smieska in the subsequent post.

http://tinyurl.com/l86osju

One might think I'm already stoked up for this trip. And they'd be correct.

Last edited by Gil-galad; 08-31-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:10 AM
smieska
3rd Gear
Gary, Thanks for doing that. I was going to ask what you used to route it out so fancy on a map so I could do the same but you beat me to it. Can you then load the route in your GPS? Not that Im evaluating your skills and work but I think you may have missed a very cool portion of the route in the beginning. If we go down thru Gatlinburg on 441 to the Sugarlands Visitor Center and then turn right on Old Hwy 73 Scenic/Little River Rd to Townsend there is a river we follow with some very nice scenery and avoid some backtracking on the same road. If anyone is interested in stopping at the Visitor Center it is pretty cool as well. I am also getting excited as you can probably tell, I check for updates daily from others and we are going thru some of our collected tourist flyers to come up with other things we think the group may be interested in. I think we are less than a month away.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by smieska
...I think you may have missed a very cool portion of the route in the beginning. If we go down thru Gatlinburg on 441 to the Sugarlands Visitor Center and then turn right on Old Hwy 73 Scenic/Little River Rd to Townsend there is a river we follow with some very nice scenery and avoid some backtracking on the same road...
You were correct! Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways. I wasn't looking at Gatlinburg the first time with enough granularity to see that road. Definitely looks like a path that shouldn't be missed! I'm presuming you want to go out on this road and then stay on US-321 on the return trip.

It should be fixed now. Use the same link as in the previous post.

(It's amazing...the "Waterfall Route" I came up with is only ~40 miles longer than this one but it looks so much larger on the map. I guess that means your Dragon - Cherohala route has a hell of a lot of curves on it! )

Old 08-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Little Rebel
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 05MINI
Tom & I will probably work Friday and head out early Saturday morning for a straight through drive. If our plans change we will hook up with ya'll (practicing my southern speak) along the way.

As for things we want to do- The Dragon for sure and I would also like a day of exploring the NC area unique shops and Mom-n-Pop cafes. Other than that we will just enjoy the roads and company.

I am already counting the days! 38 days to go!
Perhaps we can motor together...what time are you heading out and from where? Thelma & Louise are starting from DSM.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:33 PM
05MINI
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Little Rebel
Perhaps we can motor together...what time are you heading out and from where? Thelma & Louise are starting from DSM.
We are leaving from just north of Dubuque. Our plan is to take 61 to I80 at Davenport, take I74 to Indianapolis, then pick up I65 there. I hope to leave here at 6:00am. We are an hour and a half from Davenport. What route did you guys plan to take?

Old 08-23-2013, 12:13 PM
05MINI
4th Gear
I can see from the routes posted that I need to lift some weights to build up my arm muscles for all the steering through curves I will be doing! Nah, that sounds like a lot of work. I will just bring extra ibuprofen.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:00 PM
miniturns
2nd Gear
I can see from the routes posted that I need to lift some weights to build up my arm muscles for all the steering through curves I will be doing! Nah, that sounds like a lot of work. I will just bring extra ibuprofen.
I am thinking hot tub and some grape juice when i get back to our room. Should be enough to get me in shape for the next day.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:20 PM
smieska
3rd Gear
These should be a Wirlpool tub in each unit and there are a couple of outside hot tubs close to the condos. They feel pretty good after a long day in the saddle. Make sure to bring your swim suits.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:05 AM
Little Rebel
1st Gear
We are leaving from just north of Dubuque. Our plan is to take 61 to I80 at Davenport, take I74 to Indianapolis, then pick up I65 there. I hope to leave here at 6:00am. We are an hour and a half from Davenport. What route did you guys plan to take?
We'll be taking the same route & hoping to leave at 6AM but we're a couple hours from Davenport so you'll be ahead of us. We'll keep an eye out for ya. With pit stops and such we may just meet on the road somewhere.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:34 PM
05MINI
4th Gear
We'll be taking the same route & hoping to leave at 6AM but we're a couple hours from Davenport so you'll be ahead of us. We'll keep an eye out for ya. With pit stops and such we may just meet on the road somewhere.
If you guys want, there is a BP gas station in Le Claire, IA-212 S Cody Road. It is the last exit before Illinois. We could meet up there and motor together.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:01 AM
Little Rebel
1st Gear
Meeting up with 05MINI

Try as I may I can't seem to reply with the quote. It keeps telling me to login. I guess I need lessons.
Anywho..I don't want you & Tom sitting there waiting for us when you could be motoring. Now that Gary has distributed our phone numbers how about we just give you a call once we're on the road & see where you're at and the possibity of meeting up with you.
Thelma and Louise are SO pumped for the trip! Can we leave now????

Old 08-27-2013, 12:27 PM
05MINI
4th Gear
Try as I may I can't seem to reply with the quote. It keeps telling me to login. I guess I need lessons.
Anywho..I don't want you & Tom sitting there waiting for us when you could be motoring. Now that Gary has distributed our phone numbers how about we just give you a call once we're on the road & see where you're at and the possibity of meeting up with you.
Thelma and Louise are SO pumped for the trip! Can we leave now????
We will keep in touch on the road. We are so ready to head out, too!

Old 08-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Gil-galad
I was doing some more drooling over the western NC map today.

If some folks make a day trip over to check out Asheville, it looks like TN-339 to TN-32 might be an awesome shortcut to take on the way there. It joins up with I-40 right on the TN-NC border.

---

And for those who might want to take a second crack at the Dragon while we're there (in the opposite direction) I came up with this little beauty as a possible option:

http://tinyurl.com/na4p4pd

It incorporates most of the Hellbender (NC-28) and also a local segment called Tilley Creek Road or Ellijay Road, depending on which end of it you're on. It seems to be a good quality road surface...and I was exploring this route using Google Street View and the first image I came up with was this...

Old 08-27-2013, 05:19 PM
smieska
3rd Gear
This looks like yet another good choice. We did a portion of this a couple of years ago and every road we went on was very well maintained and smooth. I guess they dont have the frost to deal with like we have in Iowa which makes for better road conditions. How many days left?

Old 08-28-2013, 05:09 AM
Gil-galad
I'm probably the last person to know about this, but I spied this little feature along US-441 in GSM Nat'l Park (which we will experience more than once). Reminds me of Iron Mtn Road out in the Black Hills...

Old 08-28-2013, 01:52 PM
smieska
3rd Gear
This should give Linda's arms the workout she has been looking forward to. This is the location we saw the 2 black bears cross the road in front of us, mama and cub and they were not in as big a hurry as I thought I was before we saw them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EIM Big Adventure to the Great Smoky Mountains -- 21-28 Sept